+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think its completely normal. Not that I have ever actually been to a dinner party but we have been to parties where everyone contributed a bit and in return there was great catering and lots of booze. I don't see how it is rude.. at all.. I mean it genuinely puzzles me that it would be thought of as rude..
    But then nobody I know has really any money at all so it would be near impossible for anyone to afford a big party otherwise.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    Yes, I think it's rude to ask for money when inviting people over.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigRedV For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (10-06-2012),wilding  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    For me, I'm a single mum and most of my friends are either single males or live in share houses, so it always makes sense to have it at my place and I love entertaining, yet I can't afford to feed 10+ grown men, couples plus kids, so we plan out what were having and either I get everything and they just turn up or we try and work out what everyone brings, however this never goes to plan.

For bdays and Xmas etc I don't expect people to contribute, this is simply when we all get together for big dinner nights. For instance once we did a Mexican night and it cot everyone $5 and I prepared all the food and they all brought different alcoholic Mexican themed drinks and we had a great time.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I always offer to bring a plate of food going to a party/dinner, and it's always a chocolatey dessert that costs $15 or so to make. Add to that the cost of drinks as well, and I spend a bit when going to someone else's place for dinner.

Honestly, I had never heard of people asking for a $$ contribution to the meal, but in reality I would be spending a similar amount. As long as I knew about it beforehand and it wasn't ridiculously expensive I wouldn't mind.

I don't know that personally I could ask people to pay, but I would happily accept any contributions (in the way of food, drinks or money). It is expensive to hold a dinner party, and my experience is that in groups it is generally the same people who host, so why should they always get hit with the costs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to cellent For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (10-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    If I'm inviting people to my place for dinner, then I would never expect them to pay. If we are ordering takeaway though then yes, everyone chips in.

If it's standard for your group of friends then there's nothing wrong with that. I think the difference is that in the other thread, it wasn't an 'agreed' or discussed situation, it was just expected - which yes IMO is rude. We aren't talking 'a few dollars', it was more like $35 per person.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (10-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I tend to think its a bit odd and rude. I have never asked for money for a dinner and no one has asked this of me. Sure they offer to bring something and depending on what the occasion I may say 'sure, could you bring xyz? Thanks that would be great' and I always offer to bring something.

But I don't think it's nice to say. Can I bring something? Sure just $15 to cover the food and drink you'll eat.' I would be quite taken aback if I was asked to pay for a dinner I was invited too.

This is just my opinion. I'm not having a dig at anyone or trying insult anyone. It's just a differing of opinion.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jensha For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (10-06-2012),~Marigold~  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think it's totally wrong - a friend of mine had us over for dinner at her place and cooked a very basic (cheap) meal before asking us to all chip in $20! I was so shocked as there were 8 people there and I know the food would not have amounted to that much!

I personally would much rather all go out for dinner or get takeaway (which id be happy to chip in for) but not for her to make a profit from cooking us dinner - totally wrong!!!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to gumnutbaby For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (10-06-2012)

Zombie_eyes is offline Formerly Diamondeyes
    Winner 2012 - Biggest Computer Nerd
    Winner 2013/14 - Funniest Member
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I think it depends of whats standard for you and your group.

My family (big family) all take turns in getting together through the year at one of our houses and have a pizza night, everyone chucks in to get their own pizza, because really if we o ly got together when we could afford to feed 20+ people, we'd never see each other.

No one thinks its rude or anything??

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Zombie_eyes For This Useful Post:

bumMum  (10-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil M View Post
    If its all agreed beforehand that everyone is going to chip in, fine. But i think what the person in the other thread was saying was that her SIL invited people round for dinner then asked them to pay up afterwards, which is not on.
    Oh definitely, I would never spring it on someone when they turn up, we usually plan it together and then the host ends up saying, I'll get it all you guys just chuck in when you come round. Still ends up costing quote a bit extra anyway but not as bad as it would be paying the full cost myself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We had a MASSIVE feast a couple years ago for Xmas and I reckon we spent about $300 for all the food and drinks - we covered the lot and didn't ask for money. However it worked out to be $34 per head.

So when people are saying they have been charged $20-35 for a basic meal at someone's house I find that a little rude.

Fair enough if you want to cover costs and it's a done thing amongst your friends, but I think it's really rude to make a profit off your guests!!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to cellent For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (10-06-2012)