+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Reviews
    Achievements:Topaz Star - 500 posts
    Can't remember where I read it (in a sleep book by an actual sleep expert, though), but having a big sleep before midnight and then waking more frequently after that is the 'normal' thing for a baby that age. Sleep whenever you can. It will settle before too long and be easier to make changes

2. The Following User Says Thank You to wrena For This Useful Post:

Bubbles10  (09-06-2012)

Thanks
    Reviews
    I've got a 6 wk old as well and we have nearly the same problem. With my 1st I always did b/feed at 6:30pm then bed at 7pm. She is now nearly 3 and we still do the same except a cup of milk. Now that the new bub is here, we've decided to slot him in with the same routine. Yes, he does now have a big stretch from around 7:30-11:30 ish then after that it's every 2 hrs then every hr from say 4 or 5am till 8am. But, that's just life with a new baby. I try to make sure he hasn't slept too long and late for his arvo sleep but sometimes can't help it. My theory is that as long as I remain consistent with the bed time routine, it'll all even out sooner or later. Did with our 1st bub so hopefully will with this one. We tend to hop in to bed around 8:30-9pm to help combat this.
    I'm tired too but as I said, I guess it's just parenting. X

Thanks
    Reviews
    Does your bub feed often in the afternoons? I would maybe try offering extra feeds in the afternoon/ early evening - many babies 'cluster feed' around this time, and if they feed, say, every 2 hours through the afternoon/ early evening, that sometimes helps. My dd used to spend an hour on, an hour off breastfeeding in the afternoons. I know that is easier said than done when you have other children to look after!

I would also perhaps try to wake the bubs up for a feed before you want to go to bed - so,put bub to bed, if they normally go to sleep at 6:30, sort out your other children (lol), wake bubs up at 8:30 - 9ish, give them a feed then, and then go to bed and let the bub go as long as they can, and hopefully bubs will move their big stretch of sleep a bit later in the night? This way, if baby is having their big stretch of sleep, you're also sleeping at the same time, so you won't be so exhausted. I also used to wake my DD up throughout the day, by 3 - 3.5 hours if she hadn't woken to demand a feed earlier.

I know many people don't agree with this approach and would rather wait until baby demands the feed, but honestly, if you're exhausted and struggling to cope & have other children to look after, it might be worth giving it a shot!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Thanks everyone. Im really unsure now whether to do a late bedtime routine and hope he goes a long stretch from 10 or 11pm OR bath and feed him same time as toddler and try to get into bed myself at 9pm.

The first option is more attractive to me as this is when I get some work for my business done and I study too, but there are no guarantees that bub will sleep a long stretch after 10-11pm.

Also bub is naturally only expected to sleep through which is really 5-6 hours for quite some time? So another pro for the long stretch of sleep to be after 10-11pm.

However last night I tried pushing bubs bedtime routine back to 830pm- I gave him a feed and bath after toddler went to bed and after I had dinner. He went to sleep at 9pm and I
    woke him at 11pm for a feed. He then woke at 2:45am and 6am. So he had a 4 hour (almost)sleep from 11.30pm..

I also haven't really made much of an effort to wake him and cluster feed of an early evening and have let bub set the pace and he has snoozed on and off quite content..however he was cluster feeding early on but now seems to be more settled and really sleepy of an evening.

Thanks
    Reviews
    So so so so soooooo normal. I haven't read replies so sorry if I repeat but I'd go to bed as early as possible, NOT wake bub to feed and just ride out the 2 hourly wakings until that pattern changes itself.

ETA that long stretch (before midnight especially) is the best quality sleep bubs get apparently!

Thanks
    Reviews
    Well bub is going really well, has a bath same time as the toddler then we have our tea and toddler and bub go to bed. I have been waking bub for a feed around 10.30pm before I go to bed and he then wakes for a feed about 2 or 3am then again at 5 or 6am - very doable!
    Thanks for all your suggestions.