+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default for those renting with pets...

for those renting with pets.... did you tell the agent in your application that you had a pet? or did you leave it off? also for those that did tell... what did you say/ include in your application????

mystical mumma is offline * ʇı ǝןoʇs sǝıɹıɐɟ ǝɥʇ ˙˙˙puıɯ ʎɯ ʇsoן ʇuǝʌɐɥ ı *
    Thanks
    Reviews
    You have to tell them.

We provide the relevant info.

Type, breed, indoor/outdoor and provide proof of council registration

3. The Following User Says Thank You to mystical mumma For This Useful Post:

sunshinebub  (10-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    When applying through real estate I always put our animals down - I never applied for anything where pets weren't allowed.

I rent privately now and we never have inspections (2 in 3 years) so we had had our cat for 12 months before I said anything. It was quite fine as they had had a cat when they lived her. Wally will be a tenant on our lease when we sign a new one in oct 2012.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a weekBusiest Member of the Week - Most posts for the week ended 19/6/2014
    I'd leave it off to help increase your chances of getting approved.

Bonkers is offline wishes she was a glow worm. A glow worm's never glum, 'cos how can you be grumpy when the sun shines out of your bum?
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    We never told before the house we are in now. And come rent inspection the puppies (small dogs both young) went on day trips to mil. The house we are in now is bils an we rent of him so it dosnt matter

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    You have to tell them. If you don't and you get caught, you can get evicted as you are breaking the conditions of your lease if you are not supposed to have pets at the property. And you will get caught.

I used to be a property manager and caught out so many people who were suppose to have outside only pets but it was obvious they came inside, or those that were pet free homes and had pets.

Much better to be upfront and honest. Offer a reference from someone/landlord - quiet dog, doesn't bark etc and say that any damage caused will be immediately rectified by you at your cost (which you have to anyway, but it helps if you state that in my experience).

I convinced quite a few owners to allow pets with good references or if they were existing tenants wanting to move and I knew their pet, but I also had a few that refused to renew the lease because they had been lied to and the tenant had a pet they hadn't told us about.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Californication For This Useful Post:

sunshinebub  (10-06-2012)

MuminMind is offline Bubhub Award Winner - 2011- Most Helpful Member, Member I'd Most Like To Meet, Most Community Minded Thread, Best Potential Moderator and Newbie of the Year Awards
    BH Advocate - PND & AND
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi there, Emi.

We used to live in the middle of busy Sydney with a cat and a small dog, and it was an absolute nightmare. When I first got my dog from the pound many years ago, I was renting privately (shared a house with a lovely man and his fat cat) and it was a bit challenging to find accommodation, but nothing like trying to find a home with my family. When I met my DP and we had children, we needed a bigger place to ourselves and had to go through real estate agencies. It would have been hard enough for us to find affordable accommodation in our desired area as it is, but with pets we were lucky to even find one place, and it was usually really dingy and not appropriate for kids. Luckily we have since moved to a regional town where it has been a lot easier to find accommodation with pets. Still challenging, but when I look at my stinky, adorable dog chilling out on the sofa with us, it makes it all worth it. Aaaaaw.

It made everything so much harder, but we were always honest. (well, semi-honest. We didn't tell them about the cat, as we got it after signing the lease) We always write down on the application that we own a small, housetrained dog.

Best of luck with it, I wish I had more of a sunshine story for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We put ours down, it was our first rental and it got approved with 2 border collies. So it is possible. I'm also curious, how many people let their pets inside a rental? When they have said outside only.

Thanks
    Reviews
    thanks for the advice everyone! I really want to be honest on our application and with any new prospective agents/landlords. we have 1 cat who is 9 months old and have had raised him since he was 6 weeks old. My daughter loves him to pieces!!! we have written permission from our current landlord to have to him, (and im wondering if we should include this with our application to the new property?) the property we are looking at as does not state that pets are not allowed... so am I right in assuming that they will be considered? I have printed off a pet resume for our cat 'TRON' (yes hes named after a computer game, that df's doing) I have also included proof of micro-chipping and de-sexing, and have even included a pet rental agreement that I have signed stating that we will cover the costs of any damages etc from the cat and are willing to have the carpets steam cleaned every 6 months. ive also added a cover letter with our application... but haven't mentioned our cat in this... do you think it would help to mention him in this section? I have included his details in the application itself and have been honest in that section... I have also included a photo of him as well as a family photo too... do you think this is a good idea? any more info/advice would be greatly appreciated!!! this is property number 6 we are applying for now and so far haven't been successful!!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have also included that he is wormed desexed, microchipped, has regular vet visits,, is washed on a regular basis and is also groomed on a regular basis... ive said that he tends to stay close to home, usuaslly happy to sun bake in the drive way or garden... comes when his name is called, is litter trained and has been trained to use his scratching post too... and that he sleeping inside over night as per council rules.