+ Reply to Thread
    lambjam is offline Nitwit! Blubber! Oddment! Tweak!
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts

Default Rear-facing question (re lower shoulder height marker...)

Both DS3 and DD are about to graduate out of their current car seats, and I'm all aflutter trying to figure out what to buy.

I see that the current recommendations for convertible car seats are to rear-face until until their shoulders reach the "Lower Shoulder Height Marker".

Can anyone advise when their babies reached this height marker? Until what age or weight would I expect a convertible to remain in rear-facing mode?

TIA
    Last edited by lambjam; 08-06-2012 at 12:34.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    Ds had reached it by 9 or 10 months in the safe and sound meridian

3. The Following User Says Thank You to insanity For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Quote Originally Posted by insanity View Post
    Ds had reached it by 9 or 10 months in the safe and sound meridian
    Thanks heaps for your reply! Would you describe your DS as an average sized baby? DD is nearly 9 months but on the small side; I had hoped to rear face her for 12 months, but now I'm wondering whether we'd get much time at all out of a convertible car seat...

Thanks
    Reviews
    His around 12 kilos now at 13 months (12 corrected) so he is far from small. He has always been very tall though. We left him rear facing while he was on the marker then turned him when he grew a bit over it

6. The Following User Says Thank You to insanity For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Excellent, it sounds like we might get a few months out of it then!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    We have the Hipod Milan convertible car seat and just turned our DD the other day at 14months. She weighs just under 11kg (Seat says it goes to 12kg rear facing but her shoulders were equal with the straps so we had to turn her). She is tall for her age but average weight - so if your daughter is of average height then you could easily get longer rearward facing!

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Isabellabean For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    DS is tall and skinny. I managed to keep him rf in a meridian til 11 months.
    He was only 9.5kg but I think newer convertible seats go by height only not weight. I'm not 100% on that though.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Bluest Blue Box For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Quote Originally Posted by jonnysmama View Post
    DS is tall and skinny. I managed to keep him rf in a meridian til 11 months.
    He was only 9.5kg but I think newer convertible seats go by height only not weight. I'm not 100% on that though.

Sent from my GT-I9000 using BubHub
    Yes, it is height rather than weight. I think I'll have to go into the store and put her into one of the seats to actually see how far she has before growing out of it!

Thanks
    Reviews
    I think most if not all of the safe and sound seats rf until 12 kgs. My DS was rear facing in the compaq (2010 version) until 12 months when he out grew it for height. He is a tall baby 95%+ for height. He wasn't yet 12 kg so I think for an average sized baby you could keep them rf easily past 12 months.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Bin13 For This Useful Post:

lambjam  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Just been looking into this as I'd like to keep bub rear-facing as long as possible. He is 11months but just reached the 9kg limit on his current seat. Purchased the SnS Platinum (hope it fits in my car) for ease of use and height marker that will allow him to be in it longer (he's a shorty). Found this site that covers the height/weight/age issue really well http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/...der6months.htm

From this I get that height is the most important factor in the RF vs FF debate. Hope this is helpful to others.