+ Reply to Thread
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast
    ToughLove is offline Meaner than a junkyard dog
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Member
    Winner 2012 - Funniest Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DD's favourite place is the dirtpit in the yard. The DirtPit was intended to be an in-ground sandpit, with a wooden ledge to sit on. After DD's {loud} disapproval of this idea, it became the DirtPit...a 6X6 hole in the middle of a sunken garden planter.

She goes out there in paint splattered tracksuit pants and a short sleeve Bratz shirt {don't care if that junk gets messed up! } and plays with her army men, dinosaurs, cars and animal toys.

This very afternoon she was sitting out there tossing handfuls of dirt in the air and screaming "VOLCANO! IT DROWNS THE DINOSAURS! WHOOOOOSSHHH!"
    I had to scrub her hair out as mud ran down the plughole

There's a big difference between grubby and dirty.

When the clothes are crumpled, stained, have dried food stuck on them, ill fitting and smelly, that's when I assume she either doesn't care or can't be bothered.

I always have a change of clothes in the car as DD doesn't go out in public unless her face and hands are washed, hair is brushed and pinned back neatly, she's wearing appropriate and clean clothes, and her shoes have been brushed free of dirt.
    My grandma raised me and these were strict rules in her time, which were strict rules in my childhood, and I keep them for DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    yikes....my 8 month old was playing in the mud the other day with our 3 ducklings. she had a ball

i don't care about dirty clothes on kids - if mine are noticeably filthy they put new clothes on before we leave the house. i can't do the caked on, dried snotty faces though - really churns my stomach.

Thanks
    Reviews
    With us yes sometimes ds is in dirty clothes or has a smudge of food on his face but that's us.

Ds is 2 yrs 10 months and if ds gets a bit of dirt or food on him weather we are out or at home i am not going to change him straight away he hates getting changes in the first place if i can avoid a temper tantrum i avoid it at all costs.

Like today Ds was wearing a jumper that was a bit dirty and tbh i knew i had to put it in the wash after he wore it last time but forgot then walking around today i was like oh **** i forgot to put the jumper in the wash it can go in tonight.

If i notice a child out and about with dirty clothes or a messy face i just assume that the caregiver hasn't had time to change them or the child ran off before the caregiver could wash said child's face which happens a lot here then i forget about it lol.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Lemonhead I didn't mean to be passive agressive, I am quite a direct person by nature so I'll try and make this as direct as I can. I am a working single mother with no close family close by. I was at the park with my daughter and she got muddy and so did I whilst carrying her. Getting the roast chicken for our dinner was on the way home and Coles would have closed if we had stopped to go home first. I find I'm unable to keep spare changes of clothes on hand as I am quite time poor and I have enough washing to do as it is. I am very good at time management and would never consider myself lazy. I think the more narrow-minded end of society that would judge people such as myself as lazy should give the benefit of the doubt more as they don't know what wonderful people they are dismissing without getting the facts.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to redcrayongirl For This Useful Post:

PorkyPies  (14-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by redcrayongirl View Post
    Sorry have been flat out all day so haven't been on to respond yet. I'm asking because I truly would like to know where people sit on this issue. I know one or two mothers that truly feel it's bordering on child abuse to have a child in muddy clothes. I am curious what people are thinking in the following example I'll give, which happened yesterday. I took my 2 year old DD to the park, we both got muddy (me from picking her up) and we still had to pick up dinner from Coles on the way home which was shutting soon. Got a fair few looks and just wondering if I need to be bothered or should change my standards or if most people are like me and think it's perfectly acceptable. I am a working single mum by the way, not that anyone would know that by looking at me. Also I think, should we just give everyone that benefit of the doubt? I certainly wasn't lazy by not changing my daughter I have got soo many better things to do like get the dinner from Coles. Just wondering if I should change my attitude in case it affects DD in the future.
    Honestly, don't worry about what strangers in Coles think of you. They are seeing a 10 second snippet of your life and making assumptions and judgments based on that. You're never going to see them again. That's how I see it anyway. I simply don't care what people think about my children's dirty clothes! Judge away
    Last edited by BigRedV; 12-06-2012 at 06:33.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You guys can get your kids to wear clothes

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

delirium  (12-06-2012),NancyBlackett  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Lemonhead View Post
    I do have to laugh at those defending themselves and being passive aggressive at the same time: "ooh well I have a life", "I have better things to do", "I would rather have a child who has fun"
    Yeah I'm judgemental, but at least I'll come straight out and say it
    Don't worry- I came right out and said it too, people who are judgemental need to focus on their own children and stop worrying about other kids so much

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to beebs For This Useful Post:

PorkyPies  (14-06-2012),share a book  (12-06-2012),wrena  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    I think the bottom line is that some are more fastidious, some are more laid back. Unless you are neglecting your child care for your child your way

12. The Following User Says Thank You to delirium For This Useful Post:

Benji  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    I cannot stand my kids going out in dirty clothes! Not even a little bit dirty...but that is my issue, lol. I don't really notice if other people's children are dirty...unless they are really, really grubby and obviously not looked after - there is a difference!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by redcrayongirl View Post
    Sorry have been flat out all day so haven't been on to respond yet. I'm asking because I truly would like to know where people sit on this issue. I know one or two mothers that truly feel it's bordering on child abuse to have a child in muddy clothes. I am curious what people are thinking in the following example I'll give, which happened yesterday. I took my 2 year old DD to the park, we both got muddy (me from picking her up) and we still had to pick up dinner from Coles on the way home which was shutting soon. Got a fair few looks and just wondering if I need to be bothered or should change my standards or if most people are like me and think it's perfectly acceptable. I am a working single mum by the way, not that anyone would know that by looking at me. Also I think, should we just give everyone that benefit of the doubt? I certainly wasn't lazy by not changing my daughter I have got soo many better things to do like get the dinner from Coles. Just wondering if I should change my attitude in case it affects DD in the future.
    Gee if I had of seen you in the shop I probably would have smiled and said you look like you have both been having fun ... But then I am usually covered in dirt too.

I feel sorry for kids that aren't allowed to play dirty - my niece was like that I always said I wouldn't be!