+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    When DS was in NICU, I was up on the ward when a baby on an open resus bed was rushed passed me down to NICU. I went down because it was DSs feed time and they were trying to stabilize the baby. I was talking to his mum and she was saying it was a routine induction, 10 days over, he'd been doing great then at 3 days old cardiac arrest.

They stabilized him and every time I went down there that night severals nurses and doctors would be working on him.

Early in the morning I was holding DS, he had just fallen asleep, all of a sudden alarms started going off. 5 minutes later a doctor took the mum out and I heard this blood curdling scream. Her baby had passed.

I'll never forget that moment, that scream, so filled with pain and sadness.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    When DS was in NICU, I was up on the ward when a baby on an open resus bed was rushed passed me down to NICU. I went down because it was DSs feed time and they were trying to stabilize the baby. I was talking to his mum and she was saying it was a routine induction, 10 days over, he'd been doing great then at 3 days old cardiac arrest.

They stabilized him and every time I went down there that night severals nurses and doctors would be working on him.

Early in the morning I was holding DS, he had just fallen asleep, all of a sudden alarms started going off. 5 minutes later a doctor took the mum out and I heard this blood curdling scream. Her baby had passed.

This makes me tear up. How sad

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I know of a family that had a baby at 30wks and thus he was put in intensive care. They knew he was doing well and didn't really have any concerns for him. It was just a process of him progressing through his recovery. But his mother said the worst part about him being in ICU was seeing other peoples babies die, especially when a fullsized baby was brought in, because that meant there was something really wrong with it.

She was so relieved when he graduated to special care, not because it meant that he had improved, but because the other babies in special care were not at grave risk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post

That cry rings in my ears so easily and it is the reason I appreciate the little things as much as I can

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    As a NICU nurse, I can only imagine how upsetting it is for other parents in the NICU when a baby dies, especially since most parents in the NICU get to know one another in their time there.

In an emergency situation in NICU or any other hospital ward, the priority is to save the patient's life. We do try to close curtains, doors etc, but in a rush sometimes there either is no time or you simply need the extra space to do what you need to do.

I know in my NICU there are 6 babies in each room. We have no curtains. We do have privacy screens on wheels that are stored down the other end of the unit. It takes time to get these. We also need to use most of the space in the room for resus trolleys, drug trolleys etc. Ideally in an emergency we would ask all other parents to leave the room, but this is not always possible nor able to be done quickly if they are feeding, bathing, cuddling babies etc. so, we do what we have to do in order to save the baby's life. I will always apologise to other parents afterwards, and allow them to debrief if they need to, but at the end of the day, they know that if it was their baby they would want us to worry about saving them and not grabbing privacy screens.

OP and PP, I'm sorry you were upset by what you saw. Unfortunately that is the nature of being in a hospital. We are privilege to witnessing the start of life (newborns) all the way through to the end of life.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Awesome For This Useful Post:

Brandnewbeginnings  (13-06-2012),LifeInShadesOfGrey  (13-06-2012)

LifeInShadesOfGrey is offline Just a little bit silly :)
    Winner 2012 - Best Username
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I'm sorry you had to witness that and yes I do feel for the staff who deal with death daily. It's a terrible and traumatic thing to witness. Quite a number of years ago a motorbike raced past me about 10 at night. I came over the rise and he was under a 4wd, the 4wd had pulled out not realising the speed the bike was travelling and they collided. He died right there.

It stuck with me for a long time. But it does get easier as the days go on and you will feel okay in the future.

Massive hugs xx