+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Myth: That in Australian usage flu = influenza.

I disagree with the prevailing cold versus flu opinion in this thread.
    I think the majority Australian language and attitude has evolved so that a bad cold is now "the flu", and that influenza must be stated in full and not abbreviated to flu. I don't think any amount of education is going to reach those who say "the flu" for a cold, so it's up to the intelligent minority to adapt.
    In a similar vein, "the dreaded lurgy" (one of my mother's favourite ailments) is not related to allergy ('lergy) in any way except etymology.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy2be3 View Post
    When people have a cold and say "Oh I've got Flu'... Once you've had flu, believe me, you'll never say that ever again!!! A cold sucks yes.. But Flu earlier this year had me practically begging to die. It was the worst illness I've ever had! I was out of action for 2 weeks and didn't feel normal for several more weeks after that.
    Even worse than hearing people like DH say I have the flu is hearing within days of actually recovering from the real flu yourself! (I kept putting off the fluvax and paid for it big time, I really can't afford to delay having it) Anyway, DH was on the phone to his dad and just had a slight sniffle and bit of a cough, no fever nothing and I heard him tell him he had the flu and I kept saying no you don't, you don't have the flu. I secretly wished he would catch it after I heard that but no such luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunnyhugs View Post
    Ummmm…… I got the flu after having the fluvax for the first time. Was in bed for two weeks and wished I could just die.

Have never had the fluvax since and never had the flu since either.

You will never convince me that it wasn't the fluvax that made me that sick. Maybe I'm one of the minority who has a reaction to the vax, maybe not but I refuse to allow anyone to inject me with last years flu strain, live or otherwise, when the flu mutates every year.
    DH had the fluvax about 5 years ago and that's pretty much the only time DH has ever been really sick. Not as sick as actually having the flu but pretty sick. Then the following year after being reassured it wasn't the fluvax and just a co-incidence he had the fluvax again through work. And yep, sick again. Not as bad as the previous year but still pretty sick. So, he doesn't get it anymore as we are sure it's a reaction of some sort to the vax.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by felicita View Post
    In a similar vein, "the dreaded lurgy" (one of my mother's favourite ailments) is not related to allergy ('lergy) in any way except etymology.
    The etymology of 'the dreaded lurgy' is unknown. The only person who would have known is no longer alive, and that's Spike Milligan. The phrase was invented for a sketch on the Goon Show, back in the day.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Then again, i get chronic migraines, and I can still function with the initial 70-80% of one.
    So that's not actually something where you can tell a person they've "just got a headache". Everyone copes differently
    I wasn't talking about people that actually suffer migrains, I guess I was referring (in my mind) to a friend who is a bit of a hypercondriac. no matter how ill you are she's 100 times worse. Didn't mean to offend.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda01 View Post
    I wasn't talking about people that actually suffer migrains, I guess I was referring (in my mind) to a friend who is a bit of a hypercondriac. no matter how ill you are she's 100 times worse. Didn't mean to offend.
    haha,sorry touchy topic for me

i tend to continue my day pretty much normal even when i've got a killer migraine - and people get so so so sh!rty that i'm reading or using a compuer but 'whinging about a migraine' if i stopped my life when i had a migraine, i'd never do anything

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Benji View Post
    Jensha, I'm fairly sure I have a very slight cold now but just not presenting any symptoms. EVERYONE around me has it - DS, all of my collegues, etc. When I go out at night my nose starts to drip and I get a bit of a cough.

I think the cold air just makes symptoms worse. You can't catch a virus from cold air - the virus has to be present somewhere in order for you to catch it!!

Not sure whether cold air makes it easier to spread, so perhaps your friends have/had colds and pass it onto you when you're out in the cold. Actually, I'm pretty sure colds do spread easier when there's no warmth to kill the bugs - otherwise we'd get them in Summer instead of Winter!
    Yep I agree with the last part I reckon they do spread more in winter. All I know is if I go out and don't wear warm clothes I get sick. If I wear warm clothes from heat to toe I don't. I'm not disagreeing with you. What you say sounds correct. This is just what happens to me every time.
    Last edited by Jensha; 13-06-2012 at 19:19.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Jensha For This Useful Post:

Benji  (13-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am another one who hates the idea that antibiotics will help a cold... duh, it's a virus! Antibiotics will be ineffective! I honestly don't understand why doctors prescribe them to people who ask for them, when they might as well be swallowing jelly beans. I even hear people say, 'Oh, but it's a REALLY bad cold, so I really think I need antibiotics'.... doesn't matter how bad the virus is, antibiotics will not work on a virus!
    I avoid antibiotics, unless I REALLY feel like I need them... I've had antibiotics 2x in my entire life - once as a teen, and once as an adult, and both times was because I actually needed them. It amazes me that people take antibiotics every year, let alone multiple times a year! No wonder we are resistant to them.
    Phew, it feels good to get that out!

Home, where my life lies waiting, silently, for me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Linda01 View Post
    Totally agree with the flu versus cold thing, I've had the flu and it was one of the worst illnesses I've had. I also have the same issue with migraine versus headache. I've only had 3 migrains and I thought I was going to die. Sorry a little off topic but it really bugs me when people say they have a migrain but are watching tv.
    I used to think "how bad can a headache be, the wuss!?" Then I had my first migrane, vomiting, light sensitivity, shakes, the works.
    I never once complained about a headache again (And I get migranes around 10 times a year still)