User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Question Surrogates with no prior proof of fertility

Hello all,

I've stumbled into bubhub for a different reason, but was wondering if any of you knew if surrogates are ever used who have no prior proof of fertility? I know this is a legal requirement in some states, and possibly all.

I'm 27 and don't ever plan on having a family, but have thought about being a surrogate (not now in my life, for a few reasons). However I obviously have no proof that I'm able to get pregnant, let alone carry a child to term.

Anyway best of luck for all of you!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there,

I do know of a lady who has been a surrogate twice but has no children of her own. It would all depend on which state you are in because as you said, some states only allow women to become surrogates when they already have at least one child. I can understand this reasoning though. If you haven't already been pregnant once and experienced what it's like to have your own child, you really have no way to anticipate how you will feel giving away a child you have carried and given birth to.

In the end, the decision is yours though. Have a look into your State's law and see if they have specifications on if you need to already have had a child. In QLD, Vic and NSW you need to have at least one child.
    Rachel - Mum to 3 daughters
    Egg donor x 4 to 3 couples, 3 girls born
    Surro x 3 to 3 couples. First miscarriged at 11 weeks, second boy born 2010, third twin boys born 2011 at 27 weeks

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by simrach View Post
    Hi there,

I do know of a lady who has been a surrogate twice but has no children of her own. It would all depend on which state you are in because as you said, some states only allow women to become surrogates when they already have at least one child. I can understand this reasoning though. If you haven't already been pregnant once and experienced what it's like to have your own child, you really have no way to anticipate how you will feel giving away a child you have carried and given birth to.

In the end, the decision is yours though. Have a look into your State's law and see if they have specifications on if you need to already have had a child. In QLD, Vic and NSW you need to have at least one child.
    The Surrogacy Act 2010 (NSW) is the go-to act in NSW.

My understanding is that there are no legislative requirements for the birth mother to previously have children however it is my experience that most fertility centres who deal with surrogacy in NSW (Genea, IVF Australia) have a policy that the birth mother must have had at least one child.

I write a blog on surrogacy and it can be found at www.surrogacynsw.com.au.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:
    Topaz Star - 500 posts
    There were two gay guys I was chatting to in the waiting room at Life fertility in
    QLD, they were using an egg donor and a friend was their surrogate. She said she didn't have children but was more than happy to carry it for them. So I guess it's allowed there.