+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Support/advice for parents of fussy eaters :(

My dd is 2 and a quarter and she's such a fussy eater! Her main issue is with fruit and vege, she basically won't touch them. She just says it's yucky and turns her head away and screams.

I'm working 4-5 days a week and am exhausted trying to cook things with hidden veg that she will actually eat. I get really upset with her if I make a big effort and she won't touch it. Stupid I know but it really pushes my buttons! I can hide vege in a few things but the portoins size is so small compared to what she should have.

She loves eggs, fish & chicken, pasta and any type of bread/cracker/cake/snackbar. She will eat the squeezy fruit pouches but lately it's only one variety. She will eat avocado sushi but not avocado at home, grrrr.

I keep wondering if it's something I did thats made her like this? We are a pretty healthy family and eat lots of fruit & vege and rarely eat takeaway. She had no processed food when she was little and starting to eat.

She is a very good eater of the things that she likes so at least I'm not worried about her weight.

She does still have reflux which I know can be tied to fussy eating.

Anyway just wanted to have a vent, any support/advice welcomed!

Oh yeah before I had kids I used to laugh at people who said their kid was fussy and secretly think it was all their fault... ah parenting, what a great way to keep your ego in check

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I still have 3 fussy eaters here. Well, they are getting better now that they are older. DD1 is nearly 13yrs and my twins are 8.5yrs.

I'm lucky though as they have always loved pretty much any fruit and would eat fruit by the truckload if we let them.

It's only now that DD1 is a bit better but she still doesn't eat much in the way of cooked veggies. (Just mashed pumpkin, baked potato/sweet potato/pumpkin and corn) But she will eat salads now. DD3 has started eating salads as well but DD2 will only eat mashed potato and her "salad" is red capsicum.

I'm tired of it to be honest. I have tried a number of things over the years and now well, it's more a case of here's dinner, eat or don't eat it I don't care.

I tried it all. I bought the Jessica Seinfeld books Deceptively Delicious and Double Delicious to get some ideas. Some of the meals are nice with the different pureed veggies in it. I don't do the cakes etc with the pureed veggies in them though, just the meals.

And then there are a few meals they like that I will make sure I do especially when I think they haven't been eating properly. And they like 2 soups I make too which is good at the moment.

Now that they are eating salads (well except for DD2) I will do salads with meals a fair bit. Or just give them some salad veggies on their plate along with the meat and rice or pasta. They still get what we have so even a slow cooker meal with all the veggies but they will leave all the veggies. Actually no, DD3 surprised me and actually ate a piece of cooked carrot and zucchini the other day.

At least they are all eating any meat these days and will eat them out of pretty much any slow cooker or stir fry meal I make unlike when they were younger and they just wanted the meat with no sauces etc or they wouldn't touch it.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dannielle For This Useful Post:

dido  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does she only want to eat white or cream coloured foods?

***Sent from my phone***

Thanks
    Reviews
    It's a toughie.

If you do a search of the forum you'll see lots of threads from parents going through similar things.

My advice, for what it's worth - don't give up. Try and stay calm. Be patient and keep meal times low key and light hearted.

There is a very good chance she will grow out of it.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to OurLittleBlessing For This Useful Post:

dido  (11-06-2012)

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Hi OP

Your very much not alone . My child's eating is atrocious.

I'm brave enough to list what he eats here now because I'm beyond caring about judgement . I am in tears daily at my sons lack of eating and I've tried it all . I continue to just offer breakfast lunch and tea so I feel better knowing I atleast offered .

My son eats

Toasted cheese sandwich
    Chicken nuggets
    Hot chips
    Yoghurt
    Raffertys chocolate custard
    Shredded tasty cheese
    Omelette

I once had a no fail food , pasta broccoli or spag Bol . Now that he has refused them dishes the last month I'm very stressed .

No veges , no fruit . AT ALL . He drinks a lot of milk . Even if he's not given milk for a long period of time he still will not eat .

