+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Weaning advice please

So I want to wean 17 mo DS as I'm pregnant and it hurts and I want a break before the next one.

We have successfully cut out the morning feed and the last 3 nights we have moved the before-bed feed to before his bath. He is a bit annoyed about not being fed to sleep at night but is coping ok.

My question is, do I continue to offer a feed before bath for a few more days or weeks even, till he gets used to going to bed without boob OR is this just creating another habit to break and should we maybe tonight offer him a bottle of milk instead of boob and start totally weaning him? Would it maybe be better if I got DH to do it and disappeared for a few nights, or would that upset him more?

How did you cut out that last feed of the day? Was it very stressful?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to duckduckgoose For This Useful Post:

tatia&shura  (13-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OMG YOU'RE PREGNANT!!! Woohoo!!

Sorry no weaning advice lol

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Me&MrMagoo For This Useful Post:

duckduckgoose  (13-06-2012),trishalishous  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Me&MrMagoo View Post
    OMG YOU'RE PREGNANT!!! Woohoo!!

Sorry no weaning advice lol
    Haha yep 9 weeks .

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm new to this whole BF situation but I can see what you mean about not wanting to start another habit before bath time and have to change it. I'd maybe lean towards the bottle now so that it gives both of you some time to get used to it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump

Thanks
    Reviews
    I actively weaned both my DD's when pregnant, at 14 and 16 months.
    I switched the last feed to before bath and then just "forgot" to do it every few days, then every 2nd night and then just stopped doing it after a couple of weeks. I really based it on my supply, so if I felt like I needed to feed I did, IYKWIM?
    As for the bottle, neither of my girls had one- I didn't replace boob for bottle.
    Do you think he needs that bottle before bed? Maybe a drink of water if he's thirsty?
    By that age my girls were eating enough during the day.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Sub Rosa For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I weaned dd1 when 7mths pregnant. We just went cold turkey. I left the house every night for a week and DH gave DD a sippy cup of milk before bed (usual pattern if I was out). Same thing the following week but I was home but pretending to be sleeping. Third week she didn't care.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Congrats!!!!!

We went down to the before bed boob, but then Ive just gotten so tired, I pop my boob out all day just to sit and have 5 seconds of quiet, so we are bf 4-5 times a day now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well last night we just skipped the feed and went straight to bath. He didn't seem to really notice, except when it came time for bed he was very grumpy. It took 2 hours of cuddling to get him to sleep and he cried on and off the whole time. He's just not used to falling asleep when it's dark without boob. It's like he can't get in a comfy position. During the day for nap time, often it only takes 10 mins of cuddling so I'm hoping the nights catch up soon.

Anyway. It was LESS stressful than I anticipated! So proud of my little boy for being so good about it.

Thanks everyone for the advice

Thanks
    Reviews
    We are in the same situation with my 22 month old. I'm definitely not giving her a bottle, they aren't recommended after 12 months anyway and it's just another bad habit to break! I like your technique of moving the bed feed to before bath, think I might give that a try! Good luck