+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Depends... We have moved into one place without telling them we have dogs (competitive market) ... And then a few weeks into.lease 'asked' if we could have a dog anf then got the dog on the lease that way..

Otherwise i have declared i have a dog, and now have references for the dog as well as ourselves which seems to help.

I am also a landlord and both of my tenants have had dogs and i havent hesitated to accept them

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    We have applied for properties in the past that have no pests stated in the add and have been approved. A previous property manager said the most of their rentals say no pets, but for the right applicant will put it to the agent.

In order to have our dogs (a standard poodle and kelpie x cattle dog) we provided proof of registration. A specific reference from our previous landlord for the dogs. A reference from our neighbor staring the dog were well behaved didn't bark. We also got a reference from out vet stating that the dogs were well kept healthy etc.

Good luck

Thanks
    Reviews
    We didn't have our pet when we moved in so got it after but since it's a pet snake (Children/spotted python) they were fine with it as it stays in it's tank and doesn't make a mess or tries to destroy anything.
    So our landlords are fine with it we are in a private rental.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    As a landlord regular carpet cleaning aswell as regular steam cleaning of curtains/blinds would persuade me to say yes.

We had a previous tenant with a cat and while the carpets were clean we after found that there was cat fur all over the the window side of the curtains where the cat had obviously bern sitting against in the windows

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have rented my own family home and negotiated pets. My first tenants asked if they could get a small dog and we were fine with that. Our second tenants didn't tell us and had a dog anyway that did damage to our house. It was very disappointing and I found it extremely rude and disrespectful. If it was me I would be inclined to say yes to pets if you ask and the pet is appropriate for our property. But after our last experience, if I found out you had a pet without permission I wouldn't have a problem coming down hard on you. You can see why some tenants spoil it for others who look after the property and manage their pets. If the lease / advertisement didn't mention pets on the other hand, I would myself assume that pets were ok. I can see how it's difficult in a competitive market but I still think honesty is the best policy.

Thanks
    Reviews
    It would depend on the pet really, I didn't ask permission to get my bunnies, fish or birds but I did ask permission to get my cat, caged animals I think dont matter much alot of people just deny the cat is theres when a real estate agent visit but my cat doesn't leave my house area and is terrified of everyone but me so I have permission to have her.

Sent from my MB526 using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Trust me , neighbors dob! We get so many neighbors ringing up the office to complain about dogs barking or cats coming into their yard or just like to inform us that the tenants next door do have pets , so yes, as pp said its better to be honest as odds are you will be found out

Thanks
    Reviews
    You must tell them you have a pet, that's why they have that section on the application. You can get yourself into all sorts of strife if you don't. You're not abiding by the terms of your lease if you say you are pet free, then bring a pet onto the premisis.

Not only that, with each property you lease, you're buliding your reputation. There is a tenent database that agents and landlords refer to when checking on the credentials of a potential tenant. If you appear on that database because you broke the terms of the lease, your chances of getting a property in the future are slim.

I always find writing a letter that introduces yourself to a new landlord works wonders, it shows you are genuine. I tell them about myself and my kids. I give them lots of different references too. I've never been turned down for a property.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Always declared our dog but none of our reptiles.

I think most landlords are ok as long as dogs stay outside and upon moving out you get a pest spray done and carpets cleaned.. Or that's what's happened with us and we've been in a few rentals

Thanks
    Reviews
    Always be honest!!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub