+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I particularly hate 'pilly' kids clothes (with balls of fluff all over them). Would never judge anyone on the state of their kids clothes ~ maybe their kids a messer, their washing machine is broken, their life is broken and their circumstances are not the best.

My kid is always covered in food, as he's an 11mo self-feeder (read: self-messer).

I always take a spare set of clothes in case of leaking cloth nappy, but won't change him from a food spill unless it's all over him, making him uncomfortable, attracting unwanted attention from the pets, or in polite company.

That said, I think it's sad to see kids with dirty hair/nails and actual sooty residue all over their face and hands. If I do see this (rarely) though, I would feel sorry for the family, talk to the Mum/Dad, and if I can bring it up in a way that doesn't sound too presumptive and it turns out to be circumstancial, will offer use of our facilities/clean clothes etc.

My friend once turned up in middle of winter with her one-week old in singlet suit and top, but no pants or socks. He was freezing (and she wondered why he was not gaining weight...). She declined my offer of some pants for him, so while I was holding him, I took him off and dressed him warmly, and just said I was worried about his gaining weight and wanted to do all I could to assist that.

It's interesting to read how others think about this issue.
    Last edited by BaronessM; 11-06-2012 at 14:58.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahly View Post
    I think you dd might not be old enough yet? When she is 3/4 and painting/drawing/sparkling, or has fallen in love with water play, jumping in muddy puddles, really running/riding/scotting/climbing around you might notice the difference from your clean and proper toddler to your messy fun loving preschooler.
    I'm not sure. I certainly would never describe her as 'proper'!

She's definitely painting, drawing, doing water play, jumping in puddles, picking up dirt, climbing around, etc.

Sure, she won't be as co-ordinated as a 3 or 4 year old, but I don't think everyone who said their kids were messy in this thread were referring to older children??

And don't worry, she is definitely fun loving. And messy too. She just seems to turn everything around her into a bombsite, without attaching too much of it to herself!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NancyBlackett View Post
    Yeah my DD is a kid who just doesn't seem to get dirty. She will happily roll in a pile of dirt or leaves or woodchips and still really doesn't have any stick.

Even when she draws on herself it comes off easily.

Hence I have no problem sending her everywhere in nice clothes. So I'm probably one of these awful mums who send their kids to pre school and the playground 'dressed up'.

It also means I have become horribly slack with bringing spare clothes or wipes with me anywhere!
    Glad it's not just me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    1)
    e) indifferent ... but I do kind of wonder why you'd do it (if they get dirty while you're out, that's different to just taking them out when they're dirty). Dirty faces are much more of an issue for me.

2) If you saw a mother with a child in dirty clothes, would you:
    c) be indifferent... same as above though really. I wouldn't care too much though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    1 E, 2 B

My son always gets to wear clean clothes in the morning. At night time they are covered with sand, dirt, paint, mud etc. Kids being kids.
    I also have clothes for him that LOOK dirty, but are clean. They have stains on them that wont wash out and these are the clothes I put on him to daycare. I then sometimes take him to the shop after I pick him up and am now wondering what people think of my parenting when they see DS in his "dirty" clothes that are even more dirty after a day at daycare

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Well I took DD out to the shops late yesterday afternoon and she had strawberry dribbles down her shirt. I don't give a stuff what people think, if someone wants to judge me badly then I say they have too much time on their hands. I do carry spare clothes in my bag, however, they are for emergencies (eg if DD does a number 3). I'm not going to have the extra trouble of remembering to replace them for the sake of a food stain. She was wearing a singlet as well so it wasn't like I left her in damp clothes.

The only thing that makes me cringe a bit is when a child has a face full of snot, especially when it's dried and crusty but I understand that the parent might not have a wipe or flannel to clean the nose or just tired of wiping their nose for the umpteenth time that day.

As for kids not being dressed according to the temperature, people feel the cold differently. I once looked after the neighbours 3 month old for about an hour. He was a tiny thing and his mother would barely put any clothes on him. When he was with me I wrapped him up warmly in his blanket and within minutes he had sweat dripping down his forehead.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ana Gram View Post
    Elijahs Mum, you would hate my daughters hair then. It's messy even if it has been brushed. We joke that it has two settings, mad professor or bird's nest.
    That's Chanel!

She's got a double crown, which is a PITA in itself, but then she's also got wavy hair underneath, but her top layers and sides are kind of straight... but this whispy, frizzy kind of straight. Even immediately after I've "done" it, it's feral.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

redcrayongirl  (11-06-2012)

dreadlockfairy is offline The best things in life.....aren't things!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    If I see another messy kid I think nothing of it actually. I assume they were dressed in clean clothes and then got themselves messy. Jeez they are kids, they aren't concerned with the concept of clean clothes and it shows the moment I dress mine in the morning.

Oh yes I could be all high and mighty and say a mother should take 10 fresh outfits for each child when they leave the house.....but let's be realistic eh?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lol looks like im a horrible mum,

If its sticky, wet or filthy I change it,

If it can be wiped off I wipe it off, if I changed him ever time he dirtied his clothes I would be washing 24/7 and we would never have clean clothes.

His hair looks like bed hair 24/7 and I *have* taken him into a shop without shoes on (he kicks them off, they spend most of their time under the pram)

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I have a question. And I know it's going to sound like a really passive aggressive one, so I will preface this by saying I really really REALLY promise it isn't!

Deep breath... I don't understand how kids are getting that dirty all the time?

Erm... By that I mean, DD very rarely spills any food on herself. She did when she was about 6-15mths (ish) and then we always put a bib on her. So even then it hardly ever got on to her clothes - just the bib. And since then, she doesn't really spill anything.

If I give her something like spaghetti for dinner then it will be messy, but I would then put a bib on her, or strip her off. During the day she doesn't spill anything like fruit, toast, sandwiches, etc.

Sometimes she might spill a little baby cino on herself, but it's only minor, and a wipe gets rid of it straight away. (And I do wipe it, as I don't want it to stain).

She can do what she likes in the park, or at playgroup. If it's rainy/ muddy she wears gumboots and a coat, but she still doesn't get that messy/ dirty.

I'm not trying to make out she's perfect, or anything like that. But some people are saying how impossible it is to keep kids clean, and how they feel sorry for kids who are clean/ nicely dressed as they don't get a chance to play.

Well, DD does play lots. She just doesn't get THAT messy. I'm just not understanding...?

Really, no ill intent meant with this post! Just trying to understand.
    I think some kids are just messy and some aren't.

My DD is really clean.... Sounds just like your DD.

Then I had my DS. Oh. My. God. That child can not breathe without making a freaking mess. He refuses bibs, must feed himself, loves rolling in mud etc. Today alone, he has gone through 3 changes of clothes. The first he managed to get playdoh smooshed into his shirt which isn't coming out (it's soaking), then he made mud pies with DD (she managed to stay clean but he was covered). So it's now 3pm and he's in his 3rd change of clothes and I do t care if he vomits on himself - I am NOT washing any more clothes!!!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (11-06-2012),GuestMember  (11-06-2012)