My daughter is a dream eater . She is my absolute saving grave otherwise I would have had a breakdown by now lol. They were offered food in the exact same manner . From day dot my son could take or leave food he just had ZERO interest .

I know what people think , oh you let him eat junk , your giving in by giving nuggets or chips etc . Whatever . Dont care .

I now am just grateful if he puts anything in he's mouth . He barely even eats the crap on my list . He has a few bites of those foods on the list every day or two it's not even like he consistently eats them , they are just foods I know he will eat IF he decides to eat .

I'm just so grateful he drinks milk . I give him pentavite and fish oil every morning and will re discuss the situation with my pead tomorrow morning when we have a check up . He is also very active , healthy ( touchwood ) full of energy and a great weight thankfully . I cling onto those positives .

I'm sorry I can't give advice but I really do feel your pain .

My biggest hope is he grows out of this one day .

Xxoo

8. The Following User Says Thank You to heeeeerekittykitty For This Useful Post:

dido  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by heeeeerekittykitty View Post
    Hi OP

Your very much not alone . My child's eating is atrocious.

I'm brave enough to list what he eats here now because I'm beyond caring about judgement . I am in tears daily at my sons lack of eating and I've tried it all . I continue to just offer breakfast lunch and tea so I feel better knowing I atleast offered .

My son eats

Toasted cheese sandwich
    Chicken nuggets
    Hot chips
    Yoghurt
    Raffertys chocolate custard
    Shredded tasty cheese
    Omelette

I once had a no fail food , pasta broccoli or spag Bol . Now that he has refused them dishes the last month I'm very stressed .

No veges , no fruit . AT ALL . He drinks a lot of milk . Even if he's not given milk for a long period of time he still will not eat .

My daughter is a dream eater . She is my absolute saving grave otherwise I would have had a breakdown by now lol. They were offered food in the exact same manner . From day dot my son could take or leave food he just had ZERO interest .

I know what people think , oh you let him eat junk , your giving in by giving nuggets or chips etc . Whatever . Dont care .

I now am just grateful if he puts anything in he's mouth . He barely even eats the crap on my list . He has a few bites of those foods on the list every day or two it's not even like he consistently eats them , they are just foods I know he will eat IF he decides to eat .

I'm just so grateful he drinks milk . I give him pentavite and fish oil every morning and will re discuss the situation with my pead tomorrow morning when we have a check up . He is also very active , healthy ( touchwood ) full of energy and a great weight thankfully . I cling onto those positives .

I'm sorry I can't give advice but I really do feel your pain .

My biggest hope is he grows out of this one day .

Xxoo
    I feel your pain (showing support but have no advice except try not to let it bother you - easier said than done.)

Both my kids were awesome eaters until they turned 2. Now they are average. I have seen two nutritionists and read every book under the sun - none works - reward charts haven't worked, encouragement doesn't work, punishment doesn't work, try try again doesn't work. I have been slowly winning and incorporating a bit more variety in their meals, but veg is challenging, mixed meals (pasta sauce/risotto/curries/casseroles which were once devoured are still an absolute no go zone). It s.h.i.t.s me to tears - I mean seriously what kids don't eat mash potato, or spag Bol or macaroni and cheese! (mine!)

I'm currently at the stage where I push the dinner boundaries slightly - like you eat the beans or there are no second helpings of anything, it has hit and miss success. Mostly I cook what they will basically eat, and if they don't then it's like (cursing silently) and no fuss.

I do smuggle veggies into cupcakes/brownies/pancakes - you don't get stuff like that in this house without veggies but they aren't eaten often either.

My kids are thriving and have zero health issues - other than being total PITA when it comes to food!

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Hannahly For This Useful Post:

dido  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi fellow fussy eater parents!

My DS is nearly 3 and refuses to eat any vegetable at all. He will eat tomato pasta sauce with grated veg (spag bol, nepolitana sauce over ravioli etc) but will not eat even the 'regular' kid vegies like mashed potato, pumkin, peas or corn etc. He hasn't eaten any veg in over 18 months. We are a very healthy eating family and he ate every healthy food imaginable as a baby....then he turned 1. He will eat most fruits like apples, avocado, grapes, citrus, berries. He also loves odd things (for a child) like chorizo sausage, olives, smoked salmon.

