+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Would most people be ok with this?

Ok, DH and I are having a bit of an issue and I can't decide if this is ok. I entered a comp at the local pub to watch Origin with free drinks and food for us and 4 others. I was super excited because we literally never get to go out so it should be a fun night. The problem is, my in laws are away and we have nobody to watch the kids. My neighbors are going with us and we will be putting my 2 year old and hers to sleep at her house and the neighbor girl on her other side (14) is going to come and stay there. Her parents will be home right next door. We are thinking of leaving my two boys at home to watch tv and then they would go to bed at about 8:30. My boys are 8 and almost 12 (next month). I didn't want to leave them next door because I am worried they would start being annoying since they don't particularly get along with the 14 year old girl and I don't want the babies to get woken up. So they would have her right next door and her parents two doors down and we would also be only a 5 minute walk away. They are home alone in the afternoon on the days I work a couple days a week for 1.5 hours after school and my oldest son is really responsible. So after this long explanation, I guess I am wondering what the general consensus is. Is it ok to leave them in this situation or totally bad. Sometimes I think my judgement gets clouded because back in Canada people are really, really uptight about this sort of thing. I have found since moving here I have relaxed a bit in my parenting but don't want to cross the line into negligence, KWIM?
    Last edited by CanadianKangaroo; 12-06-2012 at 20:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I would do it.I was babysitting at 14!
    Plus her parents are right next door,and you are only down the road.
    I say go for it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Hmmm I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving a 14 year old in charge. I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving kids unattended, sorry.

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Personally.. No way in hell would I leave my 2 year old with a 14 year old babysitter OR my 8 and 12 year old alone.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Personally no, I couldn't do that.

My DD1 is nearly 13yrs and my twins are 8.5yrs and I wouldn't do that with them.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I don't like the idea of the kids being home alone, I think it would be best if all were at the house with the 14 yr old. Do you know her well?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am happy to see both sides of this . See, when I was 12 I was babysitting too, and babysitting toddlers. I was really serious and responsible and so is ODS. It's a hard one. I am thinking of a compromise though. The free food and drinks only go until half time so I am thinking I might leave at half time and leave everyone else there to finish the game. That way I would be home around 9 so they would only be here a couple hours.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DD was babysitting 2yo at 13yo and still regularly babysits younger kids. It depends on the babysitter and how mature they are.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Merlsy For This Useful Post:

Liddybugs  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think i failed to follow all that and figure out which kids were going to be where. I wouldn't leave a two tear old without an adult though. I would potentially leave the eight and 12 year old alone if i was five mins away but can't really say cos i don't have children that age yet.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I an actually really surprised people have a problem with a 14 year old babysitting 2 year olds that will be sound asleep with her parents right next door. I can see not agreeing with leaving the boys but I have no problems with a 14 year old babysitting at all. She will be driving next year.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CanadianKangaroo For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (15-06-2012),Liddybugs  (12-06-2012)