+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews

Default Very nervous about birth - looking at c-sec options

Hi,

This may sound ridiculous to some, but I am extremely terrified of giving birth (that's not the ridiculous bit!). I am 15 weeks pregnant with twins and hubs and I have started talking about delivery/birth. I have always been fearful of birth and am hopeless with blood or any type of medical procedure - have fainted often at injections, pap smears, even the optometrist when he put drops in my eyes! It has been getting to the point as I've been thinking about birth, that I was considering looking at having a GA, if at all possible, and waking up to two new babies. However, I've realised I'm probably just fretting insanely, and that it is quite selfish as it is hubs 'birth' as well, and well, want him to experience the birth of his children! My question is......I understand that there are pulling and tugging sensations that can be felt whilst having a c-sec. I'm nervous that I will feel sick and fainting whilst this is occurring. Is this such a problem medically?
    And is it silly to try and distract myself by shutting off my other senses - ie closing my eyes/reading a magazine so that I can visually escape myself from having the procedure done, and listening to music so that I don't have to hear what is being said?
    I feel really silly, but I want to hear from others who have an extreme fear of medical procedures and how they coped, or from others who have coped through their c-sec.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I had to have an emergency c-section under a general after being induced with my twins.
    It was a definite emergency and I didn't consent, 3 years later and I still find it very hard to deal with. I will never get that back.
    Would you consider a vaginal birth with an epidural?

Thanks
    Reviews
    I begged to have my first caesarean under GA but they wouldn't let me, and now I am glad I didn't miss out on that. I did feel very sick during all the tugging though and I think they gave me some drug to minimise it... I found the staff were lovely though and really helped to distact me... probably better than closing eyes/music. They were asking about the baby and names and just really relaxed me so much. They were great.

I would continue doing your research though. What about brooke88's idea of an epidural? Have you thought about different options for a natural birth as well?

4. The Following User Says Thank You to chameleon For This Useful Post:

fudge81  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I had an elective C Section. It was awesome. You have to have a needle in your back for spinal block and one in your arm for your drip. Then it's like a 5 year old is using you as a trampoline. Lots of pressure and pulling and tugging. It's uncomfortable but not that painful.

I felt very sick, it's just your body's way of coping but they gave me a drug and I was okay again. After bubs was out and I had a hold I started to feel sick again and began dry retching but was again given a drug to help that.

I wouldn't have wanted to miss her birth for anything. If you have a GA I believe there's a higher risk to the baby so they have to move quicker, so are often rougher with you. This means your recovery time is longer.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Another option you can look at is an epidural.
    That way you feel little pain and just the pulling, pressure sensation.
    Hubby can be there with you all the way, you can choose when to have an epi put in and who knows you might get to 7cm and go 'hey I can do this'
    OR you have the option of having the epi early on in labour.

And you 'experience' the birth.

Best of both worlds nothing like reading a mag while in active labour...it was an awesome experience for me. And I was beyond scared of birth.
    But I was also scared of a c section.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    You do feel the sensations but it's not so bad. I was really freaked out when the ob told me I'd need a c-section. You won't be able to read a magazine or anything but possibly you could look into having an ipod playing in your ears or something? I'm not sure if that's allowed.

If you aren't good with blood and things then I definitely think you should try for a vaginal birth with and epidural. I don't handle gory stuff well and I would very nearly vomit every time I tried to move after my c-section because my belly and abdomen felt like everything was falling out. It also took me three weeks to get the dressing off my wound. It was horrible. I'd sit there at night with baby oil and a cotton bud trying to slowly pull it off and would be sobbing to my husband. He still laughs at me because I got hysterical one night when there was blood on the cotton tip

If you are the type to faint, I would honestly suggest that a C-section is probably not the best route to start with. It's the recovery that I struggled with. The not wanting to look at or touch my wound, the IDEA that I had been cut open, it was really hard to deal with. I nearly fainted in the shower a couple of times.

In saying that, I am a real wuss so it might not be so bad for you lol and I also had an emergency c-section after a long labour and I know an elective is much easier on the body.

Good luck with whatever you decide. It's never easy. Talk it out with your midwife or Ob and make sure you are totally honest about your fears etc.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to emzluvbub For This Useful Post:

fudge81  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Do you have to have a c-section because it's twins? I'm genuinly ignorant on this.

If you have an extreme fear of medical procedures then I'd definitely avoid a c-section if possible. It is a very intense medical procedure whereas a vaginal birth does not always have to be a medical procedure, and when it is (episiotomy etc) it is not as invasive.

Not having a go at elective c-sections at all, I can completely understand why this is an option women choose and I'm very pro-choice. But to be considering an elective c-section when you have an extreme fear of medical procedures seems like a complete oxymoron.

You feel the tugging and pulling and it's not painful but unpleasant. My teeth were chattering and my arms were shaking uncontrollably from the epidural. As a PP said the recovery can be difficult and when you see that scar you will know you've been through major surgery.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I am also have massive blood/pain/injury fears so I can relate to how scary the thought of giving birth is! As soon as I found out I was pregnant my initial thoughts were of labour. I spent so much of my pregnancy freaking out about all the pain I would be in, and about all the things that could go wrong. I did a bit of research into the forms of pain relief on offer, but reading about the interventions and complications that can arise terrified me further.

