+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default BF a snacking newborn

Hoping someone can help me - my DD (9 days old) is currently snacking a lot - feeding every 1/2 hour sometimes, for maybe 10 minutes, then she dozes off for a little nap. I don't mind, but I'm not sure when to change boobs - do I swap every time? Do I still offer the second breast even though she is clearly asleep? I think she's having her first growth spurt so I know it won't be like this forever.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Congratulations!

Everyone will have differing opinions, but I would wake her to offer the other side. If she's only drinking for 10mins but waking every 30mins, perhaps she isn't getting enough each feed before she falls asleep?

Having said that, cluster feeding is perfectly normal at that age and bubs are so sleepy/squishy! I'm jealous, can't wait to have a newborn again

Thanks
    Reviews
    Double

Thanks
    Reviews
    Try waking her when she falls asleep. Try tickling her foot or maybe talking to her. If that doesn't work, take her off, change her bum then offer the same breast if she hadn't been on all that long. Once i did that a few times, my ds started to get into that routine and would stay awake for the whole feed. ( whole feed meaning one breast, change bum, other breast, bed)

I hope that helps a little. Im sure there are more experienced mums on here that may have different suggestions.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thank you! I will start to wake her. I do at night so she gets her whole feed but she just started her snacking in the day time behaviour so I wasn't sure if I should follow her lead or do the same as the night.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If she is only having a small feed, I would offer the same side. It's very important that the breast is fully drained, to prevent blocked ducts and also to establish your supply (when the breast is drained, you produce more milk)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Laksa View Post
    If she is only having a small feed, I would offer the same side. It's very important that the breast is fully drained, to prevent blocked ducts and also to establish your supply (when the breast is drained, you produce more milk)
    How long should she feed per side - is there a time or is everyone different? Parenting is confusing!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My little one (10 weeks now) did the same thing. I called the ABA hotline and they suggested playing with her hands when she stops nutritive sucking (where their jaw really drops as opposed to a little wiggle). I would give her about 20 mins on the first side with plenty of tickling her hands and feet to keep her alert, then my b00b would feel kinda soft so I'd change sides and leave her there until she didn't seem interested anymore. I'd also give her a nappy change between sides at night to really wake her up.

The ABA were great- give them a call if you're not sure about anything!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I used to change the nappy to wake DS up then offer the boob. He used to do 20 mins before I'd boot him off and offer the other side. They are all different though. My friends baby was an amazing feeder from day one and would do 5 mins, one breast and that was a full feed!! He wasn't a light weight either. My DS halved his feed time around 8-10 weeks. Anyway back to the question, I'd probably try to keep bub awake to have a longer feed and discourage the snacking but that's me