+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    On May 5, my brother was in a serious accident. Face planted a van into a ditch after hitting a bridge. He is very lucky to have survived, but was in ICU for a while. During his stay we saw lots of awful things. 2 will stay with me forever.

On the same day, another family had an accident on the way to see the sister of the chick, who has leukemia. They were hit side on. The other car hit the driver side, the youngest girl was in her car seat in the middle, the other girl was in the seat on the passenger side, their mum was front passenger and their dad was driving. They were hit at 50k/hr, they had airbags but the dad's vital organs had shut down and he was brain dead. That will forever haunt me. My brother was doing 100k/he on the highway, in a van, no airbags.

The next day, a woman was wheeled out of theatre as we went passed, she was shown her baby and I went all fuzzy at the mother-bub sight but then the baby was covered with a sheet and the heart break is immeasureable.

I am so sorry you saw what you saw.

ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    When I went in for an operation on my hand, I was in the ER next to a young girl who hadn't stopped bleeding since her termination. I was sent upstairs but as I left, she had people crowded around her and nurses running from the desk to assist.
    I think she might have passed away

I hope you're doing okay

Thanks
    Reviews
    When I was in labour with dd (induction) I decided to go or a little walk to try and get things moving along with my labour.

As I was pacing the corridors just outside the maternity ward they were pushing a patient down to the morgue in his/her bed from another ward but he/she was covered with a white blanket

It was something I didn't want to see, all though the person was covered it was still an awful feeling and sight.

to you
    I really feel for the nurses and drs who have to see so much of it every day..

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    When DS broke his arm we were in the hospital emergency wards and they rushed in a guy on a stretcher right past us and into the resus bed beside us. They pulled the curtain back and we were just leaving so I don't know what the outcome was, but I will never, ever forget what he looked like on that stretcher.. it did not look good and he more than likely died, just judging on what I saw, the colour of him etc.. not good at all. It's an awful thing to witness. Try not to think about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    From someone who works in an emergency I always feel bad for things that people may see that they probably should have, but there are times that unfortunately a curtain is just one thing that can't be done quick enough.
    I know that when we have horrible things happen I probable wear it on my face and it's almost as obvious as if you've seen it because it's normal for it to get to you, I don't think I would be happy to still be a nurse if it didn't.
    I am really sorry that you had to see it, and I promise you that the nurses there would have been also.
    Hope your LO is ok

6. The Following User Says Thank You to shani2 For This Useful Post:

JDiddy  (13-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks so much everyone. It's been a long night for many reasons. I can't fault the nursing staff and their absolute priority should have been the patient, absolutely. I just wish one of the ones who was observing could have pulled the curtain. It can't be an easy job and I have such respect for hospital staff.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by shani2 View Post
    From someone who works in an emergency I always feel bad for things that people may see that they probably should have, but there are times that unfortunately a curtain is just one thing that can't be done quick enough.
    I know that when we have horrible things happen I probable wear it on my face and it's almost as obvious as if you've seen it because it's normal for it to get to you, I don't think I would be happy to still be a nurse if it didn't.
    I am really sorry that you had to see it, and I promise you that the nurses there would have been also.
    Hope your LO is ok
    The big thing is this: life happens.

I've done a number of public resuses and trauma management in my time and on the other side of the scale, will always be shocked and frustrated at crowds that gather to 'watch'.

I guess I agree with Shani is saying in regard to a hospital environment - sometimes small things like the curtain will be overlooked, but, without getting to airy fairy, if you witness that kind of stuff, I guarantee you it'll make you hug your little one a little tighter at bed time and tell the important people in your life how much you love them. xo

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'll pay that, you're very right

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Bunny Lover For This Useful Post:

JDiddy  (13-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a tough situation to be in. I've recently been on both sides - the stranger knowing someone has died (in NICU) and also the family member of someone who died (first in emergency but then stabilised and then actually died the next evening on the ward).

In both situations I wished I was invisible.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh, in NICU, how terrible all of these baby stories make me sad