+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    My kids are allowed to play dirty, great for the immune system amongst other things! I just like them clean when we go out!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    You guys can get your kids to wear clothes
    Not inside the house

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Girl X View Post
    I have a question. And I know it's going to sound like a really passive aggressive one, so I will preface this by saying I really really REALLY promise it isn't!

Deep breath... I don't understand how kids are getting that dirty all the time?

Erm... By that I mean, DD very rarely spills any food on herself. She did when she was about 6-15mths (ish) and then we always put a bib on her. So even then it hardly ever got on to her clothes - just the bib. And since then, she doesn't really spill anything.

If I give her something like spaghetti for dinner then it will be messy, but I would then put a bib on her, or strip her off. During the day she doesn't spill anything like fruit, toast, sandwiches, etc.

Sometimes she might spill a little baby cino on herself, but it's only minor, and a wipe gets rid of it straight away. (And I do wipe it, as I don't want it to stain).

She can do what she likes in the park, or at playgroup. If it's rainy/ muddy she wears gumboots and a coat, but she still doesn't get that messy/ dirty.

I'm not trying to make out she's perfect, or anything like that. But some people are saying how impossible it is to keep kids clean, and how they feel sorry for kids who are clean/ nicely dressed as they don't get a chance to play.

Well, DD does play lots. She just doesn't get THAT messy. I'm just not understanding...?

Really, no ill intent meant with this post! Just trying to understand.
    Hmmmm I strongly believe boys are different to girls.
    DS is the happiest when he is covered in mud, dirt and/or food. However, he has a shower every day and he gets clean clothes every day, so it's not like I don't teach him personal hygiene.
    I guess you are very lucky to have such a tidy DD, yet I wouldn't want DS any other way.

I have lots and lots of photos of me being a toddler and always covered in mud and dirt. I would have the biggest and proudest grin on my face.
    We lived on a large property and my parents let me run around and get dirty as much as I wanted. The hose was always on standby
    It is a feeling of pure freedom and gave me the chance to explore and discover without having to worry about keeping my clothes clean.
    I want DS to be the same. He should never be limited in his imagination and explorations by the fact he has to keep his clothes clean.
    As long as he doesn't hurt himself or break/touch items he really shouldn't, he can get as dirty as he wants.
    Plenty of clean clothes in the cupboard thanks to nanna who works at Vinnies

As long as they don't smell horrible or have bad personal hygiene, than dirty clothes on kids don't bother me at all. I wouldn't think twice when seeing a child covered in dirt, but with a big happy smile on his/her face

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Misschief For This Useful Post:

Guest654  (13-06-2012),wrena  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I agree with grubby vs. dirty. Grubby is gross. Dirty indicates fun was had usually.

I have a change of clothes in their bags and a change of clothes in the car. I really don't like seeing wet kids at the supermarket as it's a bit too chilly for that now.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I wouldnt care if a mothers child was wearing dirty clothes (as long as the clothing has been changed from previous day. Known a mother to keep her child in the same clothing for a week [He was very smelly by the end of the week] ).

Their child could be like mine as soon as you change them within a matter of minutes they are dirty again. My oldest wears 1 set of clothes a day unless we go out then I change her. DD2 wears about 3 sets lol shes very messy when it comes to eating and being a crawler also adds.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I grew up in the country. As kids we were always dirty. I feel sorry for my poor mother now putting up with children who threw cow pats at each other and considered a swim in the dam as a bath!! She would always have us clean and neat for school each day and for church on Sundays.
    Raising children is tough enough sometimes without freaking out over our kids when they spill a drink on themselves, or get a bit sticky from a lolly, or a bit dirty from playing in the park. There's a big difference between long term child neglect or abuse and picking up untidy or grotty kids from kindy and running into Coles to grab a few things. I do what I have to as a mother to ensure that my children are happy, healthy and loved. If that means they aren't suitable for attending a wedding 24/7... well, I can live with that. I rarely venture to the shopping centre with all my children - quite honestly, I'd rather walk on glass. But when the unfortunate event occurs, their hands and faces and clothes are clean, they have brushed hair and shoes on their feet - usually. Would I pass judgement on another mum for a dirty child, especially if my "dar" were switched on and I could see that it was just a quick trip to the shops with a grotty kid? Never. Never, never, never. I'd smile in my reassuring way and show her that this is one kindred spirit who understands that sometimes stuff happens and it's ok to be not-perfect.
    I used to worry over little things - but with grown up children as well as little guys, I only have enough left to sweat the big stuff now. Like when my son had a car accident, or my other son got work in Brisbane and had to leave home to be on his own. Or how my daughter will be going to Uni next year. Or how my 2 year old has a bad cough and chest infection. It now seems that whether or not they they once went to the shops with a dirty shirt on just doesn't matter that much anymore.

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jaesmummy For This Useful Post:

beebs  (13-06-2012),Ffrenchknickers  (12-06-2012),MissMuppet  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always dress my children in nice clean clothes however kids are kids and they get dirty. Like the other day we were at a friends house for a playdate and I had a doctors appointment straight after (across the road) so I bundled up the kids, washed their hands and faces and dusted the off and walked over to the hospital. They weren't filthy but DD did tip some sand out of her shoes onto the floor and DS2 still had sand in his pockets we did clean it up though I was sitting there thinking that I should have changed them but in the end the doctor ended up talking to them about what a wonderful time they had had in the sandpit and thought it was great. All good

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ready To Run For This Useful Post:

jaesmummy  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Refresh View Post
    My kids are allowed to play dirty, great for the immune system amongst other things! I just like them clean when we go out!
    Yep exactly my way of thinking too!