+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi ladies.

Im currently 6+1w and have had hg since 4+6w. Already at breaking point. Been admitted to hospital 3times already. Dreading another 34weeks ugh

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by mom2to3 View Post
    Hi ladies.

Im currently 6+1w and have had hg since 4+6w. Already at breaking point. Been admitted to hospital 3times already. Dreading another 34weeks ugh
    That sounds rough, are you on any medication like Zofran yet?

almai is offline "you never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have."
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mom2to3 View Post
    Hi ladies.

That's rough Hun!!
    What meds are you on?

Thanks
    Reviews
    My HG story with a few questions for advice:

I'm 11 weeks yesterday and have had one hospital admission for fluid and intravenous maxalon so far. I have had many days off work and find that lying in bed all day is the only thing that prevents constant vomiting. It's when I move that it starts. I have had to defer from the Masters degree I am completing and have hired a cleaner. I can not do any cooking (partner does it all) and cannot stand the kitchen to be anything but spotless. The smell of a crumb causes retching. I am not as bad as some HG sufferers, though. I haven't had to completely give up work like some and some days are better than others. I am lucky that I work for the govt so have 10 years worth of sick days and a supportive workplace. People have guessed I am pregnant before I have announced it because you can only have "gastro" for so long before people think you have ms or a serious terminal illness.

This is my second pregnancy. My son is 3 next week and I did wait longer than many to become pregnant again because memories of last time scared me. I had HG last time but didn't seek help. I didn't know it was so abnormal to be vomiting bile regularly and vomiting until term inc. the morning of my son's birth. The only time something was picked up was a midwife at a 34 week appt who told me that my constant vomiting was abnormal (I vomited repeatedly at the appt). As a result of the HG, I experienced some anxiety during and after pregnancy, which apparently is common. My son was also born at 35+6. Giving birth before 37 weeks is common with HG. I didn't gain the average amount of weight but at the time I thought that was just because I'm very slim anyway but it was ALL baby. I wore my size 8 jeans leaving the hospital and so I realised I put on no weight other than bubs and placenta etc.

To prepare this time, I went private instead of public so I had a regular obs to deal with. I also visited my GP and informed them I had undiagnosed HG last time and luckily they id'd my symptoms as definite case of HG. I also asked my GP for signs of when to go to the ED and so now know when to get fluid. I have been prescribed Maxalon but orally it doesn't work. Zofran gives me an hour relief so I only take it when desperate (need to drink something) because I don't want to take meds if they don't really work. Maxalon intravenously did work in hospital. The dr told me this was common- that it hardly ever works orally. I've tried vitamin B6 too but I don't have much faith in vitamins as 'cures'. I have found accessing treatment to be very easy. All the professionals I have dealt with have felt that the risk of dehydration is too costly to mess around with. I feel very lucky reading some of the stories here.

So that's my story. I have a couple of questions fellow sufferers may be able to help me with. What do you drink to prevent dehydration? I gag as soon as water touches my lips. Sometimes boiling water or icy cold water is ok but not always. I have tried hydralyte and sports drinks but find it hard to keep down things that are sweet. Milo is sometimes ok (and it has vitamins and iron which is good) but that doesn't always stay down and tmi but it's horrible coming up again. I think I'll try sustagen as I've seen that mentioned here but any more ideas? I want to better manage my fluid intake. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Goat View Post
    My HG story with a few questions for advice:

I'm 11 weeks yesterday and have had one hospital admission for fluid and intravenous maxalon so far. I have had many days off work and find that lying in bed all day is the only thing that prevents constant vomiting. It's when I move that it starts. I have had to defer from the Masters degree I am completing and have hired a cleaner. I can not do any cooking (partner does it all) and cannot stand the kitchen to be anything but spotless. The smell of a crumb causes retching. I am not as bad as some HG sufferers, though. I haven't had to completely give up work like some and some days are better than others. I am lucky that I work for the govt so have 10 years worth of sick days and a supportive workplace. People have guessed I am pregnant before I have announced it because you can only have "gastro" for so long before people think you have ms or a serious terminal illness.

This is my second pregnancy. My son is 3 next week and I did wait longer than many to become pregnant again because memories of last time scared me. I had HG last time but didn't seek help. I didn't know it was so abnormal to be vomiting bile regularly and vomiting until term inc. the morning of my son's birth. The only time something was picked up was a midwife at a 34 week appt who told me that my constant vomiting was abnormal (I vomited repeatedly at the appt). As a result of the HG, I experienced some anxiety during and after pregnancy, which apparently is common. My son was also born at 35+6. Giving birth before 37 weeks is common with HG. I didn't gain the average amount of weight but at the time I thought that was just because I'm very slim anyway but it was ALL baby. I wore my size 8 jeans leaving the hospital and so I realised I put on no weight other than bubs and placenta etc.

