+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I definitely wouldn't judge someone for having their kids in dirty clothes. It just makes me think that they're relaxed enough about letting their kids explore, play and have fun. On the contrary, I'd be more likely to judge someone for having immaculate kids as I'd imagine they're either being held back from having fun or constantly prodded and poked around as they get changed and wiped and 'fixed up'. Kids who don't get dirty are more likely to have asthma and allergies and I just can't imagine how you can have a fun childhood without splashing in puddles, climbing trees, riding bikes off-track, etc, etc without fear that your parents are going to lose it because your clothes are a bit muddy and torn. Having said that, I do make sure that DD is clean when we go visiting or somewhere nice. However, if we're home or in the park or bush she can wear whatever stained and battered clothing she wants to

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

redcrayongirl  (11-06-2012),~ElectricPink~  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I just don't notice stuff.

The other day at the shops DS was in the trolley and we were chatting and then I noticed that his face was filthy. How long had it been like that? No idea. I had forgotten the wipes (of course) so ended up doing the lick finger and wipe thing which just smeared the food around his face.

On the weekend we went out for a really fun day out and both DH & I forgot to take DS' shoes. He didn't care. He had a great time.

I just can't get excited about a yoghurt stain on his pants or some babycino spilt on his top.

No judgement here. If you are treating your child with kindness, they look fed and happy, and they have dirty clothes... cool.

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to grumpybump For This Useful Post:

sandy_1902  (11-06-2012),The C Team  (12-06-2012),twotrunks  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    At the moment anyone would think i roll DD1 & DD2 in the dirt first thing each morning!
    We've just moved to a farm and with the recent wet weather all of outside is mud as we're yet to put turf down.
    Even just the short walk from the house to the car seems to render them both dirty - impossible to keep them clean atm.

When i collect DD1 from daycare she is always covered in dirt from playing 'cats' with her friends crawling thru the woodchips.

But like Benji i know my girls are bathed each night, fed well, sleep in warm beds and have oodles of clean clothes to wear

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by wrena View Post
    I definitely wouldn't judge someone for having their kids in dirty clothes. It just makes me think that they're relaxed enough about letting their kids explore, play and have fun. On the contrary, I'd be more likely to judge someone for having immaculate kids as I'd imagine they're either being held back from having fun or constantly prodded and poked around as they get changed and wiped and 'fixed up'. Kids who don't get dirty are more likely to have asthma and allergies and I just can't imagine how you can have a fun childhood without splashing in puddles, climbing trees, riding bikes off-track, etc, etc without fear that your parents are going to lose it because your clothes are a bit muddy and torn. Having said that, I do make sure that DD is clean when we go visiting or somewhere nice. However, if we're home or in the park or bush she can wear whatever stained and battered clothing she wants to
    Well said wrena!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I can't believe the number of people who change their kids clothes because they get dirty!!!

I dress DD after breakfast, so I can throw her breakfast covered PJs down to be washed. I then dress her in her one outfit of the day. Which she stays in all day unless she has a nappy leak or poo-explosion. After lunch and snacks, she gets wiped down as best I can. If we are at the park and she get covered in dirt, I do a wipe over/ spot clean. But that's it, until her nighttime bath.

I have enough washing to do now with DDs clothes, nappies and our clothes without changing DD 3 or more times a day.

So no, I don't judge if a kid is in dirty clothes.

Milky mumma since July 2011

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nudge88 For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (11-06-2012),~ElectricPink~  (11-06-2012)

FearlessLeader is offline Winner 2013 - Most Memorable Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JaneDoe View Post
    This!!! Exactly!!

What shizs me off more than dirty clothes is children dressed inappropriately for the weather - think shorts, no shoes and socks and short sleeved top while it's 10 degrees and raining - sorry but yes I do judge and pretty harshly!!!

I've been in a situation where my child only wants xyz clothing (like shorts and singlet in winter!) it's ok at home where I can control the temp but no way, no amount of tantrums would I let my child out in public like that, it's my job as a parent to dress them appropriately!!!
    Well you could have climbed in your judgey pants when my DS was younger. He had quite bad eczema and one of the triggers was being too warm. A GP, my MCHN and a paed at the Children's Hospital all agreed that even on quite cold days, all he needed was a singlet and long sleeve t-shirt. I would get snooty comments all the time and loved turning around and telling people that their opinion was far more important than 3 medical professionals.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710a using BubHub

10. The Following User Says Thank You to FearlessLeader For This Useful Post:

twotrunks  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I'm indifferent honestly.

I often dress DS nicely and appropriately to go out but as soon as he gets one bit of food into his hands, it ends up all over him.

I get that it's tricky.

Dirty kids with snotty noses and black hands makes me judgy, but only if the parent is doing nothing about it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have a question. And I know it's going to sound like a really passive aggressive one, so I will preface this by saying I really really REALLY promise it isn't!

Deep breath... I don't understand how kids are getting that dirty all the time?

Erm... By that I mean, DD very rarely spills any food on herself. She did when she was about 6-15mths (ish) and then we always put a bib on her. So even then it hardly ever got on to her clothes - just the bib. And since then, she doesn't really spill anything.

If I give her something like spaghetti for dinner then it will be messy, but I would then put a bib on her, or strip her off. During the day she doesn't spill anything like fruit, toast, sandwiches, etc.

Sometimes she might spill a little baby cino on herself, but it's only minor, and a wipe gets rid of it straight away. (And I do wipe it, as I don't want it to stain).

She can do what she likes in the park, or at playgroup. If it's rainy/ muddy she wears gumboots and a coat, but she still doesn't get that messy/ dirty.

I'm not trying to make out she's perfect, or anything like that. But some people are saying how impossible it is to keep kids clean, and how they feel sorry for kids who are clean/ nicely dressed as they don't get a chance to play.

Well, DD does play lots. She just doesn't get THAT messy. I'm just not understanding...?

Really, no ill intent meant with this post! Just trying to understand.

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I'm out and someone passes judgement on my kids wearing dirty clothes then I just feel bad for them.

Kids get dirty. Kids also wear what they want. And rather than have a major war with a 3 year old, you just go 'fine, wear the silly princess dress with last nights bolognese on it.' Walking through the shopping car park, my kids will touch cars, tyres, poles, walls... and then wipe it on their clothes.

That's life.

jbish is offline “Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.” Dr Seuss
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I guess all kids are different. My dd is grub! Despite bibs ect she still manages to get food everywhere! I dress her nicely and she gets dirty, I clean her up as best I can but if it's a little bit of food I'll wipe it up and that's that. She often gets so messy that I have to change her. I always take her out clean but it doesn't mean she'll come home that way