+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    msmummy, i would thank your post, but it wont let me. really well said

and you are definitely right, there are a lot of medications given to children on the spectrum that are not legal to be prescribed before a certain age. and most paeds would shy away from it before the age of 8 anyways.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

MsMummy  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm not sure where I stand on it, I think I'm with DiamoneEyes on this one. I worry about the littlies that slip through the cracks.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Glover For This Useful Post:

katezane  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a son with autism with the warning signs of limited speech picked up by a health nurse from 18 months.

Im all for early intervention. I think it's extremely important.

However i am against mandatory mental health checks for three year olds. What a joke. I think any and all involvement with mchn should be voluntary. I find them extremely intrusive especially straight after giving birth.

My son has autism - starting with a speech delay picked up at a routine mchn. He does not have a 'mental health' issue. And i am finding this nanny state that is taking more and more rights and choices away from parents absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my GT-S5670 using BubHub

6. The Following User Says Thank You to ComeBackKid For This Useful Post:

OurLittleBlessing  (12-06-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    autism is under mental health. especially the behavioural aspect of it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hmm... I think even more broadly than asd, anxiety and behavioral issues are affecting an increasing number of children and I do think that early intervention can make a very big difference to children's development and coping mechanisms, and I do believe there is less direct (in person family or community vs Internet) support now for parents in how to help their children with these things. If the gp's are equipped with the right information and resources, not just referrals & drugs, than I do think these checks could be useful. As parents we are concerned about our child's mental health and I am sure would want to help them to deal with their problems- even if it's just being scared of the dark. there is much more to this than the media spin.

My eldest 2 suffer from anxiety and it would be great if the gp had some resources to help me as a parent help them better.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Justright For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (12-06-2012),Zombie_eyes  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I think its a great idea, far too many children slip through the cracks then get to school and are already behind.

It seems to me a lot of parents cry out that there isnt enough help and resources out there yet when the government tries to implement a voluntary program they start running around having a fit screaming how wrong and intrusive it is.

Use your head people, a child isnt going to be referred on for wanting a light on! That would only be one question of many used to make a judgement based on all responses not one.

11. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lincolns mummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (12-06-2012),kalgirl  (12-06-2012),share a book  (12-06-2012),Zombie_eyes  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lincolns mummy View Post
    I think its a great idea, far too many children slip through the cracks then get to school and are already behind.

It seems to me a lot of parents cry out that there isnt enough help and resources out there yet when the government tries to implement a voluntary program they start running around having a fit screaming how wrong and intrusive it is.

Use your head people, a child isnt going to be referred on for wanting a light on! That would only be one question of many used to make a judgement based on all responses not one.
    It's not voluntary when it's tied to current family payments.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

ComeBackKid  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    msmummy, i would thank your post, but it wont let me. really well said

and you are definitely right, there are a lot of medications given to children on the spectrum that are not legal to be prescribed before a certain age. and most paeds would shy away from it before the age of 8 anyways.
    My daughter is turning 9 and her paed will look at meds after her birthday. They don't just drug them up at the first opportunity. I agree with everything Diamond Eyes and MsMummy said

Thanks
    Reviews
    I don't think anyone would oppose any kind of voluntary check that was available to parents who wanted.

I do object to the government dictating what checks and professionals my children need. And i further object to these 'checks' being tied to any kind of government payment.

I know my own children. I know when something is wrong with my children. I know when my children need to see a doctor or require additional professional services. And i will not have my parental rights and the fact i know my children better than anyone overridden by an over bearing government who wants to appear like they are 'fixing' some perceived problem. It infuriates me.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ComeBackKid For This Useful Post:

shelle65  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    autism is under mental health. especially the behavioural aspect of it.
    Well, my son doesn't have a mental health issue. I can't speak for anyone else on the spectrum but my child does not have a mental health issue. Like i said, it started with a speech delay picked up on a routine voluntary mchn check which lead to speech pathology, early intervention and pediatricians with an eventual diagnosis.

I know my children best and was able to get him diagnosed and linked in with appropriate support services without the government mandating what i do with my own children.

Additional voluntary check/support services for children? Great. A nanny state determining what children should be checked for and when? No thanks.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast