+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    i sterilised until my son started crawling (nearly 10yrs ago because that was the 'done' thing).

this time, i never sterilised at all - again, the hospital advised me of this as it helps build their immune system. which makes perfect sense imo, especially when they start solids and crawling.

my baby girl is now 8mo and i still boil then cool the water for her formula, simply because we are rural and are on tankwater (not scheme). but she drinks enough of the bathwater that i wonder why i even bother!

Thanks
    Reviews
    My ds had room temp bots when we switched to formula at about 12 weeks. We stopped sterlising at around 8 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Everything goes in the dishwasher in our house and that water heats to a high temp so I'm happy with that. I did steriliser in our old house though.

I boiled all the water I gave my DD for the first 12 months then bought a good quality water filter/chiller cause can't stand tap water myself. These days all my 3yo DD has to drink is water and milk.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    Busiest Member of the Week - week ended 14/11/14100 Posts in a week
    DD2 was prem and spent time in NICU. I had to express and I attended a milkroom talk specifically for the cleaning and prep of bottles for NICU babies. I was told to wash the bottles in normal dishwashing liquid and rinse off in very hot water. It didnt have to be boiling at all. They said that sterilising bottles is no longer necessary because it can be more beneficial for babies to recieve a small amount of bacteria and the amount that is found on baby bottles (as longas they arent really really gross) is negligable anyway. As for boiled water, I think it is standard practise to use cooled or warm boiled water for formula until you stop using it, something about removing the excess chlorine and as much other stuff in the water as you can, or something like that.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to DesperatelySeekingSleep For This Useful Post:

BaronessM  (09-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    Awards:
    100 Posts in a week
    I stopped sterilizing DD1s bottles when she was about 2 or 3 months old, and stopped using cooled boiled water then as well. DD2 I never "sterilized" her bottled as hot soapy water is enough. Stopped using boiled water when she was about 6 weeks old.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Be careful with using the dishwasher, although they heat up, they harbour bacteria.

Soap and hot water clean 99pc of germs, as a PP mentioned.

A PP also said doesn't formula dissolve better in warm water ~ and this is so true. Depending on your formula, you get horrid teat-blocking lumps with cold water.

We usually boil water in the kettle for tea/coffee anyway, so at that time if there's any left over, will put it in any prviously prepared clean bots, then either make up the formula once it's cooled to the recommended 40-60 celcius, or let it cool and microwave the water for 15 seconds till warm when needed for mixing (that is, of course, if you have a microwave and are happy using it for this purpose). Much easier having bottles measured to the correct quantity already when you have a hungry bub in the middle of the night, as lots of people don't like pre-mixing their formula. The hospital nurses recommended to us that formula can be pre-mixed and stored for no longer than 24hrs.

Once bub is 6mo, if you prefer to sterilize, it's personal pref what you do with your water prep, assuning you're on town water, not tank water.

Thanks
    Reviews
    re - warm water....i used to fill bottle 3/4 with cooled boiled water then when required add formula then measure out rest of water needed with hot boiling water. Made it warm enough to help disolve formula and instant perfect drinking temp!!!

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    DD's 5 months and I sterilise her bottles once a week now. I also use half cold water (pre-boiled) that's in the fridge and just reheat whatever is in the kettle.

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 postsEmerald Star - 10,000 posts
    On our formula tin instructions (Karicare goat) it said mix with cool, boiled water , so I also never warmed his bottles! From 6 months we stopped sterilizing and we use the spring water from our water cooler , my friend is a pediatric nurse and she said the same as pp,s , sterilizing is not necessary ( nor can we ever actually get anything "sterile" as as soon as the bottles hit the air bacteria/germs get in anyway ) just rinse thoroughly after each use and either top shelf of the dishwasher or warm soapy water