+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Do it IMO, I was babysitting at 14, the girl was 8. I was her baby sitter for 7 years only stopped cause she turned 15 and didn't need me anymore! Kids can be more responsible than you think

2. The Following User Says Thank You to miztrezz For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    No way...
    14 years old is too young to be babysitting. I started babysitting at 16 and there was still crap i didnt know like you can't put a foil tray in the microwave! (was trying to bake muffins with the kids).

And 11 years old is too young to be looking after an 8 year old.

If something bad happened, what would the newspaper headline say? Parents leave kids home alone while off at the pub.

It sounds like a great night though, and i can understand how you'd want to go. Perhaps your hubby can stay home and babysit while you go out?

missybubble is offline I'm a strange one, but I'm good at it :)
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it depends on the 14 year old, if she is responsible and mature then why not, as her parents will be right next door. I'd prefer that all the kids were together but it's your choice

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    One of our babysitters is 14 and we leave her with the toddlers asleep. We get our child care qualified 22yr old babysitter for days.
    Only YOU know what you are comfortable with and what your children and your friends children are capable of.
    It's a very grey area that only you can judge I think.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to faroutbrusselsprout For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (15-06-2012),Liddybugs  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Legally no child under the age of 16 should be left with out adult supervision. So I would say no to allowing this to happen.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to AngelaR For This Useful Post:

VicPark  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was 12 and looking after a 8 and 6 year old. Again it comes down to if YOU feel comfortable with this If the 14 year old is mature enough go for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldn't leave a 12 and 8 year old alone in this situation but I don't know your children and their maturity levels, i'm naturally over protective and I don't know the area you live. I feel you can only assess your situation and make decisions based on that.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by waterlily View Post
    Personally.. No way in hell would I leave my 2 year old with a 14 year old babysitter OR my 8 and 12 year old alone.
    This exactly ^^

It's funny though because I have a cousin who has been babysitting since she was 12-13 and is very mature, I trust her completely.

BUT I still wouldn't leave my 2yr old with her even, just not comfortable with it at all. If something were to happen, I'd never forgive myself and it's way too much responsibility for such a young girl. Just IMO...

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it does depend on what the 14 year old and 12 year old are like?

I don't have a 12 year old yet so it's hard to say.

I personally wouldn't leave my 2 year old with a 14 year old. My 2 year old would be very distressed if she woke and myself or dh wasn't there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    The older kids I could understand. But there is absolutely nothing on earth that could make me leave my 2 year old with a 14 year old, in bed or not..I can be pretty over protective with him being my first though haha. Have you considered hiring a babysitter from a proper company for a few hours?