+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    My DD currently has a horrible cough which the doc confirmed is not a chest infection or anything.
    Cough mixture does not help AT ALL
    MIL suggested hot water with honey and lemon dissolved in it and I must admit it has helped quite a bit.
    Good luck OP it's so distressing when they are coughing so much ... Especially at night
    Try honey and lemon xx

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    Do you mean botulism?

In a galaxy far far away....
    Yes, it's botulism. But for anyone over one, honey is great. In fact I have a cough at the moment and took a teaspoon of honey earlier today, worked brilliantly.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Do you mean botulism?

In a galaxy far far away....

Yes - it would mean botulism. Sorry - I copied and pasted from the cyh website. They are not my words!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Dd2 is sick at the moment I'm going to be buying this guys books, have watched a program he was on, his methods are fantastic! http://www.doctoryourself.com/megakid.html

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Thanks
    Reviews
    The only one that is meant to be of any use is Bisolvon. It was recommended to DS by a paed at the childrens hospital to break up the mucus on his chest after having pneumonia. Other than that no I don't use cough medicine and only use decongestants to stop a runny nose.
    I agree. We will do Bisolvon if we have to. (The tablets seem to work better than the mixture and they are really tiny and disolve if they can't swallow it.) And we do decongestants for runny noses as well.

But I agree with pp and reccomend getting tested for Whooping Cough just in case. You don't even have to have a bad cough to have WC. DD1 tested positive to it a few years ago and didn't even have a bad cough at all. We have had viruses with worse coughs than what she had with WC. Myself and the girls have all been really sick with influenza recently but then it developed into chest infections and bad asthma so we always check out lingering or bad coughs here.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Manuka honey is the best!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

shinebrite  (10-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shinebrite View Post
    Dd2 is sick at the moment I'm going to be buying this guys books, have watched a program he was on, his methods are fantastic! http://www.doctoryourself.com/megakid.html

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)
    I'd be cautious with that... From mayoclinic.com-
    "High doses of vitamin C have been associated with multiple adverse effects. These include kidney stones, severe diarrhea, nausea, and gastritis. Rarely, flushing, faintness, dizziness, and fatigue have been noted. In cases of toxicity due to massive ingestions of vitamin C, forced fluids, and diuresis may be beneficial. In postmenopausal women with diabetes, supplemental vitamin C in doses greater than 300 milligrams daily has been associated with increased risk of heart-related death."

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    No cough meds in this house (the only time I personally have used it was when I was working in retail and needed to 'supress' a cough to get through teh day - used to swig senega and ammonia out of the bottle - not recommending that by the way!)

when the kids are chesty we run the vaporisers - found a nice eucalyptus, mint, rosemary and lavander oil...and like bec suggested propping them up on pillows to sleep (with a 'spit bucket' - all class I know) next to their bed [ or should I say MY bed - that's where they usually end up when sick] for mucous and or vomit.
    Lots of clear fluids - avoiding milk.

hope the lurgy leaves your house soon.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    I'd be cautious with that... From mayoclinic.com-
    "High doses of vitamin C have been associated with multiple adverse effects. These include kidney stones, severe diarrhea, nausea, and gastritis. Rarely, flushing, faintness, dizziness, and fatigue have been noted. In cases of toxicity due to massive ingestions of vitamin C, forced fluids, and diuresis may be beneficial. In postmenopausal women with diabetes, supplemental vitamin C in doses greater than 300 milligrams daily has been associated with increased risk of heart-related death."
    http://products.mercola.com/food-matters-dvd/

Suspected reactions, there is actually no scientific proof that they can cause harm. I know a few people that have been cured under Dr Sauls methods. I'm a product of medication 'gone wrong' my hubby was cured without 'crucial' medication the drs wanted him on for the rest of his life. I'm skeptical when it comes to drugs in general, before medication there was nature, it worked, we're still around aren't we.

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to shinebrite For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (10-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I dunno about that, codeine in particular I beleive is known to be pretty good as a suppressant.. however I think perhaps it only works with particular types of coughs, not all.. and codeine is not used with kids very often because it can have much worse side effects. I also think you should take your child to the doctor for such a nasty cough. Also my doctor recommends bissolvin .. and I have used it with my son and it really does work. I don't like to use drugs too often on my kids either.. as a pp said, completely natural remedies have always existed and been pretty useful. At the same time though, medicine definitely has its place and your little one sounds pretty unwell. Any chance it could be an asthmatic type cough?

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub