+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default Cough mix? Yes or no?

After a long night of watching my 4yr old coughing persistently to the point of vomit a few times, I was just looking online for the right cough mix to buy from the chemist this morning when I found an article on the ABC website about cough mixes.

It said that giving your child cough mix particularly ones with suppressants and antihistamines is harmful and according to the US Food and Drug Administration that they are " not only useless, but potentially dangerous" labeling them "placebo" medicines with dangerous ingredients.

I've always given my kids cough mixes for various coughs, chesty, dry etc when they couldn't shake it naturally or it escalated to scenarios like we had last night and I thought that was normal. So am I actually the minority? What are other hubbers thoughts on this?

http://www.abc.net.au/health/thepuls...25/2070052.htm

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I work in Pharmacy and I think they are pretty useless. Sometimes the ones for chesty coughs can help break up the congestion on the chest but that's about it. Waste of $$ I believe .

Thanks
    Reviews
    Cough syrups dont do anything for a cough, but they do line your throat so it's protected to some extent

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by missie_mack View Post
    The only one that is meant to be of any use is Bisolvon. It was recommended to DS by a paed at the childrens hospital to break up the mucus on his chest after having pneumonia. Other than that no I don't use cough medicine and only use decongestants to stop a runny nose.
    Yup that's the one!! I suggest that one to customers. We use crap loads of it in our nursing homes too.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Off topic slightly, but I happened to read this last night off the cyh website

A recent research study showed that for children over 2 years old a single dose of honey in the evening was more effective that a common cough medicine, and more effective than no treatment. Honey should not be given to babies under 1 year old as it may lead to a rare but very serious illness.

http://www.cyh.com/HealthTopics/Heal...np=303&id=1462

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pinkplease3 View Post
    After a long night of watching my 4yr old coughing persistently to the point of vomit a few times, I was just looking online for the right cough mix to buy from the chemist this morning when I found an article on the ABC website about cough mixes.

It said that giving your child cough mix particularly ones with suppressants and antihistamines is harmful and according to the US Food and Drug Administration that they are " not only useless, but potentially dangerous" labeling them "placebo" medicines with dangerous ingredients.

I've always given my kids cough mixes for various coughs, chesty, dry etc when they couldn't shake it naturally or it escalated to scenarios like we had last night and I thought that was normal. So am I actually the minority? What are other hubbers thoughts on this?

www.abc.net.au/health/thepulse/stories/2007/10/25/2070052.htm
    I don't use cough med ..but I would take your child to doc..coughing to the point of vomitting is something I would want checked..

hope he feels better..

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Maybelline For This Useful Post:

Ffrenchknickers  (09-06-2012)

babalooba is offline Being a brother is better than being a superhero
    Thanks
    Reviews
    I think that cough medicines are rubbish too. I do agree about honey, works wonders and is a natural antiseptic

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Maybelline View Post
    I don't use cough med ..but I would take your child to doc..coughing to the point of vomitting is something I would want checked..

hope he feels better..
    Especially with recent outbreaks of whooping cough- coughing til vomiting can be an indicator and even fully vaxxed kids are only about 80% protected.
    That said, I've always used bisolvon for chesty coughs, warm drinks (lemon and honey) for dry coughs for DD.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 postsRuby Star - 15,000 postsDiamond Star - 20,000 posts
    Have never and would never use cough medicine but I would also suggest getting your child tested for whooping cough. Good luck

Busy-Bee is offline Offending people since before Del :D
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    Past Moderator - Thank you
    Agree re bisolvin.
    Can you sit them up a bit at night? I find it always helps if I'm propped up with pillows. Sometimes if it's really bad I've slept sitting up. Keep the room warm, no draughts and lots of drinks of water.