+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Demand feeding and returning to work

I'll be heading back to work part time when DD is 11mths old. I currently demand feed and am a bit unsure about how this will work when I'm at work. I'm am attempting to build my supplies of EBM but finding it difficult to express any decent amounts.

Can anyone share any tips, advice or experiences with returning to work and demand feeding?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I can share my story! I went back to work part time when dd was 12 months and she is now 19 months and still demand fed!!
    The first few months were difficult because my supply went through the roof while I was at work soI had to express a few times a day to ease the discomfort. This has eased off in the last few months and i no longer express at all at work! I would give dd a big feed in the morning before daycare then express during the day when I felt I needed it and then when I picked her up she would have another big feed. I have found my body has just adapted to the change which I am very lucky for! Dd now goes to daycare 4 days a week and I still demand feed! She still has a big feed around breakfast and then when I pick her up in the afternoon she will sit with me for ages swapping sides to make sure she has it all
    Good luck returning to work and maintaining your bf! Alot of people told me I should just give up because I would be away from her anyways but I stuck with it and am so happy I did!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to wannaBamumma For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I went back to part time work when my son was 3 months old. i would express 3 times a day at work, and tried to eat lactogenic foods (oats, oat milk, brewer's yeast) and tried fenugreek. i found my supply was okay until about 18 months, and I started to run out then as he wasn't feeding as regularly and i wasn't pumping as much.

I would get quite a lot of milk while at work though as it was in lieu of a feed.

You can get double pumps to halve the expressing time as well to allow you to do it more often.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MsMummy For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I have also returned to work with a demand feeder at 11 months. She is just about to turn one. She doesn't take a bottle
    AT ALL lol.. but given her age she is fine to take only food and water from 9 till 3 . I give the room one sippy cup of ebm but she has not once had it, cheeky monkey..She drinks water through a sippy straw cup all day and eats what she feels like. The girls rock her to sleep there, but at home I still feed her to sleep at every feed. Overall I have found it a good age to return to work because your supply is fairly bomb proof, breastfeeding is well established and they are able to eat food and drink water. My boobs still fill up over the day and Dd drains them the minute we get home. I plonk on the couch and she has a good feed and another before dinner and another before bed. Then some in the night and one or two before daycare. So really she hasnt been deterred at all.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

7. The Following User Says Thank You to bumMum For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I went back to work part time when my dd was 5 months old and 3 months later she's still demand fed. The little rascal rarely demands a feed from anyone but me! You'll probably find it's the same at 11 months. I only work half days (well I work some full days, but come home for lunch) so I can easily now work for 5 - 6 hours without worrying about bubs needing a feed most of the time (especially as she's now well established on solids). She doesn't go overboard on 'catch up' feeds when I get back either. BUT, I don't manage to express extra milk that day if she has decided to have a bit while I'm at work (eg. 100ml). I find restocking my EBM my biggest challenge.

Bottom line is stock up on EBM if you're going to be working full days and bubs will definitely need a feed or two. Do this by expressing 30ml+ an hour after the first feed of the day now. The stocks will quickly add up. Make sure you're only storing 40ml or less in each EBM storage bag, there's nothing worse than reheating EBM and having bubs refuse it! (happens a lot!)

And don't worry about 'decent amounts' of EBM, 10ml here & there really adds up. I've found that when I do work over a feed bubs is quite happy with just 100ml of EBM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mim1 For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks ladies, I feel so much better already just reading your responses. I am looking forward to going back to work but know I will miss my bubby so much too! I am in no hurry to stop breastfeeding, those moments are too precious to me

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    My dd never took ebm and would wait til i picked her up and then have a big feed. AT first, she would come to me at lunch or i would express but after awhile my breasts adjusted and i was ok to go all day without feeds on work days. I think dd was around 9 months when i went back to work part time.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Bubbles10 For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I went back when DD was 11 months. She had never once taken a bottle so didn't hold out much hope , but to my surprise she took them from her carers! I would pump once at work at lunchtime and get 150 to 200ml.whatever I Got I would divide in half and leave in 2 separate bottles - one they gave before lunch and the other before afternoon tea. That way if she refused all of one bottle only half would be wasted and there would be a spare one for later. She would have a MASSIVE feed when I picked her up/as soon as we got home, another at bed time and was feeding twice overnight. So she got plenty! I work 3 full days per week, so on my days home she would just demand feed as normal. I work 3 days in a row so I found on my first home day she would often feed frequently,I think both to re build my supply and also to reconnect with me after being separated. Also my rat refused to drink frozen EBM would only drink fresh pumped - didn't like the taste of frozen. Joy.

At about 18 months she started regularly refusing her bottles at daycare so I stopped pumping for her and she had solids and water there and boob before work after work bed time and overnight. She is now 2 and a bit and feeds before work and after work (and no longer overnight thank goodness!), but on my days off also asks for a feed at day nap time.

Babies and toddlers are very adaptable and quickly work out there's the deal at home and the deal at daycare. The biggest benefit I have found, apart from the ongoing antibodies she gets to protect against infection, is the reconnection and bonding which helped her through the separation anxiety which many babies experience when away from mum for an extended period.

There is some great info on the ABA website on breastfeeding and return to work. Have you thought about speaking To your employer about finding a suitable room if you want or need to pump at work?

14. The Following User Says Thank You to purplecat For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I started sending dd to daycare 1-2 days aweek at 12 months, she used to refuse ebm/cows milk, but now has soy milk there. No dramas with supply

**Mum, Dad, Big boy (Dec 08) and Baby girl (Feb 11)**

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Pregnor For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (12-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    My demand fed 12 month old has lots of feeds whens she's with me, but only one 100mL bottle at daycare (7:15 - 5pm) plus other solids and water obviously. Daycare is the only time I leave a bottle for her since it's such a long day. I think your 11 mo would be fine. Will yo be pumping too?

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Little Birdy For This Useful Post:

wigglepuss  (12-06-2012)