+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default iui or get a sperm donor ??

me and my partner over the last weeks have had heaps of tests done including a semen analysis, a hcg test and blood tests. and it's proved that he doesn't have sperm in his semen and that's why I haven't got pregnant after 9 months trying. according to the doctors i'm completely fine. but he is considered "infertile." we were considering getting a sperm donor to do at home AI with. but we were on our fertility clinics website (repromed) and we discovered they do surgical sperm recovery... and it said even if there is no sperm in the semen eighty percent of the time they can get some through a small procedure, and the sperm they get can be used with ivf and iui. me and him are to young to get ivf, (not sure if there is a age limit
    on iui.) but it doesn't seem that expensive.. $600..

Now can anybody tell me the success rates with surgically removed sperm and iui? We are seriously considering it, if it means we could have our own biological child that is ours both. or should we just go with the donor which is free? Thanks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Bump.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depends a bit on where they collect the sperm from (vas, epididymis, testes). If they manage to get a heap of mature sperm (eg from vas deferens), then IUI has the same success rates as natural conception, about 20% per cycle, assuming the sperm are of normal quality.

If they do a biopsy of the testes and collect immature sperm then as far as I know you'd need to do IVF with ICSI, although in some circumstances (sperm maturity and quantity) IVF without ICSI might be possible. I've never heard of being too young for IVF, is there another clinic you can go to that doesn't have that ridiculous rule?

The hormone results will give a little suggestion as to the chances of finding sperm. If FSH is high and testosterone is low then he is probably not making many or any sperm. If those hormones are fine, then he's probably making sperm OK but they're unable to make their way into the ejaculate (eg blockage or missing vas).

My FIL recently had surgical sperm collection roughly 30 years after a vasectomy, but the quality of the sperm was not very good and 4 IVF/ICSI cycles failed.
    With my DH, when they did the biopsy (TESA) they didn't find any sperm, so he went on to the final step on the surgical sperm collection pathway which was microdissection. Unfortunately that surgery confirmed that there are no locations in his testes that produce sperm, and that he is missing the particular cells you need to develop into sperm (Sertoli-only syndrome).

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to felicita For This Useful Post:

crystal185  (13-06-2012),Elestrial  (03-08-2012)

Elestrial is offline recognising possibilities again. Thank you God!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi crystal. Just wanted to say my DH and I have gone down the donor path due to MFI, and the whole thing is a very complex and emotional process. Make sure you talk to each other. And talk to your dr's. They have been there and done that and they have heard very question you could ask.
    Hpe all goes well for you. E

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi,
    My husband and I were in the same position as you. I already have 2 children and I am fine but hubby has no "swimmers". We decided not to have the surgery as they probably wouldn't find any and we were happy to go with donor. It wasnt that hard. My hubby was fine with it as at least we can still raise a baby together and its still his baby on birth cert etc. We went to 1 clinic in sydney and did IUI not drug assisted - no luck then 2 rounds of IVF no luck after 3 embros each time were put in. We tried a different place then IVF Australia. Highly recommend them! They are very thourough and great to deal with. I decided since there was nothing wrong with me we would go back to the IUI and it worked 1st go with IVF Australia. We are now 12wks 4days!! Its really worth considering. And hubby is happy too! And by the way it doesnt matter about age with fertility clinics. Its for anyone with fertility issues no matter the age.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default iui or get a sperm donor ??

Quote Originally Posted by crystal185 View Post
    me and my partner over the last weeks have had heaps of tests done including a semen analysis, a hcg test and blood tests. and it's proved that he doesn't have sperm in his semen and that's why I haven't got pregnant after 9 months trying. according to the doctors i'm completely fine. but he is considered "infertile." we were considering getting a sperm donor to do at home AI with. but we were on our fertility clinics website (repromed) and we discovered they do surgical sperm recovery... and it said even if there is no sperm in the semen eighty percent of the time they can get some through a small procedure, and the sperm they get can be used with ivf and iui. me and him are to young to get ivf, (not sure if there is a age limit
    on iui.) but it doesn't seem that expensive.. $600..

Now can anybody tell me the success rates with surgically removed sperm and iui? We are seriously considering it, if it means we could have our own biological child that is ours both. or should we just go with the donor which is free? Thanks
    Hi there Crystal. I just wanted to say that age is not an issue re fertility treatment, in NSW, and as far as I know across Australia. If there is a medical issue that requires medical intervention then ART treatment is available (ART=Assisted Reproductive Technologies).