+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Foremilk/Hindmilk imbalance? Oversupply?

Hi ladies,

I have a sneaking suspicion that I might have some issues with oversupply and/or a foremilk/hindmilk imbalance....or both?

At about 7 weeks DD2's nappies changed from the yellowy mustardy curdy poos to a green or green/yellow poo with no curds, just liquidy looking but thicker than water.

I even noticed a little bit of fresh blood in a couple.....very tiny amounts though.

She wasnt showing any signs of pain or discomfort and she wasn't gassy. She is a bit of a chucker though.

I read up about it online and spoke to a Dr and he suggested that DD2 was reacting to cows milk protein.

I cut out the dairy but not much changed, even after 3-4 weeks.

I have a very forceful, uncomfortable let down. It's a prickly sensation for me, I feel it for about 3 seconds then DD2 starts chocking and coughing on it, but persists with feeding so i let her keep going and she manages to get through the gushing til it stops.

She would feed between 6-8 minutes and come off. I'd change her nappy and then give her the next side which she was taking for another 5-6 minutes but suddenly she started refusing the second side. My b00bs went even more crazy and started filling up more as DD2 was only using one side at a time.

I read about the milk imbalance and it sounds like that's what's going on.

I started block feeding. One side at a time, change nappy then offer same side again.

She is now feeding for 30-40 minutes all up each time and the nappies have cleared up somewhat but I am still getting green ones here and there.

Is it ok to get a green one or two each day or should they always be that yellowy colour?

Should I start dairy again?

Has anyone else been through this?

I'm do confused

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    How many hours does she have between feeds? You might even have to stick to this one side longer. I have a very extreme oversupply, so If mine comes back for a feed anything within 4 hours I keep on putting her back on that side and only after 4 hrs passed I move on doing the same for the other side.
    The blood in her nappy could be intolerance, if not dairy, wheat is the 2nd most common, but could just as well be from you if you had cracked nipples at that time?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Sounds like you are doing all the right things and I agree it sounds like an oversupply problem. I had the same oversupply problem as you and block feeding worked well. I didnt stop dairy. Your hormones will start to regulate the supply and demand much better from around 8 weeeks so you wont have the big oversupply problems then. Im not sure about the occasional green nappy, I cant remember if my son kept getting them or not. If it were me, I would introduce dairy and see if it causes any problems now that you have eliminated it for a while.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, DD2 is now 11 weeks old so it's been happening for about a month now but the last few days there has been improvements since block feeding.

Wow so wheat can cause that as well? Maybe it's that, cause I do eat a lot of bread especially since cutting out milk, yoghurt and cheese.

Thanks for your advice, will stick to the block feeding and re-introduce milk and maybe see if wheat is the culprit.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky2006 View Post
    How many hours does she have between feeds?
    She feeds between 2-3 hourly and then goes 7 hours overnight.

I don't have any cracks on my nipples do I don't think the blood is from me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh that is good though!! That means you also seem to have gotten good control over it as when they get too much foremilk there would be no chance she would go so long overnight. I am jealous lol

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Nicky2006 For This Useful Post:

moppet  (10-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not sure if this applies or not, but I would block feed for about 4 hours or so. So demand feed Right as many times as she wanted for four hours, then demand feed Left for four hours. After a few months I was able to just offer the same side two feeds in a row (so R, R, L, L). At about 8 or 9 motnhs (I think, memory is a bit hazy) my supply dropped more so I went to just alternating sides. Sometimes she takes both sides now (12 motnhs) but usually only after daycare etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks Little Birdy. I will try the 4 hourly blocks and see how that goes.

I felt pretty full this morning after a big stretch overnight so I hand expressed 70ml and popped it on the fridge so DH can hopefully use that if she gets hungry while I'm at the hairdressers. It's now about 4 hours later and I just had a look at it and the fattier milk has gone to the top but it's only about 2mm thick.....is that an indication of an imbalance as well or is that just because I caught all the Foremilk from a very full b00b first thing in the morning?

I had a bit of milk in my tea and some cream with my dessert last night so I'll be interested to see if she reacts.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicky2006 View Post
    Oh that is good though!! That means you also seem to have gotten good control over it as when they get too much foremilk there would be no chance she would go so long overnight. I am jealous lol
    Hehe Nicky I am counting my blessings with her being such a good night sleeper but she's pretty hit and miss with her day naps...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by GirlyWirly View Post

I had a bit of milk in my tea and some cream with my dessert last night so I'll be interested to see if she reacts.

Oh and I mean cows milk for the above LOL i just re-read my post and it didn't look quite right hehe