+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I agree with changing formula as S26gold is renouned for constipation
    However I think such severe constipation so young is quite unusual and would be weary about the need to give medication to such a young baby.
    I would be getting bubs reviewed by a Paediatrician or at a Children's Hospital if possible if things don't improve promply. Espescially if Bubs is more sleepy, has episodes of looking pale between the screaming / pulling legs up episodes, if you note their tummy to be distended or they start vomiting at all (espescially if it's bright green vomit)
    Sorry to sound bit alarmist, but it is unusual for one week old to have constipation requiring medication, and then to be experiencing pain again so soon even after a decent poo

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    My first bub suffered with constipation from one week too - the transition to
    formula was hard for his stomach to take.
    He was drinking s26 original and was constipated. I actually recently compared the iron content in the different formulas and it was very similar between the gold and the original brands. Actually the karicare gold version was less iron content. This was recommended by quite a few mums too but my new bub did not like the taste.

So to answer your question we tried everything too - and found only regular doses of coloxyll drops and drinks of (cooled & boiled) water worked. I used to massage his belly with nappy off in a clockwise motion and then give a warm bath. Often he would go whilst I was massaging him.

My son suffers from constipation to this day and he has an ice cube or two diluted of pear juice each day..but pear juice can easily gripe an adult even so I probably would be reluctant to use pear juice and go with prune or orange juice on a teaspoon maybe.

Pm me if you want any more ideas, we've tried them all & I know how distressing it is for all of you..hope he feels better soon

Thanks
    Reviews
    I reckon S26 is the worst formula for constipation. When I put dd on this after we stopped n/feeding she was sonconstipated and full of gas and wind.
    We ended up sticking to caricare once we found one that agreed with her. We also added a bit more water than required.

Thanks
    Reviews
    We went through a horrible time with DD1 with constipation
    The best one we tried was novalac constipation
    This worked wonders for DD and never had problems again

Thanks
    Reviews
    DEFINITELY, DEFINITELY change formulas!! My babe was on s26 gold too, and screamed and screamed. I had no idea what was wrong with him other than constipation, i to be honest i didnt really connnect the two for a while as everyone said get s26. I changed to hienz nuture as its WAY more gentler on bubs tummy, and almost immediately he was a different baby! HEAPS happy and content!! s26 gold has caused lots of bubs on here problems, so i advise to definitely change. Its horrid stuff, and it smells really bad!!!!

Poor bub, hope your little one is feeling better!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for everyones advice. I went to buy another formula today and the pharmacist didn't think it was a good idea as it's only been a week.... I keep getting different advice from different people, some say change, some say it's too early to know... so I don't know what to do... should I change so soon? or should I keep trying for a few more days (the pharmacist said it might just be his body getting used to the formula)...
    she also said that on tuesday the baby nurse is at the chemist and to go and talk to her about formulas...

Thanks
    Reviews
    You poor thing. It is so hard when you have conflicting advice. I too went to a pharmacist & she said to keep persevering & gave me drops to give to my 2 week old. I was sooo confused but my DH told me to trust my instincts & changed formula that afternoon. I didnt given him the drop. My MACH nurse said that I did the right thing & babies shouldn't be in that much pain.

P.s The reason they give s26 in hospitals is cause they get it for free.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Change but do it gradually. My DD had the same problem at 1 week old and I swapped out a bottle a day to change her. Its was the NAN gold that was causing it, avoid all formulas with GOLD in the title. I swapped to Heinz Nurtre and she was much better on it.

In the mean time warm baths and brown sugar in water was what helped us. Good luck!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I would be making an appointment to see a peadiatrician, my DS suffered from chronic constipation from birth as well and the first 6 months of his life were horendous, he never stopped crying After 6 months of constipation, several formula changes etc we saw a peadiatric gastroenterologist who diagnosed dairy protein intolerence and put him onto a prescription only formula - life got a heck of a lot better for both of us from there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with making the change, but doing it slowly. Does'nt sound as though the S26 is doing him any good, and if the formula is causing the trouble, this will save the need to medicate unnecessarily. Change over 4-5 days, adding a fifth of his quantity of new formula each day (ie, .2/.8; .4/.6; .6/.4;.2/.8).

Also agree that if this doesn't help, then a GP referral to a paed may help. Would still go the prune juice, though, as it's very gentle and works so quickly ~ it's miracle meds for constipation and $3-4 a bottle that lasts a fortnight.

It's not that rare for bubs to be constipated this early with some formulas. With BMilk I'd be worried, but some formulas just do this. Definitely go with your instincts ~ you know your bub better than anyone!

Good luck. Hope he feels better soon.