+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Morning sickness and work

Hello ladies, I am hoping there's someone here who can offer me advice on this topic or particularly what they did that helped !!! I have been absolutely bowled over, feel like I've been run over by a truck style- with morning sickness. It started at week 6, one week ago. On top of that last week I had the flu and consequently I've had 5 days off work. Tomorrow I go back. I can't (we can't) afford for me not to. At it's worst, I can vomit Upto 7 times per day, others I might vomit once. I constantly feel queasy regardless. How have other women here managed morning sickness and work? What advice can u give? What makes it trickier is I am
    A teacher and 25 children are in my constant care... Any advice would be v much appreciated x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh I remember the joys of MS

Oh big hugs to you Mine started at 6 weeks and was terrible...the vomiting a couple times a day finished around week 11, at which point it turned into vomiting 1 times a day (in the morning) until I gave birth.

I must admit by 11 weeks it was a lot more bearable I was nauseated in the morning until about 11am which point it went away for the rest of the day. I took some ginger pills which I think helped a bit. There is also a wafer that will stop the vomiting but from what I hear are pretty expensive...some other tips

* Put some dry biscuits next to your bed and have one as soon as you wake up before you stand up.

* Eat what you feel like you can eat...I ate mac and cheese and plain bread for about 3 weeks cause that was all I could keep down

* I found a sweet drink like pepsi sipping during the day helped a bit with the dizziness (not sure if you have this)

In the end I am not sure how effective each were. If it gets to the point you cant function I would suggest see the GP. With any luck like me it will subside in a few weeks...

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Meld85 For This Useful Post:

MrsBren  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's a natures own I think it is morning sickness tablet that works amazingly.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Lou89 For This Useful Post:

MrsBren  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    See your GP! I am taking Zofran which is $$ but at least i can make it to work occasionally now.. I tried all the other tips n tricks thrown at me.. but zofran is the only thing that has helped.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to crazyaboutbubs For This Useful Post:

MrsBren  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies, thanks so much for the replies! I have seen a GP and they printed off a sheet of foods that could help, but thus far aren't helping too much. I have been eating a biscuit before getting out of bed and am eating a bit of fruit here and there. I'll def have to look into the natures own tablet. I just hope I can get back to work and cope! It's such a worry! X

Thanks
    Reviews
    While I personally have never been pregnant, so have no idea about this, but, is there a particular time of day you tend to throw up more then other times?

Could you arrange to have a teacher aid in the room between say 1 and 3pm or something like that, if that's when your most likely to blah?

Otherwise, can you keep a bucket outside and nip out to blah, have a swig of something to rinse your mouth out and go on like it didn't happen (going outside to not frighten the kids of course).

OR if the kids are in grade 5,6 or 7, perhaps you could send a note home that you want to show/teach the kids the perils of being pregnant (thus helping eliminate teen pregnancies) and just barf and dry hack infront of them all day long... Hopefully then many of the girls will look like this until at least their 20's...

Let me know if any of the above was useful

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for your reply, there is no particular time of the day, just whenever it feels the need to rare it's ugly head. It's horrible and unpredictable. Am feeling sick all day, but get suddenly an overwhelming need to vomit! Sometimes it's a wrench sometimes it's a 1/4 bucket full (sorry TMI!).. I won't be telling the children as it's far too early in my pregnancy (I am 7 weeks and one day). I have only told my boss, so that he's aware as I am sure there will be days that are worse than others! Thanks for your replies x

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well nothing worked for me except I changed my shift from morning to the night shift as I was less sick. The only advice I can give is to take it is easy, don't push yourself and sip on water.

Just remember it does get bearable once you enter second trimester. Good luck!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Zofran wafers are the best thing! After not keeping much down for 3 weeks 3 days on Zofran I'm almost feeling human again, they are expensive, around $8 a tablet. I would pay more because of the difference they make! They stop the vomiting, I still feel a bit quesy, but if I sip water that seems to work best! Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    I was vomiting about 7 times a day too from weeks 8 through to 14, I'm 27 weeks now and usually have a dry heave of a morning, and rarely I will have to bring up something that didn't agree with me as well but not often. I tried every trick in the book including the Blackmores MS formula- I couldn't even keep one tablet down let alone have it time to work. I ended up in emergency ward on the drip and they gave me zofran. I hate unnecessary drugs especially when preg but this stuff was a miracle for me. I took one 4mg dissolvable wafer a day for a few weeks and I really could eat and function again. After about 8 days off work and losing 3kg it was so much of a lifesaver. If u can't manage then see if u can get it, docs don't like prescribing it as its category b drug class so not as safe as a class but I found Maxolon (class a) did nothing for me. Good luck and as awful as it is, it does pass x