+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I certainly would not ask for a donation. If you're hosting you're paying! Hopefully guests reciprocate and invite you over another time

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Awards:
    Bubhub Blogger - Thanks100 Posts in a week
    We used to BBQ with friends and bring a salad or meat, which didn't bother me. Asking for money though is a bit much.

Me personally, I would never ask others to bring their own food or give money. If I couldn't afford to feed them I wouldn't organise it begin with.

A pet hate of mine is parents that hold their kids parties at businesses and expect us to cover the extra cost. Playcentres where the attending parent is not only paying for a present but has to pay admission into the centre. The parent of the child spends $20 on 5 bowls of hot chips all up, while the other parent is up for $40. Parties at restaurants, pubs, where again the attending parent is not only up for a pressie but for lunch or dinner for both them and the child. If it's a family member I'm not so worried but a school friend or something - my stance is either pay for the children's food or admission or if you are doing it this way to save money, have just a little gathering with a homemade cake at home.

When you have 5 school friends in 2 months all who are having playcentre/sit down paid meals, it gets mighty expensive for the parent... I'm sure that will attract some ire but that's JMO

Thanks
    Reviews
    If I invited people here no I wouldn't ask or expect any money, sometimes on occasions guests have offered to bring dessert and that is totally ok, at Xmas time we all contribute and bring something to the hosts house whether it's the seafood or the roasts ect. This works well for us and as its a costly time of year it's fair to everyone and we all feel like we have contributed.

Theophania is offline 'see what had happened was..there were these three ninjas and a blue monkey and well it really wasn't my fault..'
    Thanks
    Reviews
    It amazes me that so many people have such an issue with chipping in for a dinner gathering. I think perhaps its a perception thing and I think it depends on the situation. I understand that someone who has initiated a dinner party and invites someone out of the blue shouldn't expect others to pay but like I said earlier when we have a family gathering (such as Christmas) where everyone knows we need to get together and its just a matter of deciding on whos house then I think it is ok to get everyone to chip in. I would never expect one of my family members to put themselves out $300 to feed the rest of us, I would feel terrible about that... I also don't see the difference between bringing a plate and paying cash... its much of a muchness. When I have friends over and I have invited them I would never even ask for them to bring a plate. I find with my family its different though.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Theophania View Post
    I also don't see the difference between bringing a plate and paying cash... its much of a muchness. When I have friends over and I have invited them I would never even ask for them to bring a plate. I find with my family its different though.
    For me I think there's something cold and un-friend/family like about cash. When I ask if there's anything I can bring and someone says cake or salad, and we come to their place and there's heaps of food everyone brought, it feels nice, like a labour of love, making something you hope others would enjoy. If someone would say just bring $20 I'd be gobsmacked, it would feel rude and cold and unexpected... I pay cash to people I don't know for my food - not to my friends or family. If you can't afford having me over I'd prefer you wouldn't invite me, full stop.

I just don't think money should change hands between friends or family.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    From reading these answers it seems to depend on your family and friends, and what's the norm.

It seems as if those who DO charge/ contribute have family/ friends that all do the same thing and are happy with it (and, perhaps, are in similar financial positions).

And those who DON'T charge/ contribute also have family/ friends that all do the same thing and are happy with it (and, perhaps, are in similar financial positions).

So, I guess it works out that everyone is happy!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Guest654 For This Useful Post:

MissMuppet  (11-06-2012)

Guest Guest
    "Hey we're having a dinner party on Saturday, we'd love you to come!"
    "Ok that sounds so good! Do you want me to bring anything?"
    "No no, we're just charging $20 per couple, extra $10 if I have to feed your kids, just pay on the night or here are my dd details. Ok, see ya"
    "Errr ok see ..... you...... then"

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My DP's friend a while ago was hosting a late lunch sort of thing. He said he had just paid like 700 or something crazy for foods and drinks and if you wanted to come you have to pay 25 dollars. My DP didnt go. So sucks to be him if no one turned up

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily of the Nile View Post
    "Hey we're having a dinner party on Saturday, we'd love you to come!"
    "Ok that sounds so good! Do you want me to bring anything?"
    "No no, we're just charging $20 per couple, extra $10 if I have to feed your kids, just pay on the night or here are my dd details. Ok, see ya"
    "Errr ok see ..... you...... then"
    I'd say "pffffff yeah no worries!" lol no way!!! It sounds so wrong.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleigh View Post
    My DP's friend a while ago was hosting a late lunch sort of thing. He said he had just paid like 700 or something crazy for foods and drinks and if you wanted to come you have to pay 25 dollars. My DP didnt go. So sucks to be him if no one turned up
    See I can't understand that! If he can't afford it, why do it?????!!! Who told him to spend $700? It's so silly.