To prepare this time, I went private instead of public so I had a regular obs to deal with. I also visited my GP and informed them I had undiagnosed HG last time and luckily they id'd my symptoms as definite case of HG. I also asked my GP for signs of when to go to the ED and so now know when to get fluid. I have been prescribed Maxalon but orally it doesn't work. Zofran gives me an hour relief so I only take it when desperate (need to drink something) because I don't want to take meds if they don't really work. Maxalon intravenously did work in hospital. The dr told me this was common- that it hardly ever works orally. I've tried vitamin B6 too but I don't have much faith in vitamins as 'cures'. I have found accessing treatment to be very easy. All the professionals I have dealt with have felt that the risk of dehydration is too costly to mess around with. I feel very lucky reading some of the stories here.

So that's my story. I have a couple of questions fellow sufferers may be able to help me with. What do you drink to prevent dehydration? I gag as soon as water touches my lips. Sometimes boiling water or icy cold water is ok but not always. I have tried hydralyte and sports drinks but find it hard to keep down things that are sweet. Milo is sometimes ok (and it has vitamins and iron which is good) but that doesn't always stay down and tmi but it's horrible coming up again. I think I'll try sustagen as I've seen that mentioned here but any more ideas? I want to better manage my fluid intake. Thanks in advance for any advice.
    Hi goat, it's great to hear of someone getting good support. I've already decided that if I decide to have another baby after this one I will go private to have better support in the early weeks before the public system books you in. I'm the same with symptoms only being better when lying down. As for drinks, the last ob I saw recommended small sips of sparkling apple juice - tmi but it brings up a little gas that seems to reduce the frequency of vomiting. I also find up&go a little easier to tolerate than sustagen on bad days. And cranberry and raspberry juice diluted by half - it seems less acidic than other juices and much easier for me to tolerate than plain water.
    At 14 weeks I think I'm almost at a point of being able to tolerate this - between meds, reducing my work to alternate and shorter days with sleep breaks, giving up my phd, and finding things to drink to avoid dehydration I'm still vomiting several times a day but emotionally I'm much better. I just wish I could start to enjoy this time instead of wishing I could sleep for the next six months. And find a way to put on all the weight I've lost!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi misstrouble. Thank you for your reply! The fluid suggestions are definitely appreciated and I'll try them. Actually, just thinking of sparkly apple juice and cranberry juice I feel like I could keep them down.

As for public vs private, I was very happy with my public experience first pregnancy and my HG is the only thing that has made me go private. I saw my obs last week and he gave me very clear advice, knows my personal case and knows what has been working for me so it's good to have a consistent and supportive dr on the case.

Good to hear you're getting there- Your emotional responses seem very normal. I felt exactly the same way last pregnancy (worse actually because I had no idea my symptoms were abnormal). It's very hard not to wish months away when you have HG. What gets me through is the knowledge that it's temporary. My nausea and vomiting stopped the second my son was born. Some women are lucky enough to have the HG subside before full term too. I also try to focus on the fact that people have it much worse than me (both HG and general health, lifestyle and wellbeing).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks goat, I hope you find something nice to drink! It's actually been really helpful for me to hear that the emotional side is normal. I had been feeling so guilty for having thoughts if terminating the pregnancy (which was crazy considering we spent 12 months ttc) then when I got admitted to hospital for three days one of the nurses actually sat down and told me she had been through the same thing with HG and that it was ok to not be excited and happy and positive, it doesnt mean im a failure or going to be a bad mother ( yes dehydration causes crazy thoughts!). I think it was a definite turning point, and now I'm just hopeful that things will improve at 20 weeks. A few doctors have said your own mother's experience may predict yours and my mum's eased then ( she never warned me beforehand though!). But if it keeps going I'm sure I can get through it somehow.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Those of you who have more than one, did you get HG for subsequent pregnancies? Its the one thing really holding me back from ttc #3. I had it with my second, not my first. I'm considering gender swaying for a boy as I did not have it with my son

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ending 5/6/2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregnor View Post
    Those of you who have more than one, did you get HG for subsequent pregnancies? Its the one thing really holding me back from ttc #3. I had it with my second, not my first. I'm considering gender swaying for a boy as I did not have it with my son

Sent from my HTC One XL using BubHub
    Ive had it all 3 times but my 3rd it only lasted til 17 weeks not all the way through like the 2 before. Oh and all 3 are boys

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi Goat, Up and Go (it's cheaper than Sustagen) worked for me re fluid and 'food' intake. I lived on it. I had the same problem ~ fine in bed till I moved, then back-to-back vomitting all day. Watch out with too much Milo ~ it is very high in sugar, and a friend of mine was warned off having too much by medicos.

Sometimes Ginger tablets worked for me, the 'Sea-band' accupressure wristband helped a touch, but basically I had baths and showers all day ~ the physical sensation distracted me enough to allow me to coexist with the revolting nausea.

Good luck, hope you get some relief. I'm putting off the decision about getting pg again, too ~ my son is nearly 2. Don't think I can do it again. This thread is a great support I'm glad I have if I do for some stupid reason try to conceive.