+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think its a matter of dirty vs soiled. I would probably judge someone if there child was really grimey and smelly.

I have spare clothes in the car in case of emergency. However if its just a bit of food down the front, i'd leave it.

DD goes through at least 3 outfits a day, and DS will change himself if he gets too dirty, I am not going to change them for every little bit of grime or i'd be living in the laundry!

But they are dressed in clean clothes every morning and clean pjs every night

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I also agree that you can generally tell the difference between a kid who isn't being looked after well and a kid who is just a grub. My kid is generally just a grub! He is nearly 3 and has a head full of wild, half ringlets, half wavy hair that just doesn't EVER look neat, eczema on his feet so he is shoe-less 90% of the time (yes, even in shopping centres, its either go shoe-less or have bleeding sores from an hour of shoes). I change his clothes if I can be bothered if they are very dirty/food stained etc, but a bit of dirt or a drip of food, a scuffed knee or a splash of water won't kill him.

heeeeerekittykitty is offline My babies, my cats ....ahhhh , bliss !!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I would notice they were very dirty but I'd be quick to watch my judgement as I'm that mother also .

My dd is the biggest grub ever . I honestly dress her and a minute later she has managed to ram playdoh in her hair , draw over herself with crayons or textas , get her food all over her , you name it. I go out armed with wipes a hair brush face washer spare clothes but I can't always change her straight away depending on where we are , and tbh UNLESS she's wet , sticky , soiled or uncomfortable these says it's just a wipe of hands and face , comb any crap out of her hair and wait till we get he to get out of the stained clothes . I hate that she never looks clean lol but she's just one of those kids .

My dad always jokes that when he comes over my son always looks a million dollars while my daughter looks like a little grub .

I'm sure people have looked and judged me but oh well , my kids are loved to absolute death , if I'm judged on how clean their clothes are that fine , im not offended I understand people would think look how grubby that child looks !

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Pregnor View Post
    I think its a matter of dirty vs soiled.
    yeah exactly. There's a difference between a bit of vegemite face on a 2yo when mum realises there's no milk and flies into the supermarket, and neglect.

My son has 2 baths a day and often 3 changes of clothes. Not bc I'm overly anal but bc he's a feral that is always playing in puddles and dirt lol kids are messy. it's when they are messy all the time to an extreme extent that concerns me...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    This thread is hilarious! I can't believe how much people care about other people's kids being dirty through obvious fun and play and messy hair.

As a kid I was never allowed out of the house if I was dirty...we had 'house clothes' and if we were running to the local shop to buy milk we got changed. If we were sick and had to go to the doctor's we were dressed up in some of our best clothes and hair done all nice and neat

It's taken a bit for my mum to get used to me and my non caring attitude. My mum 'what will people think of you if they see your kids like that?' Me 'probably that we're feral bogans but who cares? I don't.'

I'm the mum that tells her kids a hundred times in the morning to clean their faces and then turns around in their car and says 'you still haven't cleaned your face!' and the kids start spitting on their fingers and rubbing. I'm the mum of the kid who comes out of school looking like she's been dragged around by a cat all day but she has the biggest smile on her face.
    My kids get dressed after breakfast and unless they're wet and it is cold, or they soil themselves their clothes come off at shower time....if they're really dirty I shower them early, put them in their pj's and make them play indoors until dinner time...one set of clothes a day is enough.
    I'm also the mum who takes her kids out when they've done their own hair. Some days it looks like I'd teased all their hair up to look like a birds nest, then let them sleep on it for a month and not done anything to it. But when my 6 year old comes and says ever so proudly 'look mum, I did our hair today (she does DD2's too) and is standing there with such a look of pride on her face it is far more important to me to smile and tell my girls they look beautiful than to crush DD1's spirits by telling her she did an awful job and they're not going out looking like that.' Instead we go out, horrible hair and all and I just give her general lessons on the best and easiest ways to do your hair when I'm not going to shatter her pride.
    Judge away..go for it. I simply just don't care.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Areca For This Useful Post:

AllYouNeedIsLove  (11-06-2012),Ana Gram  (12-06-2012),MissMuppet  (11-06-2012),OurLittleBlessing  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Areca View Post
    I'm the mum that tells her kids a hundred times in the morning to clean their faces and then turns around in their car and says 'you still haven't cleaned your face!' and the kids start spitting on their fingers and rubbing.
    LMAO same here except I'm the one doing the spitting on fingers, they hate me for it and say muuuummmm gross

Thanks
    Reviews
    Meh, I change my kids clothes every day. By the end of the day they are usually filthy with dirt and some kind of food stain. But no way am I changing them during the day unless they get their clothes wet or a whole glass of milk over them etc. I just don't have the time and life is too short to worry about who will judge if I go down to the shops with a kid with mandarin stains on their top.
    I never take a change of clothes with me. I've got 5 kids, that would be a big bag of clothes to lug around for the what ifs!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I have a question. And I know it's going to sound like a really passive aggressive one, so I will preface this by saying I really really REALLY promise it isn't!

Deep breath... I don't understand how kids are getting that dirty all the time?

Erm... By that I mean, DD very rarely spills any food on herself. She did when she was about 6-15mths (ish) and then we always put a bib on her. So even then it hardly ever got on to her clothes - just the bib. And since then, she doesn't really spill anything.

If I give her something like spaghetti for dinner then it will be messy, but I would then put a bib on her, or strip her off. During the day she doesn't spill anything like fruit, toast, sandwiches, etc.

Sometimes she might spill a little baby cino on herself, but it's only minor, and a wipe gets rid of it straight away. (And I do wipe it, as I don't want it to stain).

She can do what she likes in the park, or at playgroup. If it's rainy/ muddy she wears gumboots and a coat, but she still doesn't get that messy/ dirty.

I'm not trying to make out she's perfect, or anything like that. But some people are saying how impossible it is to keep kids clean, and how they feel sorry for kids who are clean/ nicely dressed as they don't get a chance to play.

Well, DD does play lots. She just doesn't get THAT messy. I'm just not understanding...?

Really, no ill intent meant with this post! Just trying to understand.
    Lol, its not just kids - I'm well past the toddler messy age and I still can't eat without getting food everywhere. I'm naturally clumsy and that extends to food. So it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that my kids are messy too.

I think some people are just naturally better at keeping clean than others.

Thank goodness showers and baths were invented (and washing machines).

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MissMuppet For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (11-06-2012)

Mrs Molly Coddle is offline I've admitted in writing that veve is awesome - eeek she has proof!!!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MissMuppet View Post
    Lol, its not just kids - I'm well past the toddler messy age and I still can't eat without getting food everywhere. I'm naturally clumsy and that extends to food. So it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that my kids are messy too.

I think some people are just naturally better at keeping clean than others.

Thank goodness showers and baths were invented (and washing machines).
    Me too. I am a total grub. Heaps of my tops have stains from dropping food on my boobs!

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mrs Molly Coddle For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (11-06-2012),redcrayongirl  (11-06-2012),wrena  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sorry have been flat out all day so haven't been on to respond yet. I'm asking because I truly would like to know where people sit on this issue. I know one or two mothers that truly feel it's bordering on child abuse to have a child in muddy clothes. I am curious what people are thinking in the following example I'll give, which happened yesterday. I took my 2 year old DD to the park, we both got muddy (me from picking her up) and we still had to pick up dinner from Coles on the way home which was shutting soon. Got a fair few looks and just wondering if I need to be bothered or should change my standards or if most people are like me and think it's perfectly acceptable. I am a working single mum by the way, not that anyone would know that by looking at me. Also I think, should we just give everyone that benefit of the doubt? I certainly wasn't lazy by not changing my daughter I have got soo many better things to do like get the dinner from Coles. Just wondering if I should change my attitude in case it affects DD in the future.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to redcrayongirl For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (11-06-2012)