+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Sometimes I wonder about people who go out of their way to avoid catching or their children catching common colds and other common bugs that are completely normal for children to catch. If we all quarantine ourselves when we catch a slight bug, and they don't spread and kids don't catch them - won't this leave us more susceptible to nastier bugs?

I am certainly no expert on the immune system, but I always thought common bugs, kiddy bugs, have always been considered fairly normal and part of being a kid?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (12-06-2012),Kiplusthree  (13-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    When people have a cold and say "Oh I've got Flu'... Once you've had flu, believe me, you'll never say that ever again!!! A cold sucks yes.. But Flu earlier this year had me practically begging to die. It was the worst illness I've ever had! I was out of action for 2 weeks and didn't feel normal for several more weeks after that.

When people take antibiotics for ANY virus. Grrrrr! Biology.. Go back to high school Biology for goodness sake!
    OMG YES!!!!! I didn't even bother reading past this post because those are my two biggest pet peeves. I have NEVER had the flu in my life; I'd say I've had some colds that may have come close, but my Mum told me when I was younger what flu was really like, e.g. feeling like you want to die, fevers, vomiting, not being able to move at all, etc. So I know I've never had it. My DH believes the flu is any cold where you have a fever as well; I've told him that's a load of crap, but he was adamant, teling me to look it up! Grrr, drives me mental.

It's almost like people think it sounds cooler to say "I've got the flu" than "I've got a cold"! Morons.

And yeah, I HATE it when people insist they need antibiotics for colds/flu!! THEY DON'T WORK ON VIRUSES FFS!! Yes, you may end up with an infection as a result of it which may need antibiotics to be treated (this happened to me a couple of years back), but they are not a cure-all.

I'm sorry to be harsh, but people are so stupid. [/rant]

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrelex View Post
    #1 Most annoying cold/flu myth?

...manflu.
    As in it doesn't exist or men don't act like big babies when they have the slightest cold?
    My partner is the biggest sook when he is sick. I found a video on YouTube about man flu and it is hilarious

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I hate when people say they will get sick from getting the flu vax. It is not a live virus! Plus, if you get the sniffles, it's not the flu.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    The vicks thing has never worked for me. That doesn't mean it doesn't ever work, but it also doesn't mean it DOES work either.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Yeah, vicks has never worked for me either...

9. The Following User Says Thank You to waterlily For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Melon View Post
    But it's not a myth if it works lol!
    Exactly. Argh, frustrating much? I believe you!!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Ffrenchknickers For This Useful Post:

Lumpy Melon  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Sariele View Post
    OMG YES!!!!! I have NEVER had the flu in my life; I'd say I've had some colds that may have come close, but my Mum told me when I was younger what flu was really like, e.g. feeling like you want to die, fevers, vomiting, not being able to move at all, etc. So I know I've never had it. My DH believes the flu is any cold where you have a fever as well; I've told him that's a load of crap, but he was adamant, teling me to look it up! Grrr, drives me mental.

It's almost like people think it sounds cooler to say "I've got the flu" than "I've got a cold"! Morons. [/rant]
    Same here!

I had a 'discussion' with my MIL once because I said that I don't remember ever having the flu and I don't remember anyone in my family having been sick enough that it lasted more than a few days where they couldn't get out of bed (minus gastro and similar). She didn't believe me!

And my DH is always saying he's getting the flu and needs some cold and flu tablets, even if he just has a sore throat and a slightly runny nose.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Vicks helps some people due to the oils etc in it helping to unblock noses etc. It's irrelevant where you put it, as long as you are able to inhale it's smell.
    This is why I hate the 'putting Vicks on your feet is a miracle cure' thing, because putting it on your FEET is NOT what helps relieve cold symptoms!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I just washed my hair and am lying in bed with wet hair, I might wake up with the flu

15. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

Lumpy Melon  (12-06-2012),Sariele  (12-06-2012)