+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    The Rafferty's ones? They're packed full of sugar, even the vegetable ones. A pediatric nutritionist I was talking to on the weekend said they are the worst convenience baby food you can give your baby because they alter the babies taste buds to associate a sweet taste with vegetables so in many cases they start rejecting actual vegetables in favour of the squeeze pouch variety. She likened then to MacDonalds for infants.
    I cook most of DS's food, but when traveling I do buy prepackaged for some meals. I never buy the jars as they usually have cornflour added and taste disgusting....but the RG ones (and Ella's/Only Organic)I have ever brought never have added sugar. They also have many veggie varieties without added fruit.

Just an FYI in case you weren't aware , your source perhaps is generalizing for all packaged baby food which is not the case.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (10-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    You can buy the squeezie packs empty and fill the yourself.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    Wow, that's a great idea for travelling. Where would you buy them from?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IndigoJ View Post
    can you??? where? what are they called?

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by faroutbrusselsprout View Post
    can you??? where? what are they called?
    I want to know too!

I was looking at the shelf for idea of what to cook for ds, didnt intend to buy anything :-) I think the brand i saw was something Garden, it's 100% fruit/veg which surprised me because the ones I saw in Aldi have 99.9% fruit/veg so there should be some preservative in there. At the moment we don't go out a lot and i just breastfeed him mostly, but we plan to go out more to play groups, kindergym when he can crawl and will also have a very long international fly end of this year. So appreciate all your advice on self packed or industrial packed food. Ta
    Sent from my U20i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pesca77 View Post
    I cook most of DS's food, but when traveling I do buy prepackaged for some meals. I never buy the jars as they usually have cornflour added and taste disgusting....but the RG ones (and Ella's/Only Organic)I have ever brought never have added sugar. They also have many veggie varieties without added fruit.

Just an FYI in case you weren't aware , your source perhaps is generalizing for all packaged baby food which is not the case.
    She wasn't generalizing she mentioned the brand specifically in regards to a few patients she was seeing in her clinic. We spoke about it at a conference for health practioners.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    She wasn't generalizing she mentioned the brand specifically in regards to a few patients she was seeing in her clinic. We spoke about it at a conference for health practioners.
    They are 100% fruit or veggie/with meat etc - they actually pride themselves on 'no added anything', I've added a pic of the back of one I have here! Perhaps she has looked at the sugar content for the fruit packs, which would obviously have a high natural amount??

I got told off by DH last weekend when away in TAS, for taking too long in Coles. But I was reading the back of every brand I could find, trying to find the 'best' prepackaged food (DS has allergies).

She's entitled to her opinion of course but the info she is stating is not actually true for that brand. To suggest they're the worst is surprising, considering even the Heinz 'organic' jars have unnecessary crap like cornflour/salt/sugar added. I was shocked, you would assume 'organic' would be the best choice!
    Attached Images

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Pesca77 For This Useful Post:

ilovehats  (10-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    I think the issue is less about added sugars and more about the fact they 'sweeten' the vegetable pouches with fruit. So babies get used to vegetables tasting sweeter than they really do and then reject them in their natural form as they get older.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Nancy - yep, I get that and it's very true, a lot of brands do this. However not all RG pouches of veggie or meat have added fruit, so are not packed full of sugar as that nutritionist is advising people. To suggest they are the worst just surprises me, considering her profession, as I've found many worse than the RG ones (sound like I work for them now!).

Thanks
    Reviews
    Oh I agree completely. I just suspect that is why they are being criticised.