+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by Malu View Post
    Hi, I'm sorry to here you have IU and its giving you grief but you sound like you have a good Ob who is on top of it. I have an incompetent cervix and IU Im just curious which meds you take for the contractions?

You were curious where IU has a correlation with heavy periods, well im sorry but mine are light as normally.
    I have been wondering this as well. I was given a dose (2 doses actually) of some medication to stop contractions in hospital, but they are only able to give 3 doses of this certain medication and it's done in hospital and not on going. In all my hospital visits with IU, nobody has ever mentioned on going medication?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I take progesterone and recently nifedipene (Adalat) on going for my contractions, Im not really convinced they work but I take them anyway!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I take progesterone and recently nifedipene (Adalat) on going for my contractions, Im not really convinced they work but I take them anyway!
    Ah k. Never heard of ongoing meds for it. Learn something new every day

Thanks
    Reviews
    F
    Hi, I'm sorry to here you have IU and its giving you grief but you sound like you have a good Ob who is on top of it. I have an incompetent cervix and IU Im just curious which meds you take for the contractions?

You were curious where IU has a correlation with heavy periods, well im sorry but mine are light as normally.
    Hi, i am also on adalat. Today has been realy bad i dont think it is helping me anymore. I see my ob on wed, hope all is well. At the moment i am praying for 35 weeks but i'm not sure i wil make it.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lil miss View Post
    I have been wondering this as well. I was given a dose (2 doses actually) of some medication to stop contractions in hospital, but they are only able to give 3 doses of this certain medication and it's done in hospital and not on going. In all my hospital visits with IU, nobody has ever mentioned on going medication?
    When i went into premlabour at 26 weeks weth my 2 nd they put me on a drip, i needed 2 courses to stop it. Adalat, and there are many different names for it is actualy bloodpressure meds with relaxing smooth muscle fiber as a side effect. I was tested on it for half a day in hospital to test the effect on my bp, no effect, at that tage it worked for the cramps now not so much...today it sems actualy worse than before.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I had an incompetent cervix which if I remember correctly is caused by irritable uterus

I had stitches to hold my cervix together

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by daysta112 View Post
    I had an incompetent cervix which if I remember correctly is caused by irritable uterus

I had stitches to hold my cervix together
    At how many weeks did they do this? Did it hurt?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I have an incompetent cervix as well (with a stitch in) and the conditions don't always go hand in hand, if you have IC you will have a 2nd trimester loss/death/close call before you are diagnosed but with IU it can occur at anytime and not necessarily result in birth ie drugs can stop it in a large portion of the population. IC is by definition "symptomless" but many ladies have both such as I do. You will find it difficult to get a Ob to stitch you for just IU, as the risks associated with the stitch out way the benefits for a normal cervix that isnt short or showing signs of shortening in early preg to be left alone.

The drip you are referring to is that Magnesium? As I dont think Nifedipene comes in IV form, its a really old drug.

Oh I got my stitch at 12 weeks, you can have them put in up to 20weeks after that it is to dangerous as the Dr is likely to burst your membranes.

After my last pregnancy I spent alot of time researching both topics and not just with google

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zanne View Post
    At how many weeks did they do this? Did it hurt?
    Sorry I took so long, had the stitches in at 14 weeks, I felt them cutting them out but it wasn't painful iykwim. I hardly remember them going in

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi, Thank you for this. I went to the OB yesterday and I am now starting to open up. Will most likely not have a full term baby. I have also done some research because I thought maybe I had an IU as well. But an IU is shortening and dialating without necesarily anycontractions. I am shortening and dialating specifically due to contractions. My contractions seems to be a slow drawn out labour that can just switch anytime, these are not nowmal BH contractions as they are very regular at times, very painfull and exactly like the beginning of labour. They are also getting stronger everyday, much stronger. very scary!

I think IU could be even more scary, they just sneak up on you, dont they. My heart goes out to you guys...I know how I feel and I can asure you i am loosing my sanity.