+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts

Default When can I stop sterlising bub's bottles and using cooled boiled water in them?

Just wondering at what age I can stop sterlising DS2s bottles and using cooled boiled water to make them up? He is almost 8 months and I live in Melbourne.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 postsAmethyst Star - 5,000 posts
    It is my understanding that it is no longer recommended as necessary, so the official answer is - from birth.

However it is my understanding that many parents still take these precautions until their LO starts solids (typically around four to six months old).

There are also some extra-vigilant people that keep it up until twelve months old.

If you live in an area with poor water quality, then I would continue to do so, but otherwise I would stop when LO begins solids.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stopped sterilising when DS started crawling and putting things in his mouth, seemed pointless! 6-7months.

I used cool boiled water when DS started getting bottles, and switched to just straight tap water at about 7months aswell. I know at daycare they continued it til 12months, but I had stopped at home well before then.

Thanks
    Reviews
    12 months for sterilising. Dried Milk harbours nasty bacteria so nothing really to do with if they put stuff in their mouth or not...i used cooled boiled water to make up formula from 3 months tho x

Sent from my GT-I9100T using BubHub

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ShanandBoc For This Useful Post:

SugarSkull  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    About 4 months i stopped. Both my kids were moving around early so i didnt see the point anrmore. They put so much cr@p in their mouths from moving around!

I warmed their milk til about 12 months.

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I stopped as soon as they were crawling and getting into stuff, didn't really see the point.
    Nowadays it's just recommended to clean with hot water and let air dry.

Thanks
    Reviews
    My DS is 8 months and likes to drink out of the kitchen tap, so I have stopped giving him boiled cooled water to drink, but I still make his bottle up with water from the kettle as I do find it mixes better and he likes it warm.

I stopped sterilising at 6 months, and now everything goes into the dishwasher.

Thanks
    Reviews
    I stopped at 5 months. There is so much conflicting info on this topic.
    I figured well shes eating food from a bowl and spoon that I don't sterilize so why not.
    As for the cool water I was only anal for the first few months now she just gets what I give her and thats cooled water most of the time

mummy to gods gift to us

Made in England is offline thought it was about time I put something other than 'senior member'...
    Thanks
    Reviews
    we never sterilised. The hospital told us it was no longer necessary and that washing in hot soapy water with a good clean bottle brush, rinsing and leaving to air dry was enough.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Made in England For This Useful Post:

halloweendee  (08-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 postsAmber Star - 2,000 posts
    I stopped at 6mths because my steriliser broke. My sister in law never sterilsed because her drs told her it was unnecessary and they had no problems from it.