+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week

Default Sciatica Nerve Pain

Hi! I need your wisdom! I'm currently in a lot of pain from my Sciatic Nerve. I spoke to the midwife about it and she said there is not much that can be done. She said to try physio, but it didn't help her!! I'm only 14+5, how am I going to deal with this for another 25 weeks??

I don't know if I should be sitting, or lying down or if I should be walking around more. How did you cope with Sciatica issues? What helped you?

Thank you in advance!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    The SRC pregnancy shorts helped my Sciatica, a LOT! I know they're a little pricey, but it's seriously worth it for some relief. I tried both physio and Chiro and found the Chiro to help me more.

In the nice warm shower I would also do figure eights and a Hula hoop type action (as daggy as that sound, but you're hiding in the shower! ) and some gentle stretches like the Cat stretch with the arch of your back on all fours. Good luck, it's one of those things that you can do without in pregnancy.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Mod-Uniquey For This Useful Post:

cheekychook  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you, Uniquey. I have never hear of SRC shorts, I'm looking into the now!! At this point in time I don't care what they cost, I need help!! I didn't go to work today because of the pain and discomfort.

Thank you again. I'm off to do figure eights in the shower!!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Oh hon, it's an awful affliction, I feel about 100 years old when I have to get up off the couch some days.
    If you have private health insurance, some insurers will let you claim on the shorts.

There are reviews on Bubhub regarding the shorts and you will see just how many women they have helped in regards to pelvic pain, sciatica etc, they really do help I find, as I tried the pregnancy belt the physio gave me and it was utterly useless for actual sciatica pain with your legs affected as well etc.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Are you sure it is sciatica? Does the pain radiate all the way down to your toes or does it stop above the knee? If it stops above the knee it isn't sciatica and is probably due to sacro-iliac joint dysfunction, which is common in pregnancy.
    The reason I ask is that physio/support bandages are likely to help for si joint problems, but not for sciatica.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I found getting on all fours in the floor and rocking back and forth helped. I would even do it at work. Seemed to move the baby off the nerve. Short term fix only though.

If it helps my pain definitely eased up in the third trimester.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I feel your pain mine started during my 14th week of pregnancy. I had been to the obstertrician the day before and they said its just pregnancy pain it will go away. Then the next day i was in agony at work, and whilst driving the 30minutes home my left leg went numb all the way to my toes.
    I found that sitting with legs together as often as possible helped so get yourself a pregnancy pillow now. Also heat pack all the time. I was going to physio once a and an osteo once a week but the pain lasted until the end.
    Physio said i wasnt allowed to do simple things like pushing a trolley, cleaning (for me the sweeping and mopping killed i think from repeating an action), and i had to stop standing to one side.

I stopped work at 27 weeks as i was in pain all the time, Goodluck im sure you will find what works for you.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Quote Originally Posted by 4underfour View Post
    Are you sure it is sciatica? Does the pain radiate all the way down to your toes or does it stop above the knee? If it stops above the knee it isn't sciatica and is probably due to sacro-iliac joint dysfunction, which is common in pregnancy.
    The reason I ask is that physio/support bandages are likely to help for si joint problems, but not for sciatica.
    It was me who mentioned the physio belt. Mine was/is deifnitely sciatica, as it's all the way from my backside down to my toes. The physio belt was a myriad of things given to me for PSD which I had as well as the sciatica, but yes, physio belts aren't for Sciatica hence the other options I thought might help the OP.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Thank you for your replies.

I can't be sure what I have, I just told the midwife my symptoms and she said sciatic!! The pain shoots all the way down my leg. At times I struggle to walk. Either way I think those shorts that Uniquey suggested will help.

I also have pain between my legs, in my upper thigh region. I feel as though I've been riding a horse for too long!! Not sure if all these aches and pains are related but I know I'm not really enjoying it! thank you hormones!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    Double post...
    Last edited by cheekychook; 08-06-2012 at 17:17.