+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    This is like when people thought vaccinating would be compulsory when all we need is to update the vaccination status.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackKid View Post
    Well, my son doesn't have a mental health issue. I can't speak for anyone else on the spectrum but my child does not have a mental health issue. Like i said, it started with a speech delay picked up on a routine voluntary mchn check which lead to speech pathology, early intervention and pediatricians with an eventual diagnosis.

I know my children best and was able to get him diagnosed and linked in with appropriate support services without the government mandating what i do with my own children.

Additional voluntary check/support services for children? Great. A nanny state determining what children should be checked for and when? No thanks.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub
    And that is great, that you noticed and are proactive. It doesn't mean that everyone else is. They call ASD the great mimic because it can mimic so many other things etc. Sometimes it just isn't that obvious.

At the end of the day - they are saying this is voluntary - so why are people getting annoyed?? I think it's a great idea, but if you don't - then don't put your kids in for it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    This is the most progressive and exciting thing I have heard for addressing the alarming rate of mental health problems and suicide amongst our youth, and within Australian society in general.

Of course the media will stir up paranoia, but this really will do more good than harm. It makes me proud to be Australian for a change.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ABigDeepBreath View Post
    This is the most progressive and exciting thing I have heard for addressing the alarming rate of mental health problems and suicide amongst our youth, and within Australian society in general.

Of course the media will stir up paranoia, but this really will do more good than harm. It makes me proud to be Australian for a change.
    Ditto!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My daughter had anxiety at 3, I think it's a wonderful thing to introduce!!

Gothel is offline Skip the drama, stay with Mama!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ABigDeepBreath View Post

I do think it's the media stirring things, I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been mentioned, but this is not a new scheme, it had been in place for 4yos for some time, they have just brought it forward to 3yo.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Also, at the age of 3, it is not likely that a mental illness will be diagnosed, but early risk factors will be identified so that kids at risk and their families can get assistance before things develop into a diagnosable mental health problem. It's much easier to treat problems early.... the earlier the better.

Ah, the stigma of mental illness rears its ugly head yet again.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to ABigDeepBreath For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by ComeBackKid View Post
    Well, my son doesn't have a mental health issue. I can't speak for anyone else on the spectrum but my child does not have a mental health issue. Like i said, it started with a speech delay picked up on a routine voluntary mchn check which lead to speech pathology, early intervention and pediatricians with an eventual diagnosis.

I know my children best and was able to get him diagnosed and linked in with appropriate support services without the government mandating what i do with my own children.

Additional voluntary check/support services for children? Great. A nanny state determining what children should be checked for and when? No thanks.

My daughter has mental health issues. I am not afraid, nor ashamed, to say it.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to share a book For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by MrsTiggyWinkle View Post
    I do think it's the media stirring things, I haven't read the whole thread so sorry if this has been mentioned, but this is not a new scheme, it had been in place for 4yos for some time, they have just brought it forward to 3yo.
    Is it also that they are adding questions about emotional wellbeing? Is this what people are getting concerned about.

It's ok to screen for allergies, but not anxiety.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    My daughter has mental health issues. I am not afraid, nor ashamed, to say it.
    I hope by quoting my post that you are not suggesting that i am.ashamed of any condition my son has. Because Im not. I refuse to say there is something wrong with him. He is different. He is special. He does not need to be fixed. He needs to be accepted and understood. But what i say and feel is for myself and my son only and i would never presume to tell any other parent what they should think or do with their children. For instance, i note your previous post saying you would consider medication aftrt your dd's next birthday, however it's not something my child needs or i would consider for my son and his condition. However i would not presume to comment on your daughters condition or treatment options.