When my waters broke I went in for a check up and ended up being induced. Labour wasn't fun, and I was so panicked that I was making things worse for myself. The OB decided to do an emergency ceaser as he was worried about bubs heartrate.

FOB came in to theatre with me to hold my hand. He had to suit up while they gave me a spinal block. Trying to stay still during contractions was pretty difficult but the needles weren't as bad as I anticipated. The spinal block was great, the anesthetist joked about giving me extra drugs because he was convinced I was going to leap off the table! I couldn't feel a thing, they test your sensation with ice to ensure you don't have any sensation. They will also give you an option to have a screen up to block your view, which I did. I didn't want to see what was going on. I barely felt any tugging or other sensation, but the noises did concern me a little.

My recovery was great. This was my first surgery and I was surprised how manageable I found the pain. I freaked out about how much pain I was going to be in so I pressed the button for pain relief every 5 minutes just to keep it away and it I didn't feel anything that night. The next few days I had panadene and voltaren every 4 hours which worked well.

If I was going to have another child I think I would opt for a ceaser. I was so terrified the entire time I was in labour that I don't think I could cope with that again. The ceaser was scary at the time, but based on my first experience I know I could do it again.

I hope you find a way to overcome some of your fears and enjoy your pregnancy!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Tainted For This Useful Post:

fudge81  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by fudge81 View Post
    Hi,

This may sound ridiculous to some, but I am extremely terrified of giving birth (that's not the ridiculous bit!). I am 15 weeks pregnant with twins and hubs and I have started talking about delivery/birth. I have always been fearful of birth and am hopeless with blood or any type of medical procedure - have fainted often at injections, pap smears, even the optometrist when he put drops in my eyes! It has been getting to the point as I've been thinking about birth, that I was considering looking at having a GA, if at all possible, and waking up to two new babies. However, I've realised I'm probably just fretting insanely, and that it is quite selfish as it is hubs 'birth' as well, and well, want him to experience the birth of his children! My question is......I understand that there are pulling and tugging sensations that can be felt whilst having a c-sec. I'm nervous that I will feel sick and fainting whilst this is occurring. Is this such a problem medically?
    And is it silly to try and distract myself by shutting off my other senses - ie closing my eyes/reading a magazine so that I can visually escape myself from having the procedure done, and listening to music so that I don't have to hear what is being said?
    I feel really silly, but I want to hear from others who have an extreme fear of medical procedures and how they coped, or from others who have coped through their c-sec.
    You could try having an epidural and have vagina birth instead of c section it would be much less recovery time and if your not good with blood and stuff the c section wound might be a bit much for you to see my sister had to have an emergency c section and she is not good with blood and stuff and she would cry and be shaking when looking at her stomach when they took the bandage off. I have never had a c section and have only had one baby so far i was scared before having him and didn't know if i would cope but i did with no drugs at all! He was even facing the head up instead of down and they were suprised i was able to push him out and it's also meant to be a more painful birth but i got thru it, so you are capable of it it's normal to feel scared, im now trying for my second and im excited for the next birth it's such an exciting experience that makes you forget the pain

13. The Following User Says Thank You to happy86 For This Useful Post:

fudge81  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Hi guys!
    Thank you soo much for your quick and helpful responses! Just so glad to know that I ain't the only one who feels/felt like this. Posting this has opened my eyes a bit more and will assist in considering other options available.
    Brooke88 - I'm sorry to hear that you had a difficult experience and have struggled with it. But thank you for your advice. I had considered a vaginal birth, however after I found out that we were having 2 babies, and that I was already hesitant about the birth experience due to a low pain threshold too and the fear of not knowing what will happen I guess, I immediately thought that c-sec would be best - for me mentally. And got to thinking that GA may be an option - but I am concerned about how this would be for the babies (and hearing from chameleon, may not be an option anyway!). Although, I had initially ruled out a vaginal birth and the thought completely freaks me out, it would be wise to at least consider due to the recovery times. But I am concerned about the higher risk of needing an emergency c-sec if the first, or even 2nd baby were to be in a difficult position once I'm already in labour. However, having said that, it would probably be better for me to discuss birthing options more with my ob, due to the different recovery times and needing to look after two babies once home!
    And thanks too emzluvbub. It's good to actually hear the experiences following the c-sec. I do understand that it will be a long recovery, but to hear just how it was difficult for you to deal with, may put things a bit more in perspective for me! I feel that I would struggle just the same as you did!
    Grumpybump - hi, the main reason for me is due to having twins, not wanting to go through labour as more things could go wrong and I'd have a higher chance or having an emergency c-sec and my terrible pain threshold/fainting. Plus my ob is open to elective c-sec. Some ob's do tend to lean towards doing c-sec's on twin pregnancies due to it being considered as higher risk. But I guess I need to outweigh also the pain involved after the procedure, and the recovery time. And it does sound silly that I hate procedures, but am considering this route! But the idea of birth freaks me out heaps too!! Can't win! Geez, I'm a big sook!
    And tainted - thanks! I'm going through the same! Last week I thought I'd look at vaginal delivery and started reading up more, and nearly passed out reading about it! Hubs was wondering what the hell was wrong as I was so pale!
    Thanks for all your feedback and sharing your experiences. Just wish that I wasn't a Libran and so indecisive too! I think one min, maybe c-sec, then read something negative, then think pro-labour, then read hideous stories! Wish me luck eh! Lucky I still have a while to figure this out!