+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by share a book View Post
    Most of them are for primary. Let's just bag the parents with limited options.
    There is really no need to get aggressive. You said there were no options, I am simply stating that actually there are.

And if it were me and my choices were send my kids to a school with archaic notions of discipline or homeschool them, I know what I'd choose.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    some people think this is an ideal way to raise children and young adults so that they toe the line.

doesn't sit right or make any sense to me personally. ick.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    There is really no need to get aggressive. You said there were no options, I am simply stating that actually there are.

And if it were me and my choices were send my kids to a school with archaic notions of discipline or homeschool them, I know what I'd choose.
    Imagine if you chose a school that could accept your children, offered balanced, nutritious meals, had a good educational reputation, could offer extra tutoring after school and on weekends if necessary, and had an overall good feel about it, then they come home after 1 term with bruises and blisters in their mouth? I'm sure it would feel like a slap in the face to be told you should have made another choice. Also some can't afford another option. There is assistance for people to use distance ed for primary, not secondary. For secondary there is assistance for people to use boarding schools. I'm talking about people who live in the bush, 10km+ from the nearest town, sometimes 400km+ from a high school.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Imagine if you chose a school that could accept your children, offered balanced, nutritious meals, had a good educational reputation, could offer extra tutoring after school and on weekends if necessary, and had an overall good feel about it, then they come home after 1 term with bruises and blisters in their mouth? I'm sure it would feel like a slap in the face to be told you should have made another choice. Also some can't afford another option. There is assistance for people to use distance ed for primary, not secondary. For secondary there is assistance for people to use boarding schools. I'm talking about people who live in the bush, 10km+ from the nearest town, sometimes 400km+ from a high school.
    Honestly, I would pull my child out of that school and search for another option. And I would be so vocal about the situation everyone would know the truth about that school.

But if you know your child is being abused and let it continue, well what can I say, you enabled it.

lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Imagine if you chose a school that could accept your children, offered balanced, nutritious meals, had a good educational reputation, could offer extra tutoring after school and on weekends if necessary, and had an overall good feel about it, then they come home after 1 term with bruises and blisters in their mouth? I'm sure it would feel like a slap in the face to be told you should have made another choice.
    But what about after the bruises and blisters were found? I think that's the point at which elleandsam is suggesting another choice might be made.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to lambjam For This Useful Post:

elleandsam  (11-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Honestly, I would pull my child out of that school and search for another option. And I would be so vocal about the situation everyone would know the truth about that school.

But if you know your child is being abused and let it continue, well what can I say, you enabled it.
    I'm wondering how many know. Legal action will be taken, but people we have spoken to are shocked, past students (day students) had no idea, past students who are boarders seem to have not kept in touch with anyone, people who sent/send their kids there cannot believe it would happen but statements have been taken, names given of older kids, names given by older kids of their expected "duties" and who gave the orders. I'm not sure too many people would allow it, but I do know parents of current students who have 2 options and they are to leave the kids in school or take them out. Taking them out is not a legal option, so they would be forced to then send them whether they like it or not.

Easy to say there are loads of options when you live in a city with loads of schools and have the money to homeschool into high school. I'm not being aggressive btw.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 posts
    I don't assault my children and would not send my children to a school where assault is acceptable!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I'm wondering how many know. Legal action will be taken, but people we have spoken to are shocked, past students (day students) had no idea, past students who are boarders seem to have not kept in touch with anyone, people who sent/send their kids there cannot believe it would happen but statements have been taken, names given of older kids, names given by older kids of their expected "duties" and who gave the orders. I'm not sure too many people would allow it, but I do know parents of current students who have 2 options and they are to leave the kids in school or take them out. Taking them out is not a legal option, so they would be forced to then send them whether they like it or not.

Easy to say there are loads of options when you live in a city with loads of schools and have the money to homeschool into high school. I'm not being aggressive btw.
    Actually there aren't a lot of options here and we don't have the money to homeschool, I'm going back to work ASAP because we can no longer afford to stay at home, but thanks for making sweeping assumptions about my financial position

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by lambjam View Post
    But what about after the bruises and blisters were found? I think that's the point at which elleandsam is suggesting another choice might be made.
    Well he has been taken out. Once it was realised they took him out. But they had that option because there is a public high school 10k from them. It offers very little which is why they chose the boarding school. Some people are 400km from a high school and can't afford anything else.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Actually there aren't a lot of options here and we don't have the money to homeschool, I'm going back to work ASAP because we can no longer afford to stay at home, but thanks for making sweeping assumptions about my financial position
    It wasn't about you, it was about people who live in cities. Sorry if you thought I meant you personally. I meant anyone living in places with lots of schools and anyone in a financial position to homeschool if there are no schools around.