+ Reply to Thread
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Discharge in 5yr olds knickers.

Hi all,

Just after some ideas as to why my 5 yr old would have white marks in her knickers similar to those that I get from mucous discharge?

(TMI) I almost always have some mucous discharge that leaves marks on my knickers (or panty liner) but recently dd has had some on hers. She called me in and asked me what it was and I told her it might be from not wiping properly after using the toilet and that she needed to make sure she wiped properly every time.

Has anyone else noticed this in a young girl? I understand it's normal for adult women but in a 5 yr old it is not something I expected to see.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Yes our DD2 has had it sometimes at 4 yrs old. We notice it more when she has had showers instead of baths or baths with lots of bubbles.

Try giving her a bath each night with some baby type bathwash in the water (just a little and let her soak) and see if it clears it up.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    I was seen by a doctor at 7 because I had VD. The doctor explained to my mum that although its not overly common in small children, all females produce cervical mucus, some younger and heavier than others. Poor fluid intake can effect the amount of VD, also soaps, shampoos, powders etc with fragrances can also result in prepubescent girls having discharge. After upping my water intake and using fragrance free products and only wearing cotton knickers and avoiding tighter pants like jeans and leggings my discharge backed off to next to not there.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks for the replies ladies :-)

She usually has a bath each night with her baby brothers QV soap but i am switching to a different brand this week (DS and dd2 still have eczema flare ups after using it) so will make sure it's soap and fragrance free to see if that makes a difference.

She has also been wearing polyester pants to school everyday so I'm wondering if that could be causing a lack of air flow to the area that could be contributing..

It was just a bit of a shock to see it I think.. She's my oldest and its a bit scary how fast she's growing up.

Thanks again for your information

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Yes, mine doesn't wipe properly and gets it as a result. It's really really annoying... especially as I keep trying to show her how, and at almost 7, she's not keen on me having to do it for her (plus she's in Grade 1 at school, so it's not like I can help her while she's there anyway).

I even had her come in and watch ME do it... weird and awkward but I figured it might be the only way. I then did it to her, to show her just how much pressure she should be applying.

It seems to have worked well as we haven't had any cases of it since.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to SassyMummy For This Useful Post:

2girls1boyplus1  (17-06-2012)