+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Worried about cough...

DD (10mo) has had a cough for about a month now. Some days are bad and others good. It's worse when she's showing signs of teething and today it's been really bad. Her cheeks are flushed, she's drooling like nobody's business and we can see about 4 teeth just under the surface (she has no teeth yet).

I've been to the GP a few times about her cough - at first she had a cold then a throat infection, which cleared up quickly with antibiotics. But the cough is lingering.

When she coughs she often does that horrible heaving sound like she's going to vomit. It's so bad tonight that she can't sleep lying down in her cot, so she's sleeping on me in the rocking chair at the moment. I think it's bad tonight because she's got a really runny nose. It doesn't always wake her when she coughs/heaves but she grimaces and sometimes holds her breath afterwards for a few seconds, which freaks me out.

Not sure what my point is, I'm just worried I guess

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Sounds like croup. Is it a bark kind of cough? And worse at night?
    If so, I'd take her back to the dr and ask for age appropriate steroids if it is croup

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is kind of like a barking cough and I would say its worse at night, although she coughs through the day too. I'm going to google croup... Thanks for replying!

Thanks
    Reviews
    If it's croup they usually make a noise that almost sounds like a seal.

Did your Dr test for whooping cough? If not, then thats another thing I would be checking.

My DD2 (8yrs) had a virus not long ago which the Dr thought was Whooping cough but luckily it turned out it wasn't. It was very very similar and actually sounded more like whooping cough even to the Dr than DD1 and DD3 sounded like when they had whooping cough a few years ago. But luckily the cough doesn't hang around as long and she was better after about a month.

Myself, DD1 and DD3 recently had chest infections with a bad cough too which was a secondary infection after having influenza.

Either way I think I would be going back to the Dr as she had it for quite a while now just incase. If its croup then they usually do a 3 day course of steriods which works quite quickly to help.

I hope she gets better soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I googled croup and apparently it doesn't last longer than 7 days usually. But she's been coughing for a month or so. It got better for about a week and she was sleeping undisturbed through the night and was so happy during the day. Then a few days ago some teething symptoms appeared again and the cough flared up. I feel so bad for her, nothing helps! We keep her room warm and have tried a vaporizer and chest rub. She's so snotty at the moment too poor thing.

It doesn't sound like whooping cough, it's more like a phlegmy barking noise and gagging/heaving.

If she has another bad day today I might call the healthdirect line and see if they think she needs to see a Dr.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DS has also had a cough for around a month. The GP diagnosed viral-induced asthma.

He was given steroids to clear his chest and a puffer. He is a lot better than he was. Still coughs a bit at night though

Hope your LO gets better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    Croup can last longer than a week. Better to ask the dr

Thanks
    Reviews
    Even whooping cough can sound absolutely nothing like whooping cough.

It's still possible for it to be croup if it's a bad case that needs steriods to help.

And yep, I have heard of the virus induced asthma. We all have asthma here anyway though and will get asthma coughs a lot with and after viruses that tend to linger a bit. But they are a different type of cough.

A phlegmy barking cough with gagging could also be a chest infection which can come on after a virus too.

Does the vapouriser really help? I would double check that. I know it helps a lot with some people but I borrowed one to try a couple of times with my girls and I don't think it helped them at all. If anything the moisture in the air made them worse. The warm room helps though.

Oh, and try elevating her cot/mattress if you can as that can help with coughs too.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 11-06-2012 at 14:20.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Maybe she has had more than 1 virus? Sounds like she got better, then got worse. I'd be treating her current illness (runny nose, bad cough, unable to sleep) as different from whatever she had a month ago. I'd be going back to the GP. She should be able to sleep without you having to have her sleep on you. Hope she's better soon!

Thanks
    Reviews
    After having a cold then chest infection myself, I ended up with 'hyperactive airway disease'

Here is a link to some info for you.

http://www.bahola.co.in/articles/HYP...N-CHILDREN.pdf

My gp said coughing can be a sign of an attack.

Mine lasted 19 weeks.

I hope your dd gets better soon.