I don't stress anymore about it. He gets served healthy food every night, and every night he will either hardly eat anything (depending on how difficult he is feeling at the time ) or will eat just the meat and carbs. He is a bit of a milk junkie and our rule is that if he doesn't sit and eat some of his dinner he doesn't get milk but he can have an apple or banana. A few nights a week he will not eat any dinner or fruit, and subsequently goesn to bed with only a drink of water.

He has Floridex supplement to maintain his nutrient intake.

My DD is 10 months, baby led weaning, eats the same stuff as DS did (she loves raw tomato, veg, smoked salmon, anything other than broccoli now that I come to think of it!) and I'm soooo hoping she doesn't turn out like her brother in a few months time

12. The Following User Says Thank You to breakthemould For This Useful Post:

dido  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    My son was getting better, but I have gotten lazy lately and so hes slipped back a bit.

What i did was. He liked cheese and crackers so i'd give him cheese and crackers and one piece of carrot. And ask him to taste the carrot. Eventually he would just eat the carrot stick, so i'd up the amount of carrot. Then I'd put one piece of cucumber, and do the same. Eventually i could give him a plate of carrot, cucumber and capsicum and cheese and he'd eat it. We've been sick so i havent done it for a while, I will have to start again soon.

Tonight he ate spagetti bolognaise! I think the fact it was with dinosaur pasta helped, lol. But he ate a meal

And today i put a slice of tomato in a toasted cheese and pressed chicken sandwich and he ate it. He had cracked it and screamed "I DONT LIKE TOMATO BLAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH" so i said just taste it, if you dont like it pull it out.

So all in all I am trying to stress about it less, and am starting to say "well you are going to go to bed hungry then" because I am over cooking meals that im not that interested in eating in the hope that he will like it.

I did BLW with DD and she'll give anything a go

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

dido  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    I still have 3 fussy eaters here. Well, they are getting better now that they are older. DD1 is nearly 13yrs and my twins are 8.5yrs.

I'm lucky though as they have always loved pretty much any fruit and would eat fruit by the truckload if we let them.

It's only now that DD1 is a bit better but she still doesn't eat much in the way of cooked veggies. (Just mashed pumpkin, baked potato/sweet potato/pumpkin and corn) But she will eat salads now. DD3 has started eating salads as well but DD2 will only eat mashed potato and her "salad" is red capsicum.

I'm tired of it to be honest. I have tried a number of things over the years and now well, it's more a case of here's dinner, eat or don't eat it I don't care.

I tried it all. I bought the Jessica Seinfeld books Deceptively Delicious and Double Delicious to get some ideas. Some of the meals are nice with the different pureed veggies in it. I don't do the cakes etc with the pureed veggies in them though, just the meals.

And then there are a few meals they like that I will make sure I do especially when I think they haven't been eating properly. And they like 2 soups I make too which is good at the moment.

Now that they are eating salads (well except for DD2) I will do salads with meals a fair bit. Or just give them some salad veggies on their plate along with the meat and rice or pasta. They still get what we have so even a slow cooker meal with all the veggies but they will leave all the veggies. Actually no, DD3 surprised me and actually ate a piece of cooked carrot and zucchini the other day.

At least they are all eating any meat these days and will eat them out of pretty much any slow cooker or stir fry meal I make unlike when they were younger and they just wanted the meat with no sauces etc or they wouldn't touch it.
    Can I ask - how did the salad eating and zucchini tasting come about? Did you out salad on their plates every night for 5 years before one day they just simply ate it? Have you served dd3 carrots and zucchinis on a regular basis and she just randomly decided to eat it the other day or do you encourage/reward etc ? I feel I've tried everything and some times feel I've out way too much emphasis on carrots being eaten for my kids to ever actually enjoy them (if you know what I mean!)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Oh and DH can coax him to eat green trees because they make him 'big and strong like daddy!'