+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1CrazyMoose View Post
    I HATE it when you have loads of flem/mucos/etc from a cold and they say drink pineapple juice it will stop it. WRONG it actually helps build it up. rrrrr.

and vix on feet with socks on (does this honestly help) I use vix on my chest etc but feet?!?! Socks are great too but with vix?!?!?
    There's no evidence suggesting Vicks on feet works. It's illogical, I hate receiving that stupid chain mail about it- full of bogus claims!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    There's no evidence suggesting Vicks on feet works. It's illogical, I hate receiving that stupid chain mail about it- full of bogus claims!
    Did it last night, worked like a charm.
    It doesn't 'fix' your sickness, it just eases coughing.

My family have done it as long as I can remember.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lumpy Melon For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (12-06-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Melon View Post
    Did it last night, worked like a charm.
    It doesn't 'fix' your sickness, it just eases coughing.

My family have done it as long as I can remember.
    *shrugs* Anecdotes aren't evidence, if you think it works for you, go for it. Makes about as much sense to me as water on your skin/hair/clothes (eg rain) causing a cold.
    Anyway the OP asked what myths about colds and flus annoy you. This one, Vicks on feet, is a myth that annoys me.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    *shrugs* Anecdotes aren't evidence, if you think it works for you, go for it. Makes about as much sense to me as water on your skin/hair/clothes (eg rain) causing a cold.
    Anyway the OP asked what myths about colds and flus annoy you. This one, Vicks on feet, is a myth that annoys me.
    But it's not a myth if it works lol!

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lumpy Melon For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (12-06-2012),HugsBunny  (13-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    There's no evidence that it works. You say it works for you but there are any number of other factors, not in the least the placebo effect. Your anecdotal "evidence" is not proof it works. For every person like you that claims it works there are any number of people who tell you it doesn't, based on their own experience. I did try this once as a teen at Mum's suggestion. It did nothing to reduce my symptoms. If you look into it you will see there is no scientific evidence to support it, and there really is no logical reason why rubbing a menthol cream on your foot would help your cough. If you want to do so and think it helps you, go for it, it's probably cheaper than most cough mixtures that do very little anyway. I suspect any effect is psychosomatic but so what? If it helps you even as a placebo, fine. It's still a "myth" that annoys me because people think there is an ingredient that is in cheap old Vicks that magically filters through their feet to soothe their coughs and sorry but IMO its bull.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Atropos For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (13-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Hmm I get a bit tired of the whinging altogether tbh. That sounds so heartless! But I dunno, I feel a fit, healthy adult - a headcold is NOT the end of the world.

I also don't believe my DS is entitled to less of an education because he is prone to respiratory illnesses. If I kept him home for every sniffle he caught, well...I'd be homeschooling lets put it that way.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I agree! So will every one that practices aromatherapy and uses essential oils !

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Elijahs Mum For This Useful Post:

Lumpy Melon  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I agree! So will every one that practices aromatherapy and uses essential oils !
    Thank you!!!!

I'm glad someone is open minded

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Elijahs Mum View Post
    I actually have a qualification in aromatherapy. And I don't agree.

Thank you!!!!

I'm glad someone is open minded
    The OP asked what myths about colds and flu annoyed you. It didn't say to then come back and attack what annoys another person. I have said I don't believe this Vicks thing to be true. I have said I have looked into it and found no scientific evidence to support it. I have even said I tried it and it did nothing. How that makes me closed minded I have no idea, especially since I have also said if it works for you, go for it. Am I supposed to be un-annoyed that people spread this remedy as a wonderful treatment because you say it works for you, despite no research to back it and despite my own personal experience? Sorry, but no. I think it's rubbish and it annoys me to a- see the viral email about it claiming Canadian research backs it up when this is false and b- to hear of parents using this on their kids in place of more proven and effective treatments.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    #1 Most annoying cold/flu myth?

...manflu.

15. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to squirrelex For This Useful Post:

AliG  (12-06-2012),Elijahs Mum  (12-06-2012),halloweendee  (12-06-2012),HugsBunny  (13-06-2012),Kiplusthree  (13-06-2012),MonsterMummy  (12-06-2012),SeymourTheBear  (12-06-2012),Yep  (12-06-2012)