+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with compulsory checks for ALL kids prior to starting school or whatever.

If it's that important all kids should have them, not just those under X income.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Stiflers Mom For This Useful Post:

share a book  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by DiamondEyes View Post
    Its no different to the depression and anxiety questionaire, u answer the questions, the gp makes a reccomendation, you can say yes i want the meds and help, or no i dont.

No one is holding a gun to anyones head.
    I get where you are coming from, but in the USA where they have this programme, parents ARE being made to put their children on medication because they are minors....

I know Australia is a bit different, but it's a very slippery slope IMHO.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I agree with Diamond eyes. Lots of ASD kids slip through the cracks when it comes to diagnosis, if this will help kids be picked up earlier so they can access early intervention then awesome.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am against it.

For every child it might help, there is probably another it has the potential to harm.

I would prefer the government to leave these 'issues' (and by issues, I mean sleeping with light on, tantrums etc - I'm not making light of ASD) for the parent to deal with how they see fit.
    Last edited by OurLittleBlessing; 12-06-2012 at 14:22.

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    we will probably have the check, but some of those things (ie sleeping alone) arent part of our culture. intereste to see how much provision is given to cultural differences.

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by OurLittleBlessing View Post
    I get where you are coming from, but in the USA where they have this programme, parents ARE being made to put their children on medication because they are minors....

I know Australia is a bit different, but it's a very slippery slope IMHO.
    my mind would explode if in this country we were forced to medicate our children, we arent even forced to vaccinate so i cant see it happening.

if it did, then i would most definitely stand up with the rest of you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I have only read the article in the Sydney Morning Herald, which interviewed various medical people, for and against.

I think you would have to see the details before you could say "no" in a blanket way. The media seems to be focusing on stuff like being afraid of sleeping with the light off. But that would just be one criteria of many, ie. they wouldn't refer a 3yo to a psychologist or paed whose only issue is wanting the light on at night.

There was also a comment in the article that it might lead to prescribing drugs to young kids, but I don't know if they actually do prescribe to 3yos? I thought it was when kids were older (like 5 or 6) and they could rule out the issues just being age related?

I just don't see the harm in adding more questions to a checklist, as long as the GPs are adequately trained and do not over or under refer. It just seems that it could be a useful tool for picking up ASD, developmental issues, anxiety and other problems, which if not treated, will continue. And the parent would still have the option of not agreeing with the conclusion and leaving it as is.

But, as I said, the devil will be in the detail and probably the individual doctor's approach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I support the check. I've not seen the survey, and it might be a clumsy or blunt diagnostic instrument, but I have worked for over 20 years in communities where not one child under 5 has lived in a consistently safe or nurturing environment. The horrors of their early years directly impacts on their educational attainment and their ability to develop into confident and caring and productive adults. That these are traumatised children, deeply damaged and in need of targeted programmes and funds cannot be denied. While the check could be considered inappropriate or irrelevant for my privileged child, the data collected could be transformative for children living with stark disadvantage.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kalgirl For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (12-06-2012),twotrunks  (12-06-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    the problem with leaving it to the parent as they see fit is, the parent may have NO idea of what is normal and what is not. and then year 1 or 2 the school approaches them and says "we have a big problem here" meanwhile cruicial intervention years are lost. the chance to apply for funding is gone, and the child simply cannot catch up to their peers academic or otherwise, because the foundations of those things, the learning how to learn that NEEDED working on, that needed help to be built. never were.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

ABigDeepBreath  (12-06-2012),beebs  (12-06-2012),heeeeerekittykitty  (12-06-2012),twotrunks  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I think it is a good idea - I think it will help parents who have concerns about possible issues. I wish it was available for my daughter - I sit in the fence as to whether she needs assessments for 'not the norm' behaviour. I worry she may have signs of being on the autism spectrum, or sensory processing issues, but then if I 'compare' to my nephews and nieces that are assessed she is not the same as them, but still different.