+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Please Help. Any advice appreciated

My daughter will be 6 months old next week. She has always been nursed to sleep. I asked with my clinic nurse, last thursday, how to go about wrapping her and putting her straight down in her cot to sleep insead of nursing her, also i asked about her constant crying when going to sleep or laying on the floor. It is as if my daughter is chucking a tantrum. She suggested with the crying to squirt my daughter in the face with a light mist from a water squirter. This seems to be working. But my husband does not want to do this. With the wrapping and straight to sleep situation its not going as successful. The suggestion was to go from chest -> lap -> beside on lounge -> other end of lounge -> cot with chair beside and hand on top -> then to gradually move chair away from cot and eventually out of room. We are up to the in cot with hand on top and have been for the last 2 days. It is taking twice as long to put her to sleep. My husband can't cope. I'm starting to loose it as I'm the only one that has the patients to sit and wait for her to go to sleep.

I ended up just putting her in her cot, turned her music on and walked out as I can't take any more of this crying. I'm ready to walk out of the house and leave her to cry.

HELP ME PLEASE!!!! I'M DESPERATE!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    You can continue to nurse to sleep if you want.

i wouldn't spray my child in the face. that is really bizarre advice.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Have u tried a dummy?

I was told by my CHN to comfort until bub stops crying, then put him in bed, and walk out. If he starts crying again go back in, try to settle, if he won't settle in cot, pick him up again until he's settled, then put him
    Back down in cot, walk out etc

These things take a lot of time and patience.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to SAgirl For This Useful Post:

HugsBunny  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    P.s as the PP said u can continue to feed to sleep however this MAY cause more issues later on. All depends on the baby and how u feel about it long term

As for spraying bubs in the face I have never heard of this and I don't think it's something I would do...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Put into bed. Pat and walk out. If still crying a minute later, walk in, don't make eye contact, pat gently making soothing noises (don't pick up), walk out. Keep doing this making the gap longer. It is laborious but extremely effective.

Thanks
    Reviews
    She does have a dummy but has recently gone off it, as she has worked out she can take it out or just spit it across the room. Won't take it now unless she is extremely tired and distressed, then once calmed will spit it. If I try and put it in any other time she just gags on it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by samken View Post
    Put into bed. Pat and walk out. If still crying a minute later, walk in, don't make eye contact, pat gently making soothing noises (don't pick up), walk out. Keep doing this making the gap longer. It is laborious but extremely effective.
    Approximately how long did this take to be effective?

Thanks
    Reviews
    What do you want to do?? Ignore everything you've heard, read or been told. (not here today, I mean in general) what do you want? I fed/ feed all my kids to sleep. I'm happy to do so. I still stay with my eldest two as they fall asleep. There are so many ways to get them to sleep but you have to choose what you are comfortable with and what your baby is comfortable with.

I personally could never leave my kids to cry to sleep. But I know some people are happy to do that.

Call / visit karitane or tressellian for advice or solutions.

Google pinky McKay she is a softy.
    Or Babybliss have age appropriate things in their website.

Best wishes

Thanks
    Reviews
    These things really do take time to change. I would give yourself at least another week and then review your progress. All you bubs has known for her whole life is one way of getting to sleep, so it will be a big change for them. No cry solutions take longer but are gentler methods than CC/CIO. You need to do what you are comfortable with though.

Did your DH go with you to the clinic? Maybe another appointment where you are both there would help you to come to a mutually agreeable solution?

I agree with PP trescillian are worth a call to get some support. They have a facebook app which you can use privately to get online support 24/7 if you would prefer that. ( I did)

Have you read Ellizabeth Pantley No Cry Sleep Solutions? There is a good overview of the book here: http://www.mybabysleepguide.com/sear...eep%20solution

Good Luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I recommend Pinky McKay or Elizabeth Pantley's books. I attended a BabyBliss seminar and I found Jo Ryan to give some excellent advice.

I agree with PPs that spraying her with water seems to be strange advice