+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Questions for Doulas / those you have used a doula

I have recently started my training to become a doula and I have a few questions I hoped the amazing and inspiring doulas of bubhub could enlighten me on, along with the wonderful mummies (and mummies to be) who have engaged the services of a doula. Please feel free to respond to me via PM if you'd prefer not to answer on open forum.

Questions for Doulas:
    1. What type of insurance do you hold (if any) and how much is it?
    2. Did you charge clients while you were in training - if so, how much did you charge?
    3. What is your rate now that you are certified and what does that include?
    4. How do your clients find out about your services?
    5. How many clients do you take on at a time?
    6. Are there any groups / networks / websites that you would recommend I join, investigate etc?
    7. Do you have any pearls of wisdom you would be willing to share with me?

Questions for Mummies who have used a Doula.
    1. How did you find out about your Doula?
    2. How much did you pay for their services and what did this include?
    3. Do you have any feedback you'd like to share with a newbie who wants to provide the best service that I can.

Much love to you all and thanks for taking the time to respond.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Subscribing. Will reply later.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Questions for Mummies who have used a Doula.
    1. How did you find out about your Doula?
    I googled doulas in Sydney and came across a page with a list of doulas. It was like a yellow/white pages for doulas.
    2. How much did you pay for their services and what did this include?
    I paid $800 & included 1 free massage, 2-3 home visits, I could call her number any time of the day and ask her absolutely anything.
    3. Do you have any feedback you'd like to share with a newbie who wants to provide the best service that I can.
    Be kind, listen to your clients needs & wants, keep an open mind.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to SugarSkull For This Useful Post:

trixiebelle17  (13-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    thankyou for you insights sugarskull

Thanks
    Reviews
    You're welcome = )
    Also, I love that my doula used aromatherapy.. I'm not sure if all doulas use it but it was beautiful. The midwives kept walking in and didn't want to leave because my room was so zen like. She had beautiful, relaxing music on, lavender oil burning and when I didn't have much energy eg. When I was pushing, she burnt some peppermint oil. It was bliss.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by SugarSkull View Post
    You're welcome = )
    Also, I love that my doula used aromatherapy.. I'm not sure if all doulas use it but it was beautiful. The midwives kept walking in and didn't want to leave because my room was so zen like. She had beautiful, relaxing music on, lavender oil burning and when I didn't have much energy eg. When I was pushing, she burnt some peppermint oil. It was bliss.
    just commenting [i studied to be a doula, but never worked as one] - but one thing that i think is really important for doula's to do, is to learn the policies of as many of the hospitals in your area as possible. (and possibly the drs preferences etc - which you'll pick up over time anyway), but i think hospital policies often trump dr practices, so they're good to know

this comment just reminded me of that, because i worked with a doula who used clary sage oil during every birth she attended - but the hospital had a strict 'no oil-burner' policy, especially regarding clary sage - due to the fact that the airconditioner was connected to the rest of the hospital, and there are dozens of women on bedrest for pre-labour at any given time in another ward, where...sending them into labour would be a really bad thing. :P

i think its nice when the relationship between the hospital staff, and the womans support works well though

good luck with your studies

Thanks
    Reviews
    As a mum who has used a doula...

Make sure you learn all you can about supporting mums through csec births too. I was planning a VBAC and had great support but when we found out DS2 was breech with a fundal placenta and cord around his neck twice and I had to book in a csec she kinda stopped making an effort. That was the time I needed her most. I was the one who researched how to make the experience as positive and natural as possible. I'd paid her a lot of money so I would have loved her to offer suggestions and support.

Also get a great camera. My doula made a birth video and that was the best thing about having her

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry to jump on your thread op, but cluckySC can you tell me where you got info on how to make a cs positive and as natural as possible? I've had one not so positive cs so far and if I need another one I want a very different experience but I'm not sure where to start on how to make that happen