+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Repeated blocked ducts in one breast only

Has anyone had persistent and stubborn blocked ducts in one breast only? I battle blockages all the time in my left breast and have been for the last 2 months.

I know both the causes of blocked ducts and how to treat them (or else I would have had mastitis a number of times). So I'm not after that information.

What I'm wanting to know from anyone whose been there is if there turned out to be some abnormal reason for your blockages. Was there anything going on in one breast that prevented it draining well?

An LC suggested it could be a low grade infection...? She also suggested getting a diagnostic ultrasound done. I will as soon as I can arrange it.

If I can't get this resolved, my DS will be on formula very soon. I've already had to begin supplementing because my left breast gets so blocked that he can barely get milk from it. Then once I've finally cleared the blockage (can take days) my supply is way down. He's less and less persevering with breastfeeding because of these issues.

I'm so emotional at the prospect of ending our breastfeeding, so I just wanted to check whether there might be some hope before this door closes. : (

Thanks in advance for any insight!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had the same ... It was only the inside half of my right boob ... So painful ... I was told it was cause my milk was so thick and creamy. I just had to get bub to keep feeding so it would unblock
    Sorry not much insight here ... Just want you to know I feel your pain

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had the exact same problem as smartiecat, has been driving me driving crazy for almost two months now

Thanks
    Reviews
    It is so frustrating isn't it! For bubs too! DS won't breastfeed when it's blocked. He doesn't like to work too hard for his milk as it is and he won't stay on the breast if it's not flowing to his satisfaction. I have to get blockages out through other means.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yep my milk usually came out so easily it really pi$$ed him off that he had to work for it. I would give him some from the other side so he wasn't starving and then put him on there.
    I used to put a bag of frozen peas (no cover on them straight on the skin) on the affected area : which helped a little bit for the pain.
    I just kind of persisted for about 5 mths then ds decided it was boring feedin from me so he went to a bottle (I was actually really relieved) the worst was when it was 3 1/2 day I was blocked for - I was very distressed, bordering on hysterical - a LC from our local bf clinic made a house call on her way home from work. Lol
    I've never heard of anyone who have had this so it's nice to hear I'm not the only one.
    Bf is wonderful - but only if it's working for both of you - so please remember that when you make a decision about ff. I'm not pro bf or ff - I m just pro what is best for mum ... At the end of the day if you are distressed that's not good for bub

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've googled it every time it happens. One technique which seemed to help with unblocking was to place an electric toothbrush or vibrator against the blockage while feeding / expressing, felt like it worked or maybe it just lifted my spirits

Also found this
    "Lecithin is a food supplement that seems to help some mothers prevent blocked ducts. It may do this by decreasing the viscosity (stickiness) of the milk by increasing the percentage of polyunsaturated fatty acids in the milk. It is safe to take, relatively inexpensive, and seems to work in at least some mothers. The dose is 1200 mg four times a day."

I am yet to try this but it sounds promising

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Wigglepuss. I have heard about those techniques. Don't have the equipment for the first suggestion, lol. DS has milk/soy protein intolerance, no eggs or nuts either. Lecithin is typically from soy, but apparently has no protein in it. I was going to use it but dietician said to avoid in those sorts of doses. I think I'm going to try it anyway because I'm not ready to give up breastfeeding yet!! Plus, the hypoallergenic formula smells disgusting and it's made him more refluxy and made his eczema worse.