+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default No preservative but last a year

I was in Coles today looking at baby food for cooking ideas, most of them claim no preservatives, no added salt/sugar. I picked up 1 jar to read the ingredients it said apple, potato, carrot and nothing else, expiry date 03 04 2013. So if it's just cooked food, no preservative, not frozen, how come it lasts so long?

Sent from my U20i using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It's super heat treated... I am not sure but my guess is this destroys most of the nutrition.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    I think so too - it would be super heat treated ( or possibly even pasturised) so some of the nutrients would be lost, then the commercial vacuum seal in the jar or pouch should also keep bacteria out until opened
    Last edited by Elijahs Mum; 09-06-2012 at 16:56.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    It's cooked fruit/vegetables which is then packed while still hot into sterile jars/sachets with little air in the packaging to contaminate it. This is method of preserving foods that has been used for a long, long time - talk to anyone who grew up on a farm pre-fridges. It will have the same nutrient content as cooked fruit/vegetables.

Do note though that many of these are very high in apples/fruit - low in veg. The sugar in apple is a natural preservative so will improve shelf life, plus makes it sweeter so bub likes it.

5. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Stretched For This Useful Post:

Atropos  (09-06-2012),GuestMember  (09-06-2012),Izy  (10-06-2012),LoveLivesHere  (09-06-2012),lovesushi  (09-06-2012),MissMuppet  (10-06-2012),MrsBeee  (09-06-2012),SassyMummy  (09-06-2012),ThreePeasPlease  (10-06-2012)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Stretched View Post
    It's cooked fruit/vegetables which is then packed while still hot into sterile jars/sachets with little air in the packaging to contaminate it. This is method of preserving foods that has been used for a long, long time - talk to anyone who grew up on a farm pre-fridges. It will have the same nutrient content as cooked fruit/vegetables.

Do note though that many of these are very high in apples/fruit - low in veg. The sugar in apple is a natural preservative so will improve shelf life, plus makes it sweeter so bub likes it.
    This^^^

My parents preserved fruit in using this method for years.

Not all nutrients are lost during heating, but bacteria is.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-pegasus For This Useful Post:

LoveLivesHere  (09-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I agree with above. It's the same method used for jars of pasta sauce or curry etc etc...

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bumMum View Post
    It's super heat treated... I am not sure but my guess is this destroys most of the nutrition.
    Spot on! Heat treating leaves no nutrients so what's the point in eating it?

---------
    Mummie to
    Lucy Alys (July '06)
    Minnie Audrey (July '09)
    Pippi Violet (oct '11)

Mod-pegasus is offline ADMINISTRATOR
    and all that the Lorax left here in this mess was a small pile of rocks with the one word...UNLESS
    Thanks
    Reviews
    The funny thing is that cooking ANY food destroys some nutrients. We should eat all food raw.

I guess the question is how much difference there is between nutrient loss and heat treatment nutrient loss.

Given the foods you listed (potato, apple, carrot) I wouldn't have given my children thost foods at a very young age without cooking. Then again I still don't eat my potatoes raw.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by pegasus View Post
    The funny thing is that cooking ANY food destroys some nutrients. We should eat all food raw.

I guess the question is how much difference there is between nutrient loss and heat treatment nutrient loss.

Given the foods you listed (potato, apple, carrot) I wouldn't have given my children thost foods at a very young age without cooking. Then again I still don't eat my potatoes raw.
    You shouldn't eat potatoes raw at all.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Oh i understand now, thank you. It sounds like making jam. So if I take bub out for a long day, I can cook his food and store when still hot in a sterilised jar and it will be fine for the day, is it right?