+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lovesushi View Post
    Oh i understand now, thank you. It sounds like making jam. So if I take bub out for a long day, I can cook his food and store when still hot in a sterilised jar and it will be fine for the day, is it right?
    How about just buying a banana while you're out and either mash it or slice it depending on whether you're doing BLW or not? Or just take a banana with you?

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to elleandsam For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (09-06-2012),MegaGuts  (09-06-2012)

Opinionated is offline Winner 2009 - Best Avatar
    You know you love me.
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    As a previous poster suggested, it's easier and safer to just take food you don't have to cook. Plain bread, avocado, banana, a wedge of cheese, and rice cakes are easy to transport, serve and eat.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Opinionated For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (09-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    The fruit squeezy things are fine, don't stress about it. Perfectly safe and nutritious (and convenient!).

6. The Following User Says Thank You to lemonpancakes For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (09-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonpancakes View Post
    The fruit squeezy things are fine, don't stress about it. Perfectly safe and nutritious (and convenient!).
    The Rafferty's ones? They're packed full of sugar, even the vegetable ones. A pediatric nutritionist I was talking to on the weekend said they are the worst convenience baby food you can give your baby because they alter the babies taste buds to associate a sweet taste with vegetables so in many cases they start rejecting actual vegetables in favour of the squeeze pouch variety. She likened then to MacDonalds for infants.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Canning and jarring in order to preserve food has been used in farm kitchens for years No year-round fresh produce supermarket to go to! So foods had to be grown seasonally, and then preserved so that they can feed the family throughout the year.

I remember as a kid, having the kitchen bench and table lined with preserving jars, and Mum cooking fruits & vegies in a massive crock pot and jarring them (Gosh, that makes me sound old.... I'm not really! Just life as a farm kid

On the rafferty's garden squeezy pouches - I think they are mostly fruit, which is why they are so sweet? I'm pretty certain that they actually add any sugar to them, but obviously, fruit has naturally occuring sugar, so any fruit - whether in a rafferty garden pouch, or cooked and pureed yourself, will be sweet. The RG add 'some' vegetables to the pouches, which is really just a token thing - they will be sweeter due to the naturally occuring sugar in the fruit. The few times I gave them to DD, I think of them as fruit, not as vegies - as the vegies are minimal and don't taste like vegies at all. Like with everything in cooking, it's always better if you cook it yourself, but it doesn't mean that it's totally crap food if you don't!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Cinderella82 For This Useful Post:

Purple Lily  (09-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    OP - doing your own jars would work well too but would be fiddly and time consuming (hence why these pre-pack things are called 'convenience foods').

It sounds like you're looking for an out-and-about option and it won't be forming a part of your bub's regular diet and in that case I think the raffertys pouches are a suitable option which maintain a preservative-free diet.

DD had all sorts of foods in her first year or so as we were travelling extensively overseas. Generally we would try to keep it 'healthy' but sometimes it's almost impossible (eg. when customs confiscates your food at 11pm in a new city!). I just tried to make sure that the bulk of her diet was nutrient rich. She's a great eater, apart from the odd phase now and then, and even asked for a bowl of veg (rather than pizza/burger/nuggets) when out for dinner at the pub the other week. So don't stress if you need to keep one of those pouches in the nappy bag for just in case! (definitely DON'T recommend leaving a banana there lol)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

lovesushi  (10-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    The Rafferty's ones? They're packed full of sugar, even the vegetable ones. A pediatric nutritionist I was talking to on the weekend said they are the worst convenience baby food you can give your baby because they alter the babies taste buds to associate a sweet taste with vegetables so in many cases they start rejecting actual vegetables in favour of the squeeze pouch variety. She likened then to MacDonalds for infants.
    Pretty sure there are other brands available that might be better than Rafferty's.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Not all nutrients are destroyed by heat. The ones susceptible to heat destruction are the water soluble vitamins such as vitamin C and many B vitamins. Heat does NOT destroy iron and minerals.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 9/1/15Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 7/11/14Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 3/10/14100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by elleandsam View Post
    I agree.... I try and serve vege and fruit separate so bub doesn't get 'spoilt and picky' in always having sweet tasting food.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by Atropos View Post
    Pretty sure there are other brands available that might be better than Rafferty's.
    They also do options which don't contain fruit...

I have used some of the Raffertys garden, but have also tried Only Organics and Ella's Garden. I use them in moderation and also cook my own food and my DS loves all different types of fruit AND vegetables AND meat so it hasn't done him any harm.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to ilovehats For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (10-06-2012)