+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Depending on the 14 year old's maturity.

I used to leave ds (3) and dd (1) with a 14 year old who was extreemly mature (seemed like she was 25). She had a sister who was the same age as my dd so knew exactly how to look after a bub. I was very comfortable with leaving them with her.

If your baby sitter was similar then i would feel comfortable with leaving my 2year old in her care especially knowing her parents are next door (whom I am sure will pop over to check on her anyway)

Not sure if i would leave my 8 and 12 year old children alone. Only you know their maturity. If you do is it possible to ask the adult neighbours to pop over a check on them before they go to bed and give your kids the adult neighbours phone number.

1 adult probably should stay sober incase something happened and you were totally aware.

If you have dinner prepared, a few movies etc I cant see to much of a problem. Would also depend largely where you lived and what your suburb was like to I think. I lived in the city and my house backed onto a park and wouldn't have felt comfortable but now in a small town I would feel fine I think.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Yeah, I would do it as a once off. The chances of anything bad happening are pretty tiny. If you think about it, just as many bad things are likely to happen while you are at home asleep - an awake 14 year old with adults next door is probably better placed to deal with an emergency than a sleeping adult.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the WeekBusiest Member of the Week - week ended 5/2/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 31/10/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 24/10/14Busiest Member of the Week
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben&Jake&SamanthasMum View Post
    I an actually really surprised people have a problem with a 14 year old babysitting 2 year olds that will be sound asleep with her parents right next door. I can see not agreeing with leaving the boys but I have no problems with a 14 year old babysitting at all. She will be driving next year.
    No She won't. You get your License at 17 here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    If you boys already look after themselves twice a week at home I see no issue - its not a random trial you know they will be fine, and they have the support of the 14yo and her parents if required. Sounds fine. I looked after myself and my sis/bro when I was 12 and they were 8/9 a couple of nights a week. I babysat families at 14.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Def do a risk assessment yourself op, only you know all the kids involved,

If it were my kids? Heck no. But my situation is different to yours.

I hadto babysit my newborn brother and young sister every afternoon after school and for 3 or so hours from the time i was 12... We survived.

Having said all that... A few suburbs away from where i live. A mother and father left their chidlren similiar ages home one night to go watch a big fight on the big tv at the pub, the neighbours kids were over too.

The house burned down and all of the children died. The parents copped soooooooo much judgement, it basically forced them to leave town completely, and im sure their guilt was an even heavier burden.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Like others have said- you know your kids and what they can/can't cope with. I'd leave my kids with a responsible 14 yr old with her parents next door. And I'd leave my kids home alone for a few hours if I was close by at the ages of 8-12 provided the dynamic between them was ok, like PP said, knowing how they interact is important- at the moment I'd trust mine at home alone on their own more than together coz they'd be fighting and carrying on if we left them to their own devices! If they are used to it after school, I'm sure they'll be fine, maybe just ask the babysitters mum to keep an ear/eye out?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with what most have said - its probably fine depending on kids. Can you drop home a few times during the game just to check on boys?

I think the 14 year old is fine. This would not be uncommon I think.

~Marigold~ is offline You make me happy, when skies are grey
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It can't be said that 14 is too young to babysit.. not all 14 year olds are the same, obviously. The 14 girl you know could be more than capable. the 14 I know could be immature and childish. I look at it this way: will she know how to handle the situation in an emergency? That's how I judge what I allow my own 12 year old son to do. Would I let him babysit a 2 year old? Two 2 year olds? No. Because I can't see him capable of dealing with two screaming 2 year olds, which could potentially be the case as they are away from their parents. The 14 year old babysitting the toddlers totally depends on the girl. She will know what to do in case of an emergency, can have her mother there within seconds if needed etc..
    I just wouldn't feel right leaving the 11 with the 8 year old. If (and I know it's highly unlikely) someone broke in, what would he do? How would he handle the situation? I know this is "worst case scenario" talk, but still, it would be niggling at me the whole night (not so much the 14 year old) and I personally wouldn't be able to enjoy myslef. I much prefer (at least) everyone under the one roof.
    Why can't the girl's mum sit in on the babysitting, in the same house for the few hours?

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I would BUT I live in a small town, where people still dont lock their doors.
    In the city, never.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Personally I would BUT I live in a small town, where people still dont lock their doors.
    In the city, never.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast