+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    I would assume you could tell the difference bw a kid who is dirty/always in dirty clothes and a clean kid who had got their clothes dirty.

The first I think is unacceptable and would judge parents on. The latter would not bother me.
    This.

I'm very fussy about laundry, I wash everything in sight. Until very recently I also ironed everything in sight, however I decided to stop doing most of the children's casual clothes to regain a bit of sanity.

I like my children to be clean when we leave the house. If that means changing them after breakfast then so be it... although I try to leave pyjamas on until after breakfast for this reason!

However once we're out I wouldn't change clothes just because there's a spot or two of food or dirt on them; it would have to be a pretty major milkshake spill or something like that. My youngest two are master and mistress of the #3, so the changes of clothes I take when we go out are usually reserved for poonami emergencies .

ETA I just realised I didn't actually answer your questions...
    1:e

2: any of the above. If it was a friend who I knew to be clean I would assume something had gone wrong. If it was a stranger I'm not sure I would think to have an opinion.

3: I wouldn't interfere unless I suspected neglect.

May I ask why you're asking?
    Last edited by lambjam; 11-06-2012 at 09:22.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I have a 6 year old, I am well past the age of carrying around spare clothes. Sometimes at school he will get yoghurt on him or will fall playing sports and his clothes will end up filthy. If I need to go to the shops after work and picking him up from after school care I certainly don't feel like changing him in the car nor driving to get home, change him, and go out again. People can judge all they like, I really couldn't care less. I know he sleeps in a warm bed every night, is given clean clothes to wear every morning and is loved and fed a nutritious diet. Judge away I love my sporty, messy, active little grot!

3. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Benji For This Useful Post:

Busy-Bee  (11-06-2012),Crazyfamily  (11-06-2012),HugsBunny  (11-06-2012),lovesushi  (11-06-2012),River Song  (11-06-2012),twotrunks  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttoneska View Post
    I would assume you could tell the difference bw a kid who is dirty/always in dirty clothes and a clean kid who had got their clothes dirty.

The first I think is unacceptable and would judge parents on. The latter would not bother me.
    This!!! Exactly!!

What shizs me off more than dirty clothes is children dressed inappropriately for the weather - think shorts, no shoes and socks and short sleeved top while it's 10 degrees and raining - sorry but yes I do judge and pretty harshly!!!

I've been in a situation where my child only wants xyz clothing (like shorts and singlet in winter!) it's ok at home where I can control the temp but no way, no amount of tantrums would I let my child out in public like that, it's my job as a parent to dress them appropriately!!!

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JaneDoe For This Useful Post:

Crazyfamily  (11-06-2012),mytwowilldo  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be completely indifferent.

Having a child with Sensory Processing Disorder, I am familiar with clothing battles as many clothes just feel 'wrong' to DD.

There have been times that the only clothes that she felt comfortable wearing were dirty AND weather-inappropriate, but it's more important to me that she feels comfortable and doesn't go into a full sensory meltdown (which can affect her learning and behaviour for the rest of the day), than looking 'nice' so that other closed-minded parents can judge me.....

7. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mum2EandR For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (11-06-2012),Mrs Molly Coddle  (11-06-2012),shelle65  (11-06-2012),twotrunks  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    Ohh I really do judge here.
    I take a spare set of clothes out with me and have another spare set in the boot of the car in a plastic bag just in case. I constantly carry wipes with me and bibs and I do not allow my kids to be in public visibly dirty. DS2 comes home from daycare a bit grubby so I change him before we pop into oles on the way through to buy something for dinner. I think its just laziness and poor form to leave your kids in dirty clothes, plus I hate being sticky, dirty, wet or uncomfortable so why would I allow my kids to feel that way?

DS2 is the MESSIEST eater you will ever meet, and I still manage to keep him clean (and myself sane).
    Lazy poor form mum here!
    We go to the park a lot and ds who is two loves to play in the sand pit and the native garden pick up leaves and dirt put things in his pocket roll on the grass and will jump in any body of water possible, even the smallest puddles bring great delight!
    And after the park we walk to the shops 😱
    People do comment... They usually smile and say oh you look like youve been having fun!!! Then once were home its bath new clothes and old ones in the wash
    My sister came to the park yesterday and carried pink princess who is eighteen months most of the time 😪
    I feel sorry for kids kept in immaculate condition... Dirt and play teaches kids independence confidence and shows we love them to be free and happy to be themselves, childhood passes so quickly so let them have fun i say!!
    I worry about those kept constantly clean may learn to associate play and mess with bad feelings of being a messy child, a nuisance or naughty for making their clothes messy...
    As long as face and hands are clean, were all smiles

9. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to AllYouNeedIsLove For This Useful Post:

beebs  (11-06-2012),Busy-Bee  (11-06-2012),Crazyfamily  (11-06-2012),halloweendee  (11-06-2012),River Song  (11-06-2012),sandy cheeks  (11-06-2012),shelle65  (11-06-2012),~ElectricPink~  (11-06-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    1E, 2C

95% of the time, my kids have new clean clothes on daily. It is rare to get 2 days out of them. I think you can quite easily tell the difference between a kid who has got dirty on the day and a child that is experiencing some sort of neglectful behaviour from a less than adequate carer. I would judge a parent who I thought was neglectful to some degree, but not the child. Nor would my judgement influence my decision to let my child interact with a child who is not being adequately looked after; it's not the child's fault and they have enough negatives in their life if their care is inadequate without me further marginalising them because of it.
    Last edited by Opinionated; 11-06-2012 at 10:01.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mumma inky View Post
    Lazy poor form mum here!
    We go to the park a lot and ds who is two loves to play in the sand pit and the native garden pick up leaves and dirt put things in his pocket roll on the grass and will jump in any body of water possible, even the smallest puddles bring great delight!
    And after the park we walk to the shops 😱
    People do comment... They usually smile and say oh you look like youve been having fun!!! Then once were home its bath new clothes and old ones in the wash
    My sister came to the park yesterday and carried pink princess who is eighteen months most of the time 😪
    I feel sorry for kids kept in immaculate condition... Dirt and play teaches kids independence confidence and shows we love them to be free and happy to be themselves, childhood passes so quickly so let them have fun i say!!
    I worry about those kept constantly clean may learn to associate play and mess with bad feelings of being a messy child, a nuisance or naughty for making their clothes messy...
    As long as face and hands are clean, were all smiles
    I totally agree I work full time so my time with the kids is precious n if we have just been somewhere n they get grubby I'm not gunna change them just to duck into the shops I don't have time for that. In the days before washing machines I bet mums didn't change the kids 5 times a day just so they looked clean.
    They have clean clothes on every day n as long as they don't get wet or filthy they can stay in them all day I do enough washing as it is.
    I don't judge because as pps have stated u don't know the full circumstances.
    I'm more likely to judge if lil ones r playing on their own unsupervised outside that really annoys me or not strapped into a car seat u know real child endangerment issues not trivial things.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    500 Posts in a week
    400 Posts in a week300 posts in a week200 Posts in a week100 Posts in a weekFunniest Caption
    Quote Originally Posted by Opinionated View Post
    95% of the time, my kids have new clean clothes on daily. It is rare to get 2 days out of them. I think you can quite easily tell the difference between a kid who has got dirty on the day and a child that is experiencing some sort of neglectful behaviour from a less than adequate carer. I would judge a parent who I thought was neglectful to some degree, but not the child. Nor would my judgement influence my decision to let my child interact with a child who is not being adequately looked after; it's not the child's fault and they have enough negatives in their life if their care is inadequate without me further marginalising them because of it.
    This!! My son is one of those kids that hates being wet even the slightest spill on his shirt he'll pull it straight off. So he gets changed a couple times usually I'll dry the shirt( if just water) and put it back on later. He is finally getting used to dirt and enjoying playing outside and I am not going to follow him around changing him in between going everywhere unless he looks really dirty. Whenever we go out though he is in clean clothes. I change his pajamas nightly and someone asked me recently why. He's toilet trained so really he's going to bed clean after a bath and I had no answer. Lol habit I guess.
    I try not to judge kids that are messy. There is a difference between messy and dirty.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would answer 1 (b). 2 (c)
    My children are all in primary school and they have fresh uniforms every day and a bath every night before bed, teeth and hair done before school every morning BUT when I asked a teacher to write down her observations for my sons to get a referral to a Peadiatrician she noted on there, sometimes comes to school clean and well presented. I was absolutely fuming as it was completely untrue and uncalled for. To think someone felt that way about my child was upsetting since I do take pride in them being clean and well presented.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I do not like to see children in dirty clothes. I understand kids get messy.. beleive me.. I have a four year old boy who climbs every tree, jumps in puddles, rolls on grass and plays wrestling and ninjas all day.I change his clothes several times a day. I also carry a container of wet wipes everywhere. Obviously you can't always help the stuff that happens so I just assume people are having a bad day usually. However my neighbours kids are always filthy and wearing the same clothes, even for school. They never have their faces or noses wipes and have really scruffy hair etc. That definitely makes me judge the parents.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub