Hi all, I took DS to hospital on Friday night after his temp went to 40.4. For about a day before that, he was sneezing, restless and wouldn't sleep for longer than 30 mins. He has congested nose, mucous is green and a chesty moist cough. He had diahorrea while waiting at the dr yesterday and the poor little bugger needed a change of clothes. Anyway, the emergency dr gave him some nurofen and his temp went back down to 37, they told me to put saline drops up his nose to help him breathe while he is eating as he was only drinking 100ml per bottle and asked me to take him to the GP yesterday. I am feeding him on demand at the moment and this appears to be fine. He has a Vapouriser in his room with Vicks in it and I have elevated his cot mattress to help him breathe. He brightened up yesterday evening however have woken up this morning and the fever appears fine however his cough is much worse. When I took him to the GP yesterday he was only really interested in referring us for a stool sample because he had diahorrea (TMI - I think this is because when he sneezes he decides to eat his snot... Before i can get a tissue onto it.. Ewwwww. He wouldn't prescribe anti biotics but I feel as though his cough is worsening. He isn't struggling to breathe and isn't wheezing but it's definitely chestier if that makes sense. I am not one to throw antibiotics at everything, especially for babies, but feel as though it had progressed enough to warrant them. His diagnosis at the hospital was a viral throat infection and mild bronchitis.
Does anyone have any advice or experience with similar and did it warrant antibiotics for your child?